The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

As far as I’m concerned this is a good pick on what I imagine is a difficult week @Mancitydoogle
It may not get the listens it deserves. I could be in the same boat next week, but I think you probably have the more difficult slot.

On second listen, I feel pretty much the same. I think the first four songs are very strong, but it started to lose my interest a little bit. I think the reason may be that it nearly strays out of country and into country and western but just about manages not to.
I think in country there definitely is an element of never being happier than when they are making you miserable and country and western just brings it to parody level and I have little to no time for it.

However like the other day Songs That She Sings In The Shower pulls me back strongly and the follow up New South Wales maintains my interest.

Personally I haven’t warmed to Super 8, as I kind of see it as totally out of synch with the album. Variation is good, but I don’t know if it is adding anything.

Yvette and Relatively Easy bring a strong finish to the album. I like both of them.

This album will be played all this week and I’ll be interested to see what my mate thinks of it when he and his wife come around tomorrow evening. It’s an album that is easy enough listening to play in the background with company.

You have me really thinking about my own choice for next week, as what I have been listening to has been quite downbeat. I think this album is very good but is bordering on the depressing at times, whereas a couple of albums I’m considering are slow, melancholic, even sombre at times but always melodic and I find them offering a hope and comfort rather than being depressing. I just don’t know if this place would be ready for two similar paced albums in a row.
Not listened to this yet but melancholic floats my boat, there is a difference between that and downright miserable and as you say there can be something uplifting about melancholy. Not that you’re just aiming to please me…

ive listened to some more recent Jason Isbell before after reading some good reviews. I remember liking it but not necessarily putting it down as one to return to. Nowadays the slightly introspective singer songwriter market seems a little crowded, currently listening to Stephen Fretwell Busy Guy

Had a listen before the game and it was ok. I liked the first song, although I wasn't a fan of his voice for some reason. I think the backing music needed something a bit more soothing, but maybe that's just me. The next 3 were decent as well - I had high hopes for this album! I wasn't a fan of the rest of it though, it was just a bit samey for me. It's not to say I didn't like it, just I found my mind wandered a bit if I'm honet.

Overall, it's decent and I am starting to appreciate the genre a lot more but after a good start, the album just stayed in a familiar style.

6/10

Southeastern – Jason Isbell

As I’ve already noted, I don’t own any Jason Isbell albums, but thanks to my Spotify subscription, I have listened to a number of them over the last few years. I can safely say that Southeastern is his best. It’s got that gritty singer-songwriter vibe that any fan of Springsteen, Mellencamp or Steve Earle can appreciate, and whilst it tackles some weighty subjects, it still manages to find a nice balance between the sombre tales and the more upbeat material.

Although “Travelling Alone” treads the familiar territory of somebody feeling worn down by living life without a partner, the sparse acoustic guitar sweetened by the violin is a beautiful sound. The fact that the violin is played by Isbell’s wife, Amanda Shires, makes it all the more poignant. In fact, Shires’ violin also pops on “Stockholm” and whilst it’s just two tracks, she contributes significantly to the sound of the album.

“Elephant”, which deals with a woman dying of cancer, is the kind of song that any serious artist would be happy to craft once in a career. Not just because of the subject matter, but again the combination of the lonesome music and the way it’s sung – it’s such a beautiful song.

I also enjoyed “Live Oak”, Isbell’s take on a murder ballad. The music is simple, but his words are arresting, and the combination is superb. The storytelling is top-notch on a number of tracks, including on “Yvette”, where the protagonist appears to be preparing to take a child abuser out with a rifle.

But it’s not all doom and gloom. Jason Isbell shows he has a knack for hooky choruses on both “Flying Over Water” and “Songs That She Sang In The Shower.” In “Super 8”, when he tells how he got into a fight and “they slapped me back to life And they telephoned my wife”, it’s reminiscent of Steve Earle’s “The Week of Living Dangerously” and that’s not bad company to keep.

This album is one of a number produced by Dave Cobb in recent years, and it’s obvious why he’s so in demand because he always gets the most out of his artists, presenting their music in the best possible light. For the record, other Cobb albums I’ve enjoyed include Great Western Valkyrie (2014) and Feral Roots (2019) by Rival Sons, Things That Can’t Be Undone by Corb Lund (2015), Sleeping Through The War by All Them Witches (2017), Between The Country by Ian Noe (2019) and Renegade by Dylan Leblanc (2019).

The Wikipedia page for Southeastern states that producer Cobb encouraged Isbell to record the vocals for this album in one take, and it probably suits an album that presents such personal and uncomfortable tales. Cobb’s brilliant production puts Jason Isbell’s voice and acoustic guitar front and centre for most tracks but allows for the tasteful backing provided by Amanda Shires’ violin and other musicians as necessary.

I read in an insightful review that Southeastern is Isbell’s Tunnel of Love or Blood On The Tracks except with a happy ending. He finished the album around the time he married Amanda Shires, and added to the fact that she contributes to the superb music attests to the fact that it is a much happier affair than those two classic divorce albums.

