The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Been busy at work so I have struggled to give this enough listens for a vote.
On my one listen last night far too long and i had lost interest long before the end.
It would have been the shortened version for me but again i have not had the time for more listens for a vote..

Apologies to @RobMCFC I haven’t had the time to give this justice this week. My supposedly 16 hours a week job has been full time plus for the last couple of weeks mopping up after a mess that was none of our making. What time there has been for listening to music has mainly been comfort stuff.

I did start listening to this on the way back from the Burnley match last week when I’d tired of the desperation of the Talksport phone in. I found the piano heavy sound not to my liking but who knows what repeated listening would have brought me.

I was intrigued by the choice. Only really familiar with the obvious track which is on my playlist list of one offs. I did read a glowing review of a recent album in Uncut sometime ago which made me think it was worth a listen but I didn’t get an immediate hit from it and moved on.

Hopefully things petering out a little bit at work and I’ll be able to return to this and give this week’s pick a fair go but it seems unfair to submit a score based on half a listen.

Bruce Hornsby - Spirit Trail

I've never used the expression before but to me this is the ultimate 'Dinner Party' Music. Very nice and upbeat in the background.
Was probably one to many jazzy/piano songs that I struggled to connect with although i did enjoy 'King Of The Hill' and 'Sneaking Up On Boo Radley'
My favourite was definitely 'Line In The Dust' - really nice pace and song, 'Fortunate Son' was also good.
So the ones that swayed more towards 'The Way It Is' rather than the jazzy numbers.
clearly a talent musically and a artist i'll explore more when i have time.

6/10

Thanks to everybody who managed to give this a listen: it's a long album and thanks also for getting your votes in early.

8 hardy souls managed to rise to the challenge of listening to a piano-fest, giving Bruce Hornsby's Spirit Trail an average of 6.56. Just behind Purple Rain in the table, so he's in good company.

Next up is @GornikDaze, so whenever you are ready, sir.

Thanks to everybody who managed to give this a listen: it's a long album and thanks also for getting your votes in early.

8 hardy souls managed to rise to the challenge of listening to a piano-fest, giving Bruce Hornsby's Spirit Trail an average of 6.56. Just behind Purple Rain in the table, so he's in good company.

Cheers Rob - enjoy your break!

Firstly, apologies to those who enjoy the suspense of the guessing aspect of the thread. I’ve never mastered posting pics on here and my grasp of cryptic crosswords is poor at best. With respect therefore, I will just dive straight in.

Muse don’t seem to get much air time on this thread. I’m expecting this to be a controversial choice so I’ll put my cards on the table and say I’m not now a huge fan. Their general popularity is without question with seven consecutive releases topping the UK album charts.

I think it’s a sign that age is creeping up on you when you utter the words - I used to like them back in the day but I don’t like their new stuff.

I used to love Muse back in the day. Their first two studio albums are immense. For me Absolution is the pinnacle of their output. It showcases some amazing musicianship and the wide range of their creativity.

Love him or hate him Matt Bellamy is musical genius. His guitar playing is incredible and his sound unique. He’s not too bad on the piano, and in Jaded Hearts Club he plays bass.

I first saw them touring this album at Earls Court following their iconic performance on the pyramid stage in the summer of 2004 - which in itself is worthy of a watch on YouTube. Their energy and connection with the audience was amazing and it remains one of the best gigs I’ve experienced.

Absolution is a very varied, emotional roller coaster of a listen. The highs for me are Hysteria, Time Is Running Out and Stockholm Syndrome on the heavier side and the amazing Butterflies and Hurricanes which highlights Bellamy’s musical capabilities.

The follow up to Absolution was the more popular Black Holes and Revelations which had a few more ‘popular’ hits. We were at the Wembley gig which was released as the HAARP album but as good as that was it highlighted (for me) a shift to the more popular stuff that they went on to put out which quite frankly IMHO is shit. Give me heavy, give me Plug In Baby, Muscle Museum and all the old stuff any day of the week.

Interestingly given Rob’s piano heavy pick, Absolution has its fair share of ivory tinkling - he likes a bit of Rachmaninov! I hope this generates some chat - love it or hate it.

Muse - Absolution

Nice!

I've always liked Muse and reviewed two of theirs

probably over scored them looking back, but they did do some monster tracks.

Look forward to giving Absolution a go! Know 'Time Is Running Out' and 'Hysteria' especially, a band that gets a lot of Radio airtime on X

Cheers Rob - enjoy your break!

Firstly, apologies to those who enjoy the suspense of the guessing aspect of the thread. I’ve never mastered posting pics on here and my grasp of cryptic crosswords is poor at best. With respect therefore, I will just dive straight in.

Muse don’t seem to get much air time on this thread. I’m expecting this to be a controversial choice so I’ll put my cards on the table and say I’m not now a huge fan. Their general popularity is without question with seven consecutive releases topping the UK album charts.

I think it’s a sign that age is creeping up on you when you utter the words - I used to like them back in the day but I don’t like their new stuff.

I used to love Muse back in the day. Their first two studio albums are immense. For me Absolution is the pinnacle of their output. It showcases some amazing musicianship and the wide range of their creativity.

Love him or hate him Matt Bellamy is musical genius. His guitar playing is incredible and his sound unique. He’s not too bad on the piano, and in Jaded Hearts Club he plays bass.

I first saw them touring this album at Earls Court following their iconic performance on the pyramid stage in the summer of 2004 - which in itself is worthy of a watch on YouTube. Their energy and connection with the audience was amazing and it remains one of the best gigs I’ve experienced.

Absolution is a very varied, emotional roller coaster of a listen. The highs for me are Hysteria, Time Is Running Out and Stockholm Syndrome on the heavier side and the amazing Butterflies and Hurricanes which highlights Bellamy’s musical capabilities.

The follow up to Absolution was the more popular Black Holes and Revelations which had a few more ‘popular’ hits. We were at the Wembley gig which was released as the HAARP album but as good as that was it highlighted (for me) a shift to the more popular stuff that they went on to put out which quite frankly IMHO is shit. Give me heavy, give me Plug In Baby, Muscle Museum and all the old stuff any day of the week.

Interestingly given Rob’s piano heavy pick, Absolution has its fair share of ivory tinkling - he likes a bit of Rachmaninov! I hope this generates some chat - love it or hate it.

Muse - Absolution

Fucken.... BOOOOOOOO

(on the lack of guessing/clues, not on the album choie)

I realy hope we don't lose that side of it, with a couple recent moans or moments of laziness.

Without looking at the scores I assume the distribution was pretty tight? Which would chime with I think both it's strengths and weaknesses. The quality on show was sufficiently high that you'd have to be pretty curmudgeonly to be scoring this poorly. On the other hand because he is so adept at taking from multiple genres it doesn't lean heavily in a single direction so might not 'stir the blood' as Sadds used to say, sufficiently to get into the highest scores. Like last week though nice to have something less divisive than other recent picks.

Muse on the other hand may well put us back in polarised territory!?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.