The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Muse - Absolution

Just as good as the previous releases.
Hits 'Time is running out', 'Hysteria' and 'Stockholm Syndrome' are all huge rock anthems and there's very few fillers on here.
riffs going on everywhere, love the odd drop in pace and piano bridges that appear out of nowhere.
I can get why vocally and the high amount of constant energy can become a bit tiresome for some but Muse for me prove once again why they are one of the best bands of 2000+

8/10

An 8.5 from me. Yeah I know that's pretty much a 9 and I'm being a pain in the arse, but it is symbolic. Origin of Symmetry would have got a straight up 9 and this falls a little bit short of that. But more than an 8 for me.

An album that I mostly liked back in its day, and I probably was too harsh on at the time. It suffers from the classic 'third album' syndrome. Big expectations, trying too hard not to look like it is following the formula of the two before, and trying too hard to go big and get more mainstream. But still has good songs and without the burden of the previous two, would be good in its own right.

Listening back to it, I think I must have skipped through a lot of the slower songs because I felt knew them less. So it did offer something 'new' in a way.

Butterflies and Hurricanes and Hysteria are great songs. Went back through their first 2 albums as well, so 3 for the price of 1 was a great throwback for me. Whereas if OoS was nominated, I probably wouldn't have gone beyond it so i'm glad it was this.

An 8.5 from me. Yeah I know that's pretty much a 9 and I'm being a pain in the arse, but it is symbolic. Origin of Symmetry would have got a straight up 9 and this falls a little bit short of that. But more than an 8 for me.

An album that I mostly liked back in its day, and I probably was too harsh on at the time. It suffers from the classic 'third album' syndrome. Big expectations, trying too hard not to look like it is following the formula of the two before, and trying too hard to go big and get more mainstream. But still has good songs and without the burden of the previous two, would be good in its own right.

Listening back to it, I think I must have skipped through a lot of the slower songs because I felt knew them less. So it did offer something 'new' in a way.

Butterflies and Hurricanes and Hysteria are great songs. Went back through their first 2 albums as well, so 3 for the price of 1 was a great throwback for me. Whereas if OoS was nominated, I probably wouldn't have gone beyond it so i'm glad it was this.
As a matter of interest if I’d nominated Black Holes how would you have scored that? Probably a 6 at best for me - not really heard it in ages so maybe it would be lower

As a matter of interest if I’d nominated Black Holes how would you have scored that? Probably a 6 at best for me - not really heard it in ages so maybe it would be lower

Off the top of my head a 6 would be me being generous for the sake of their first 3. Haven't listened to it in ages, but it is the last of theirs I bought, and gave them a good break after it.

I must be in a minority here.

I found it very samey in a lot of places and his voice quite droney. Plus bits were the guitar work on a couple of tracks plus the bass. Obviously the big hit songs like Stockholm Syndrome are pleasing to my ears, as was the start to Small Print but the rest of the album left me a little cold. Intro, Interlude, Blackout...which could easily be a radiohead song etc etc.

Time is Running Out is a great number but then he starts the whining singing again and I'm instantly put off.

I know they have a formula, and a winning one at that, but to my delicate and lovely ears it's all a bit dull apart from a couple of highlights.

6/10

In a parallel universe, sometime in the late 80’s in Devon, a kindly music teacher took a young boy called Matthew to the blackboard and said I’d like you to write the following 100 times please Matthew:

I will show restraint and remember that sometimes less is more.​

In that parallel universe I like Muse a lot more than I do in this one.

The first minute of the album isn’t a great start for me. Intro and the beginning of Apocalypse Please set a tone of bombast and self-importance that alienated me (a bit rich coming from me but I only inflict my self-importance on my family and internet unfortunates like you lot, not on millions across the world). From there, despite liking a reasonable amount of it in small doses, I struggled to like this as a whole album. Songs like Time Is Running Out are fine to listen to on their own but when multiple songs culminate in a similar fashion it becomes a bit wearing for me. I did have high hopes on first listen because the early part of Sing For Absolution starts in pleasing contrast to what had gone before and implies the album might pace itself nicely, but by three minutes in we were back to a similar style of crescendo as the previous tracks, which was beginning to sound semi-hysterical, and this set the tone for the album as a whole for me. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory simply through an inability to rein it in.

Part of my issue is the way Matt Bellamy delivers his falsetto vocals, in fact all his vocals, as if he is singing the most important lyric ever delivered. Even when there is a welcome change of pace, he doesn’t seem to be able to vary his vocals to fit them. Maybe it’s a case of not willing rather than not able, because for example in chunks of Falling Away with You he manages to restrain himself but then it’s like he decides ‘I’ve gone a whole two minutes without emoting, fuck that for a game of soldiers’. To be fairer he manages to some degree on Blackout and Endlessly but these two on their own are insufficient to create the level of light and shade I really wanted to hear.

I also think there’s pretensions here of being a bit ‘more’ than rock music but the issue for me is it doesn’t create the sense of theatre that I think it hopes to, not only is Bellamy’s voice not strong enough to carry it off across an album but also the music is sometime too busy to create any depth of atmosphere. It begins to sound jittery rather than powerful, which might be the intent but to me diminishes what would be their finer points. Contrast this with a very different type of album that we’ve reviewed, Curtains by Tindersticks. This too had a very distinctive and arguably devise singer but because the overall style of the music was much less frenetic than this album, it managed to achieve its filmic aspirations in the way I don’t think this one manages.

