The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Flooding certainly threw me off track but work is a bigger issue at the moment, time wise.
Probably a good time to ask: Are you OK to nominate in the next few weeks?

NOTE TO ALL: The schedule may be fluid over the next few weeks - depending on OB1's answer and Foggy has already asked to be moved until later on in the round. BlueHammer is stepping in this week but as ever, can everybody be ready to jump a week or two forward if needed. Thanks.

Absolution - Muse

An album I know very well in being a fan, so this week was both enjoyable for the listens and for looking more at this album in context of their overall library. Great selection, @GornikDaze

The hits off of this were obvious and most Muse fans are familiar with them both from the album and as constant concert staples.

7 of their songs off this album played the most in their concerts over time include:
#2: Time Is Running Out
#3: Hysteria
#8: Stockholm Syndrome
#12: Interlude :-)
#18: Butterflies and Hurricanes
#25: Apocalypse Please
#44: Sing for Absolution

I'm actually a bit surprised "Sing for Absolution" wasn't higher, but the point being, the hits off this album are heard at a good many of their concerts over the years and have stood the test of time with fans.

Muse were going with a bigger sound on this album vs. their first two, and they well achieved it here. "Time Is Running Out" was their first Top 10 hit, and I think this album and the overall sound they started here forms the framework of what they went on to do with future albums over the next 10 years.

My favorite of the songs not hits include:

"Falling Away with You" - like Rob, I also enjoyed the fingers on the strings sound, the contrast between soft and loud, the lyrics are good, and I like how it just ends into Interlude for a seamless transition.

"Blackout" - really enjoy the orchestra on this track, and it's that kind of variance of instruments and offerings that makes this. A sad melancholy song about not "growing up to fast", while "embracing the past". I think Matt Bellamy's voice really matches the mood on this one. Once the guitars come in with the orchestra at 2:25, it is on and what really gives this its distinctiveness as it builds towards its epic end.

"Endlessly" - the low-key approach on this song was well done, and the synths driving this was a very nice touch. The sampling and added guitars that are sprinkled in mid-song helped make this as well. I liked Matt's vocals again on this song, one of his better ones.

"Thoughts of a Dying Athiest" - great fast paced song and then the guitars

"Ruled by Secrecy" - the closer, begins as a quite piano piece, then really builds towards its climax both vocally and with the loud keys. They'd perfect the closer on the next album, but this one isn't that bad either. ;-)

I look at Muse as more alternative rock (like Powerderfinger) than indie rock (like Doves). It's also interesting all three of these recent album selections were made within three years of each other too for a similar timeframe comparison as well.

While I get the Radiohead comparisons too, these bands were striving for different sounds during this time period, and I don't look at one as a copy of the other. We also know which band was first too. ;-)

Also interesting that the tracks that played on Spotify for me right after this were Smashing Pumpkins, Queens of the Stone Age, Weezer, and The Black Keys. Loud and established alt rock bands, the first one listed was what Muse was reminding me of the most, especially with very distinct vocalists in both bands.

Absolution set Muse up for their next 3 studio albums being alt-rock staples, and their next live album HAARP would be another favorite of mine and many fans as well. It's 8/10 for me here.

Absolution - Muse

An album I know very well in being a fan, so this week was both enjoyable for the listens and for looking more at this album in context of their overall library. Great selection, @GornikDaze

The hits off of this were obvious and most Muse fans are familiar with them both from the album and as constant concert staples.

7 of their songs off this album played the most in their concerts over time include:

I'm actually a bit surprised "Sing for Absolution" wasn't higher, but the point being, the hits off this album are heard at a good many of their concerts over the years and have stood the test of time with fans.

Muse were going with a bigger sound on this album vs. their first two, and they well achieved it here. "Time Is Running Out" was their first Top 10 hit, and I think this album and the overall sound they started here forms the framework of what they went on to do with future albums over the next 10 years.

"Falling Away with You" - like Rob, I also enjoyed the fingers on the strings sound, the contrast between soft and loud, the lyrics are good, and I like how it just ends into Interlude for a seamless transition.

"Blackout" - really enjoy the orchestra on this track, and it's that kind of variance of instruments and offerings that makes this. A sad melancholy song about not "growing up to fast", while "embracing the past". I think Matt Bellamy's voice really matches the mood on this one. Once the guitars come in with the orchestra at 2:25, it is on and what really gives this its distinctiveness as it builds towards its epic end.

"Endlessly" - the low-key approach on this song was well done, and the synths driving this was a very nice touch. The sampling and added guitars that are sprinkled in mid-song helped make this as well. I liked Matt's vocals again on this song, one of his better ones.

"Ruled by Secrecy" - the closer, begins as a quite piano piece, then really builds towards its climax both vocally and with the loud keys. They'd perfect the closer on the next album, but this one isn't that bad either. ;-)

I look at Muse as more alternative rock (like Powerderfinger) than indie rock (like Doves). It's also interesting all three of these recent album selections were made within three years of each other too for a similar timeframe comparison as well.

While I get the Radiohead comparisons too, these bands were striving for different sounds during this time period, and I don't look at one as a copy of the other. We also know which band was first too. ;-)

Also interesting that the tracks that played on Spotify for me right after this were Smashing Pumpkins, Queens of the Stone Age, Weezer, and The Black Keys. Loud and established alt rock bands, the first one listed was what Muse was reminding me of the most, especially with very distinct vocalists in both bands.

Absolution set Muse up for their next 3 studio albums being alt-rock staples, and their next live album HAARP would be another favorite of mine and many fans as well. It's 8/10 for me here.
Glad you enjoyed revisiting this - if you listen closely you can hear me and the Gornik family on the HAARP album. As I mentioned in my intro, after this it all went downhill for me. The first three studio albums are immense the fourth okay and then a plunge into the abyss!!
It seems most folk have enjoyed this which is always nice :)

Absolution - Muse

Re what your spotify plays after, that is tailored to you based on what you listen to. It wouldn’t be the same for me for exampe, it woukd pick 'similar bands', but from a selection of what it thinks I'm likely to like. Fun fact.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.