The Album Review Club - Week #140 - (page 1844) - Lovers Electric - Lovers Electric

"Pretty Vicious" the song also remind me of INXS's "Devil Inside" musically in parts too.
Minus an insanely catchy riff of course.

Well done — I was going to mention INXS too but was afraid of a @RobMCFC reprisal and you are so right about mid/late 80s “second life” Aerosmith.
I don't think this is anywhere near INXS's level - I'd put money on even @OB1 agreeing with that.

However, there is an interesting observation here (from my perspective at least). INXS got caned on here, so I fully accept that one of my favourite bands is generally not well liked in our group. No problem with that, it probably happens to all of us. I've seen another band I put up for review, King Swamp, described as INXS-lite or INXS-wannabes in the press of the time, and that album got a good pasting as well. So I am definitely learning that whatever I think of a band, there's a certain type that is definitely not be worth nominating on here.

Still tempted to nominate Bon Jovi at some point though :)

I don't think this is anywhere near INXS's level - I'd put money on even @OB1 agreeing with that.

However, there is an interesting observation here (from my perspective at least). INXS got caned on here, so I fully accept that one of my favourite bands is generally not well liked in our group. No problem with that, it probably happens to all of us. I've seen another band I put up for review, King Swamp, described as INXS-lite or INXS-wannabes in the press of the time, and that album got a good pasting as well. So I am definitely learning that whatever I think of a band, there's a certain type that is definitely not be worth nominating on here.

Two things:

On the back of your lamentations I went back to the King Swamp album. It was imho harshly dealt with and irrespective of genre preferences there was quality on show.

Deffo nominate Bon Jovi at some point, they've sold bucket loads of records and are loved by many. I can't abide them but they will form a good topic of discussion if we can all keep it civil.

INXS at their best are a higher level than The Struts. The Struts are still developing though.

I like Bon Jovi - at their best - better than both. Slippery is a classic :)

I’m not overly bothered about how many points my nominations score but I obviously hope more people will enjoy than not, or that it promotes some discussion.

Not sure what I am going to nominate next.

The Struts - Pretty Vicious

I’ll throw some more comparative names in the ring - Def Leopard, Primal Scream, Toploader and Feeder.

I understand the generic argument and lyrically it’s all pretty simple and harmless - but found myself nodding along to pretty much most of this, there’s a lot of backing (Horns/Piano) sounds which help the tracks move at a good pace. It’s upbeat and catchy, all songs sounds like they could be singles.

I think they suffer from producing this in 2023 - it’s all polished and clean and lacks the rawness and authenticity of rock in previous decades, I’m not sure if it’s there fault we’re all FOC that have heard it all before.

Anyhow. I’ll go with 6

Last edited:
Found it bland and nothing stood out for me
Listened again last night first time for days after reading some of the reviews

Get the Bryan Adams and Inxs links,no great fan of either but nothing really grabbed me still.
I can understand the mixed reviews but I will not follow up listening to any other stuff by the Struts.
Nothing in this for me but then again nothing too bad for a ready low score.5

Overall an enjoyable listen to "new music". This thread in general has opened my ears to so much that I simply havent bothered with and this is even truer with anything made post (probably) 2010.

All of my listens to this have been in the car performing "dad's taxi" or my commute and it has like @OB1 (and daughter) made the trips enjoyable so that simple fact has to merit it a reasonable score.

It has been funny reading the posts this week and seeing the ever growing list of comparitors....Queen, the Stones, Aerosmith, Mott The Hoople, three Doors Down, Plain White T's, Little Sngels, The darkness, Bay City Rollers, 5SOS, Def Leppard, Primal Scream, Toploader, Feeder....

I also got a little bit of INXS, but clearly the later more polished period, but also yesterday I perhaps damned this by also seeing comparisons to ..Roxette!

The whole comparison thing with other bands is very interesting especially when looking back over recent weeks and the discussions over the importance of the vocalist to carry the tracks/album, the production and of course if it is Rock or Pop. Here I think the singer does a good job and possibly did spend a long time in his formative years imitating Tyler or Hutchence in the mirror. I like a big sound and they have tried to do that on a few of the tracks with all the orchestration/brass.

Clearly not as attitude/anthem/beer fuelled as Oasis but certainly going for the mass audience, trying to produce something that will cross over...which, coming back to the match day travels, it has clearly done. That said, the fact that it has crossed the divide means that its fairly "middle of the road". I dont think it particularly rocks my world or that of many others...and is simply, very nice/pleasant and enjoyable.

Apart from the first 2 tracks I did find that much of it washed over me so it will be a slightly better than middling 6 from the Derry jury

It is interesting looking at the overall ‘charts’ to see what is popular and what is not. There are definite themes if you start to categorise albums. Some real surprises as to where some classic albums end up. Red for example.

I’m debating putting a real classic up next time. Red, I think, is rather niche.
Same here - as with DM recently (Manc bias aside) it’s interesting to get people’s views and thoughts on albums that have great appeal to the poster who puts the album up for discussion

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.