The Album Review Club - Week #140 - (page 1844) - Lovers Electric - Lovers Electric

Found this week’s pick fine overall and I suspect it might grow on me if I listen to It a bit more but still it was nonetheless lacking something for me at this point.

I found myself comparing it to an album by another couple that occasionally crosses my mind to nominate at some point, and this pick suffered in comparison in two ways. Firstly, the album in question was written after one of the two nearly died of a rare illness and secondly the singer in the duo has a highly distinctive voice. These two things give the album in question a fragile and slightly pensive sense that pervades and unifies the album. It ruminates on the nature of relationship and love in a way that is lyrically similar to tracks on Lovers Electric but with a perspective that despite being less forceful still feels more ‘real’ than some of the tracks on here. As others have said I don't know how much I "believed" some of what they were saying here. I also think Eden Boucher’s voice on this is ok but nothing special. The, I think, deliberately quirky instrumentation and production choices didn't really work for me either.

I think this duo are actually better the poppier they get, as Fog said there are elements of New Order lite (and others) at times which I think is ok because they’ve not got the substance (ho ho) to do a heavier weight job of that sound.

Quite palatable - 6/10.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.