Don’t get me wrong it’s far from awful but there’s a difference between having great skills and knowledge and then deploying them in the service of creating a great song and more to the point a great album. Quite a few of the singles from this album I’m happy to listen to in isolation but together they are too much and the tracks that do show restraint are insufficient to create a rounded album for me.

6/10

Re what your spotify plays after, that is tailored to you based on what you listen to. It wouldn’t be the same for me for exampe, it woukd pick 'similar bands', but from a selection of what it thinks I'm likely to like. Fun fact.
Agreed with this and I saw the same thing with Fog's Tubes album last fall. However, I've not listened to any Pumpkins on Spotify as I have some of those albums on my local device. I know that Playlist thread music is probably messing me up too, but it hasn't been too much on The Black Keys, etc. AI knows me better than I think it does, perhaps.

In a parallel universe, sometime in the late 80’s in Devon, a kindly music teacher took a young boy called Matthew to the blackboard and said I’d like you to write the following 100 times please Matthew:

I will show restraint and remember that sometimes less is more.​

In that parallel universe I like Muse a lot more than I do in this one.

The first minute of the album isn’t a great start for me. Intro and the beginning of Apocalypse Please set a tone of bombast and self-importance that alienated me (a bit rich coming from me but I only inflict my self-importance on my family and internet unfortunates like you lot, not on millions across the world). From there, despite liking a reasonable amount of it in small doses, I struggled to like this as a whole album. Songs like Time Is Running Out are fine to listen to on their own but when multiple songs culminate in a similar fashion it becomes a bit wearing for me. I did have high hopes on first listen because the early part of Sing For Absolution starts in pleasing contrast to what had gone before and implies the album might pace itself nicely, but by three minutes in we were back to a similar style of crescendo as the previous tracks, which was beginning to sound semi-hysterical, and this set the tone for the album as a whole for me. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory simply through an inability to rein it in.

Part of my issue is the way Matt Bellamy delivers his falsetto vocals, in fact all his vocals, as if he is singing the most important lyric ever delivered. Even when there is a welcome change of pace, he doesn’t seem to be able to vary his vocals to fit them. Maybe it’s a case of not willing rather than not able, because for example in chunks of Falling Away with You he manages to restrain himself but then it’s like he decides ‘I’ve gone a whole two minutes without emoting, fuck that for a game of soldiers’. To be fairer he manages to some degree on Blackout and Endlessly but these two on their own are insufficient to create the level of light and shade I really wanted to hear.

I also think there’s pretensions here of being a bit ‘more’ than rock music but the issue for me is it doesn’t create the sense of theatre that I think it hopes to, not only is Bellamy’s voice not strong enough to carry it off across an album but also the music is sometime too busy to create any depth of atmosphere. It begins to sound jittery rather than powerful, which might be the intent but to me diminishes what would be their finer points. Contrast this with a very different type of album that we’ve reviewed, Curtains by Tindersticks. This too had a very distinctive and arguably devise singer but because the overall style of the music was much less frenetic than this album, it managed to achieve its filmic aspirations in the way I don’t think this one manages.

Don’t get me wrong it’s far from awful but there’s a difference between having great skills and knowledge and then deploying them in the service of creating a great song and more to the point a great album. Quite a few of the singles from this album I’m happy to listen to in isolation but together they are too much and the tracks that do show restraint are insufficient to create a rounded album for me.

6/10
I was tempted to simply say...ditto
After a few listens enjoyed the power of it but I almost felt a little disappointed. The fact that I did enjoy so much of it, but then there were the factors like Matts voice and the "formula" that detracted from it.
I did enjoy much of the driving bass on many as it recalled that of "Bugpowderdust" which I love.
So apart from the singles I alighted on "Endlessly" as being my fave track for the fact that it did break from the rest of the album and almost cleansed the palate.
Big sound and certainly enjoyable a 7 from the Derry jury

A few weeks ago I went to London. For the cup game as it happens and to start with it was just going to be me and my lad, driving down, staying overnight at a Premier Inn on the outskirts. Nice and easy. Then his mate got a ticket, then his mate's dad, then his mate's brother and then his mate's brother's mate who sorted us tickets on the train. From Crewe, not Macclesfield. And then we were staying near Euston and going on the lash. Me at 60 and four 20 odd year olds and a much younger dad. It was great. But fucking exhausting. A bit like listening to this album. And if you think that's a terrible analogy be grateful I dumped the one about having an enthusiastic and demanding younger lover...

I'm probably a listen short from being as definitve as I'd like to be and most of my listeing to this has been in the car and in short bursts for the most part. I commented earlier that I was enjoying the earnest gransiosity of it and repeated listens didn't chnage that. I'm not familiar with Muse but I think this album is what I expected of them. Everytime I got to tire of it a bit there was a hook or chnage of direction to refresh me. And then a track like Endlessly which was kind of the equivalent of finally getting back to the hotel room for a break and taking your shoes off... etc.

It doesn't make me want to explore more Muse but I certainly think there are occasions I'm going to want to listen to this again. It probably loses a point or two for being just too long and for not having quite enough variety but warrants a 7.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.