The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

If I was alive and online at the time I would have ( which I rarely if ever Metallica aside ) guessed the album and group off the bat purely for the fact that I have this album along with Vulture Street ( they love their cricket ) and Double Allergic their breakthrough album and IMO their best track for track.

Brisbane band who were around for 21 years Bernard Fanning decided to go it alone albeit he was recording solo albums before then.

This album cleaned up all the Aussie Awards one could and anybody who has listened to radio over here who hasn't heard of any of their many singles ( 6 released off this album alone ) and submitted one for Mission Impossible II if memory serves me correctly would have to be Waiting for the Sun as they say.

Their biggest selling album and perhaps the album that cemented them into Australian Music royalty.

The bands influences are very obvious hence the name.

if we had a couple more Aussie B'Mers with a liking for music moonlighting I am sure the album would have been identified earlier again only for the reason that band and album are extremely well known amongst the music fraternity over here as is Stanley and Manure loathers of course.

Speaking of which Waiting for the Sun although this single was not the smash hit others on the album were it is IMO the best by far of the many hit singles off the album albeit I prefer 2 tracks that were not released as singles on the album but I have to admit I did buy the album which I don't often do off the back of Waiting for the Sun.

These Days and My Happiness are still flogged to death on FM radio daily in 2024 and with a few tracks as exception have " outgrown" Bernard Fanning and Co " who started recording solo albums when Powder Finger was losing their mojo.

As they say if you like Travis and Oasis and attempts to bring Neil Young to life in alternative rock format this one should be pleasant to the ears.

7/10.

Last edited:
@mancity111 ....thanks the write up, better than I would have managed, if I had, had the time!
Not a patch on what you would have crafted if you had more time.

The band are legend status over here having 5 number one albums from a smallish catalogue and lead singer Bernard Fanning hung on nearly as many female teenage walls as Michael Hutchence albeit being originally from Brisbane it took sometime for his star status in Australia to rise.

Only Midnight Oil and ACDC with much larger catalogues have equalled this feat.

They never gained any success of note overseas despite a number of tours and I would expect a number of mooners that engage in or look on this thread to have never heard of them.

While I prefer to look for and listen to niche artists as a rule the sheer financial means required to stay afloat for any length of time in the music industry if you want your music heard by the masses means listening to commercially successful artists more often than I would like to but Powder Finger are comfortable for me sitting in either category.

As they say if you like Travis and Oasis and attempts to bring Neil Young to life in alternative rock format this one should be pleasant to the ears.
Fantastic overall write-up @mancity111. What you described above sounds like a great combination and makes me even more excited to give them a listen to.

I see Crowded House, Hoodoo Gurus, The Church, Midnight Oil, and others in their Spotify Radio, so right up my alley.

Fantastic overall write-up @mancity111. What you described above sounds like a great combination and makes me even more excited to give them a listen to.

I see Crowded House, Hoodoo Gurus, The Church, Midnight Oil, and others in their Spotify Radio, so right up my alley.
The Church , at the risk of incurring some ire from Rob , Steve Kilbey is one of my favourite songwriters , our equivalent to Paul Westerberg assuming such a beast exists and as a result I listen to much more of The Church than the others you mention notwithstanding he was born in England we still claim him as one of ours.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.