Although I’d already heard this album several times before, thanks to @Mancitydoogle for “forcing” me to listen to it again, which I’ve done a few times over the last couple of days. I really loved this album and I’m delighted to give Southeastern 9/10.

Southeastern – Jason Isbell

As I’ve already noted, I don’t own any Jason Isbell albums, but thanks to my Spotify subscription, I have listened to a number of them over the last few years. I can safely say that Southeastern is his best. It’s got that gritty singer-songwriter vibe that any fan of Springsteen, Mellencamp or Steve Earle can appreciate, and whilst it tackles some weighty subjects, it still manages to find a nice balance between the sombre tales and the more upbeat material.

Although “Travelling Alone” treads the familiar territory of somebody feeling worn down by living life without a partner, the sparse acoustic guitar sweetened by the violin is a beautiful sound. The fact that the violin is played by Isbell’s wife, Amanda Shires, makes it all the more poignant. In fact, Shires’ violin also pops on “Stockholm” and whilst it’s just two tracks, she contributes significantly to the sound of the album.

“Elephant”, which deals with a woman dying of cancer, is the kind of song that any serious artist would be happy to craft once in a career. Not just because of the subject matter, but again the combination of the lonesome music and the way it’s sung – it’s such a beautiful song.

I also enjoyed “Live Oak”, Isbell’s take on a murder ballad. The music is simple, but his words are arresting, and the combination is superb. The storytelling is top-notch on a number of tracks, including on “Yvette”, where the protagonist appears to be preparing to take a child abuser out with a rifle.

But it’s not all doom and gloom. Jason Isbell shows he has a knack for hooky choruses on both “Flying Over Water” and “Songs That She Sang In The Shower.” In “Super 8”, when he tells how he got into a fight and “they slapped me back to life And they telephoned my wife”, it’s reminiscent of Steve Earle’s “The Week of Living Dangerously” and that’s not bad company to keep.

This album is one of a number produced by Dave Cobb in recent years, and it’s obvious why he’s so in demand because he always gets the most out of his artists, presenting their music in the best possible light. For the record, other Cobb albums I’ve enjoyed include Great Western Valkyrie (2014) and Feral Roots (2019) by Rival Sons, Things That Can’t Be Undone by Corb Lund (2015), Sleeping Through The War by All Them Witches (2017), Between The Country by Ian Noe (2019) and Renegade by Dylan Leblanc (2019).

The Wikipedia page for Southeastern states that producer Cobb encouraged Isbell to record the vocals for this album in one take, and it probably suits an album that presents such personal and uncomfortable tales. Cobb’s brilliant production puts Jason Isbell’s voice and acoustic guitar front and centre for most tracks but allows for the tasteful backing provided by Amanda Shires’ violin and other musicians as necessary.

I read in an insightful review that Southeastern is Isbell’s Tunnel of Love or Blood On The Tracks except with a happy ending. He finished the album around the time he married Amanda Shires, and added to the fact that she contributes to the superb music attests to the fact that it is a much happier affair than those two classic divorce albums.

Although I’d already heard this album several times before, thanks to @Mancitydoogle for “forcing” me to listen to it again, which I’ve done a few times over the last couple of days. I really loved this album and I’m delighted to give Southeastern 9/10.
Your welcome Rob, great review
I’ve heard a few of the Dave Cobb productions but there‘s a few on that list
i’ll now have a listen to now.

Sorry not for me.
Cover me up the vocal annoyed me.
The only 2 songs i liked were Traveling Alone and Flying over water.
Prefer Ryan Adams and the Cardinals doing this type of show,investigate them if you have the time.
Shame because i liked him in the Drive By Truckers. 4/10.

Your welcome Rob, great review
I’ve heard a few of the Dave Cobb productions but there‘s a few on that list
i’ll now have a listen to now.
Whilst I don't think it's the best album from that lot, Ian Noe's "Letter To Madeline" is one of the best story-songs I've heard for years:-

I gave a first listen yesterday and will again today. I really liked what I heard. Strong songs that all tell a story, well sung and nicely played. He is not an artist I know much about at all but I already know I will play this album again and it has piqued my interest enough to explore other stuff he has done. Will reserve a score until I have listened a few times more. Thanks @Mancitydoogle for introducing me to this.

Sorry not for me.
Cover me up the vocal annoyed me.
The only 2 songs i liked were Traveling Alone and Flying over water.
Prefer Ryan Adams and the Cardinals doing this type of show,investigate them if you have the time.
Shame because i liked him in the Drive By Truckers. 4/10.

Shame you didn’t like the vocals, when I chose this album after the DBTs
i kept with it because although in the same genre it is very different.
As I’ve said on the other thread if I don’t like the vocals i invariably don’t like the album.
i‘m a big RA fan despite his Me too problems, here‘s a track from his latest album
about our beloved city of Manchester

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.