The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

Jason Isbell
Southeastern
I think on the whole Bluemoon is enjoying going down the Americana rabbit hole!

@Mancitydoogle as I posted earlier on I really enjoyed your write up and yet again I am now onto another artist that I have never listened to previously - Great work!

There are some lovely bits throughout the album encapsulated nicely within the first couple of tracks on the album in Cover me up and Stockholm.

Some of the album is so delicate (if that's the right word) and refined it sort of borderlines something that Damian Rice would produce. Bizarrely I'm not an admirer of Rices output but I don't really mind it on this album.

That saying, as others have mentioned it potentially runs slightly thin for the full duration of an album for me.

I'm more than comfortable with him not making a 'happy' album as it was referred to in it's synopsis on p200 but I think that can still be varied in style and pace throughout an album which I don't feel that this one does.

Possibly my own misplaced preconceptions again but I did think that this would land somewhere closer to country-rock.

I am certainly interested enough to visit some of his other output but this one isn't quite as gripping as I hoped so for that reason I think we are landing on a 5/10.

This is based on 3 full run throughs and a bit of track shuffling towards submission deadline.

As an aside, whilst he does have a decent voice, I'd somehow mentally connected some dots that aren't there and given him a voice closer to Bradley Cooper's in A star is born. An older and deeper voice - some reason it has taken me quite a while to break that link that never existed. He sounds really young (I have no idea how old he actually is).

Happy new year Blue Mooners.............

Week #14 done and dusted. You wouldn't have thought it possible, but there was a tiny gap on the scoreboard between Kate Bush (6.79) and Oasis (6.81) and Jason Isbell has slotted right in there. Southeastern got 10 votes and scored an impressive average of 6.80, so well done to @Mancitydoogle for a great pick that takes 5th place on the leaderboard.

Hopefully with Christmas and New Year out of the way, we should see an increase in the number of votes.

We areheading for the end of round #1 and over the next couple of weeks, we hope to have nominations from @BimboBob and @crublue1 - let me know how you are fixed chaps.

But for week #15, @mancity2012_eamo is raring to go, so let's have it!

Southeastern, and Isbell are brilliant. Love the vinyl. When a bluemooner came to visit me in the states, I got him tickets to Isbell at the Ryman theater in Nashville.

An Album club I run regularly rates Isbell super highly. Along with Kathleen Edwards. If you like Isbell, give Kathleen a listen.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.