The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Fucken.... BOOOOOOOO

(on the lack of guessing/clues, not on the album choie)

I realy hope we don't lose that side of it, with a couple recent moans or moments of laziness.
Yeah, same here - we've got competitive streaks to maintain! ;-)

I could think of some good images for this week's selection that would have worked, but then again, looking at the timestamp on when this week's selection was introduced, I would have been MIA on it Zzzzz.. ;-)

(I'm still chuckling on the Kaiser Chiefs redirect I threw in on Mr. Dove a couple weeks back too)

Bruce Hornsby - Spirit Trail

I've never used the expression before but to me this is the ultimate 'Dinner Party' Music. Very nice and upbeat in the background.
I think that would be a great use of this music selection, and others have mentioned it was good on in the background while working too.

The only problem I had there is missing and glossing over lots of the lyrics, until becoming familiar with the selection as a whole. I was missing a good amount of that when focused mainly on the piano as something in the background.

I'll be swapping this in for Aphex Twin this week. ;-)

Another one for me that will count as useful 'education'.

I don't own any Muse, I mostly remember being put off by a level of faux profound and slightly histrionic vocal gurning that the lyrics couldn't carry the weight of. I had the impression the lyrics were somewhat crasser than Matt Bellamy thought they were. Rightly or wrongly that put me off paying much attention to them.

I'm somewhat familiar with at least a couple of tracks off here as I think they were fairly big hits but to all intents I'm coming to it cold so it'll be interesting to see what I make of it 20 years later (blimey doesn't time fly).

I don't own any Muse, I mostly remember being put off by a level of faux profound and slightly histrionic vocal gurning that the lyrics couldn't carry the weight of. I had the impression the lyrics were somewhat crasser than Matt Bellamy thought they were. Rightly or wrongly that put me off paying much attention to them.

I'm somewhat familiar with at least a couple of tracks off here as I think they were fairly big hits but to all intents I'm coming to it cold so it'll be interesting to see what I make of it 20 years later (blimey doesn't time fly).
I think my kids were 10 and 8 when we saw them in 2004 - time definitely flies!!!

As someone who fits Gornik's 'I liked their old stuff' category of 'fan' of Muse, I don't think I've ever really paid much attention to their lyrics! Or thought much over them. It was always more about the instrumental side of it for me.

I think context is important. Their first two albums came against a backdrop of 'stripping back' musical skillboating, seeking consistency and definition of sound and style, being indie, non-mainstream, etc. And on the other hand a bit of high machismo elsewhere. 'Math Rock' guitar style, while it existed previously had not yet been defined or at least not taken the rebirth direction it is associated with today. So for them to come along with almost beethoven-esque instrumental displays and signatures, arguably rooted in romanticism/classical movements, was quite bold and fresh I think. Particularly as it was still rock and electric, and wild, while also being rich and 'intellectual', for lack of a better word. Absolution I think toned that down for a more general rock 'anthem' feel, but it was still there. At some point after that, it either wore off, became a bit tedious, or just couldn't maintain the quality and felt diluted. Can't put my finger on it but I lost interest, and felt I didn't have room for disappointment of whatver new almost yearly (at least that's what it felt like) album they would churn out.

I think my kids were 10 and 8 when we saw them in 2004 - time definitely flies!!!

It does indeed. Thinking about it, if I remember rightly much of my ire towards them was based on tosh like Knights of Cytonia and Uprising, which sounded almost like parodies to me, but they were later than this album and having just flicked through the singles I remember from this one I don't have the same recollection of thinking they were naff so I'm getting my hopes up for this pick.

As someone who fits Gornik's 'I liked their old stuff' category of 'fan' of Muse, I don't think I've ever really paid much attention to their lyrics! Or thought much over them. It was always more about the instrumental side of it for me.

I think context is important. Their first two albums came against a backdrop of 'stripping back' musical skillboating, seeking consistency and definition of sound and style, being indie, non-mainstream, etc. And on the other hand a bit of high machismo elsewhere. 'Math Rock' guitar style, while it existed previously had not yet been defined or at least not taken the rebirth direction it is associated with today. So for them to come along with almost beethoven-esque instrumental displays and signatures, arguably rooted in romanticism/classical movements, was quite bold and fresh I think. Particularly as it was still rock and electric, and wild, while also being rich and 'intellectual', for lack of a better word. Absolution I think toned that down for a more general rock 'anthem' feel, but it was still there. At some point after that, it either wore off, became a bit tedious, or just couldn't maintain the quality and felt diluted. Can't put my finger on it but I lost interest, and felt I didn't have room for disappointment of whatver new almost yearly (at least that's what it felt like) album they would churn out.

Useful context, thanks.

As an aside, I've never really been sure what does or doesn't constitute 'Math Rock', having bemoaned certain bands I then get told by my eldest that I can't on the one hand like King Crimson and The Mars Volta and then go moaning about math rock. To which my answer of course is that as long as I'm paying the bills round here I can do what I like.

Useful context, thanks.

As an aside, I've never really been sure what does or doesn't constitute 'Math Rock', having bemoaned certain bands I then get told by my eldest that I can't on the one hand like King Crimson and The Mars Volta and then go moaning about math rock. To which my answer of course is that as long as I'm paying the bills round here I can do what I like.

That's the wikipedia definition, sure enough. But applied retrospectively, imho. I don't particularly remember anyone using the term before say 2005. Then it suddenly seemed used for anyone that included the most basic of harmonics in a song. For me it is Minus The Bear and Maybeshewill that probably best fit the definition.

Back to Muse, started Absolution, and as predicted 3 songs in jumped back to Origin of Symmetry which I think was much bolder with all that. But I can also see why I went off them, at one point it just felt a bit 'Aye we get it mate, you can dae arpeggios'.

What's happened to Mr Fog.
I just found him today in this thread as I'm hearing some very positive and reliable rumblings that City will be hopefully playing a preseason friendly match this Summer very close to me, and perhaps having a home base close by as well.

If this works out, it's going to be a very fun 3rd week of July here! :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.