The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

I have physically just arrived in Nashville, and after (delayed) watching a City Foden hat trick, I'm back to live updates, including the album selection here.

I can confirm after driving by the Grand Ole Opry on my way in that @threespires was not yet seen. However, I will see if I am able to find him at Central BBQ tonight, though I'm not sure I will. Memphis famous dry rub ribs will be consumed in trying.

On the topic here, this is not an artist I am familiar with (surprise! :-)), but I'm very much looking forward to listening to it while I am in Nashville. I have my Premier League Morning pass ready for City's match vs. Crystal Palace, so will see if I can find threespires among the other Blues present at 5:30am CT. ;-)
Are you hanging around for the NBC fanfest this weekend?

I went to CBBQ last year — superb! As I think I mentioned, was just there a couple of weeks ago. Really fun vibe. Lots of bachelorette parties btw!

I have physically just arrived in Nashville, and after (delayed) watching a City Foden hat trick, I'm back to live updates, including the album selection here.

I can confirm after driving by the Grand Ole Opry on my way in that @threespires was not yet seen. However, I will see if I am able to find him at Central BBQ tonight, though I'm not sure I will. Memphis famous dry rub ribs will be consumed in trying.

On the topic here, this is not an artist I am familiar with (surprise! :-)), but I'm very much looking forward to listening to it while I am in Nashville. I have my Premier League Morning pass ready for City's match vs. Crystal Palace, so will see if I can find threespires among the other Blues present at 5:30am CT. ;-)

As I replied to Foggy, sadly I am not; though I'm very keen to make it one day.

Are you hanging around for the NBC fanfest this weekend?
Yes, as I noted prior, I'll hopefully be there bright and early on Saturday AM for the City v. CP match outside. That was a bonus of the eclipse trip being announced after the fact. This is all assuming I don't imbibe too much Friday night and can make the 05:30am start.
I went to CBBQ last year — superb! As I think I mentioned, was just there a couple of weeks ago. Really fun vibe. Lots of bachelorette parties btw!
I gave this week's selection of Allison Moorer a good first listen as we drove around the town this evening. Maybe it was the venues, maybe it was the vibe, but the missus and I both liked it, a lot!

More to come, I'm sure. 2nd and Broadway was packed as usual, hoping to get to see more tomorrow when I'm not beat from a 5 hour drive with a camper in tow as was the case from today.

Inspired choice by tp , any music of any genre when performed well is worth listening to.

Allison Moorer is a special talent and IMO this album is right up there with her best.

Would have preferred all songs to be original if I was knit picking but a CCR classic is a close second.

Country rock is no exception , one of the best written songs of the modern era is entrenched in country rock /pop.

Be good to listen to this one again as like the other Alison I have followed her career closely since I heard debut single.

Ignoring genre labels I do hope a few people will be able to hear her (and Greenberg's) qualities.

Agree re, the cover and normally if someone is going to do a cover I'd say do something different with it which she doesn't; but there's always an exception to the rule and I enjoy her pretty faithful reproduction almost as much as the original.

Alison Krauss is sufficiently different in style that I might still consider her in a future round, however let's see how this does or doesn't go down first!

Yes, as I noted prior, I'll hopefully be there bright and early on Saturday AM for the City v. CP match outside. That was a bonus of the eclipse trip being announced after the fact. This is all assuming I don't imbibe too much Friday night and can make the 05:30am start.

I gave this week's selection of Allison Moorer a good first listen as we drove around the town this evening. Maybe it was the venues, maybe it was the vibe, but the missus and I both liked it, a lot!

More to come, I'm sure. 2nd and Broadway was packed as usual, hoping to get to see more tomorrow when I'm not beat from a 5 hour drive with a camper in tow as was the case from today.
Cool go meet Joleon Lescott and touch the trophy too! I’ve gotta get up at 4:15 am Saturday for the match. But it’s 4:24 am right now — I'm used to it for work!

Last edited:
As I replied to Foggy, sadly I am not; though I'm very keen to make it one day.
Oh I knew that, I was just playing up the potential for Foggy's question as I originally understood what you meant when you noted we/this thread were collectively going to Nashville.

Well played and I'm looking forward to a second listen today. Nashville is nice as it isn't too big a city, but the restaurant, brewery, scenery, and bar scene appears to rival the best of US cities.

I've mostly been here traveling through for work, so looking forward to seeing more this week.

(I'll still be looking for you on Saturday ;-), though I doubt those in the UK will see us given this is just a US NBC broadcast from here). And I may have a few words with Tim Howard on his overt Arse-love on-air cheerleading since last year. Hoping that turns out the same way this season.

Oh I knew that, I was just playing up the potential for Foggy's question as I originally understood what you meant when you noted we/this thread were collectively going to Nashville.

Well played and I'm looking forward to a second listen today. Nashville is nice as it isn't too big a city, but the restaurant, brewery, scenery, and bar scene appears to rival the best of US cities.

I've mostly been here traveling through for work, so looking forward to seeing more this week.

(I'll still be looking for you on Saturday ;-), though I doubt those in the UK will see us given this is just a US NBC broadcast from here). And I may have a few words with Tim Howard on his overt Arse-love on-air cheerleading since last year. Hoping that turns out the same way this season.

So I take it that NBC Fan Fest is basically a two day football 'party' with beer etc open to fans of all clubs (though no doubt focusing on the PL) ?

Just imagining how 'messy' that would get over here!

Eh, leave Timmy be. We are so so so lucky to have the NBC team we have compared to the absolute shite in the UK. All the pundits at NBC are balanced and knowledgeable in their approach, especially on a relative basis. Hell, Tim is the only ex-rag I can abide (other than Tevez, but after his shenanigans that was definitely a love/hate).

Now if you were going to harass some US-based pundits, go after chronically-underprepared idiot Alejandro Moreno on ESPN. At least Burley and and Nicol give credit where it's due.

If any of you in the UK really feel like slapping someone, find Tom Rennie who does the Sirius XM FC radio morning show over here from there. Regularly trashes City (despite being a West Ham fan), and a smarmy, unfunny twat-and-a-half to boot. Convinced he does US radio because Brits absolutely hate him and no one wants to look at him.

Anyhow, what were we talking about again . . . ?

So I take it that NBC Fan Fest is basically a two day football 'party' with beer etc open to fans of all clubs (though no doubt focusing on the PL) ?

Just imagining how 'messy' that would get over here!
The fans who attend are mostly fans of one of the EPL teams, so yeah, it will have it all. I'm sure there will be some MLS fans too, but given the televised focus is the daily slate of EPL matches that NBC/USA/Peacock televises, that's what you mostly get given that's what the pre and post match coverage will focus on.

I've not been to one before (saw the one in Philly on TV last year), but I reckon it doesn't get too messy given it starts at 5:30am CT and there should be more coffee than beer flowing at that time of day.

I walked past the setup today and it is coming along right against the Cumberland River. 2 degrees C and a steady wind is forecasted, so I'll see if I'm still up for it given what happens Friday night. We caught the Fleet Street British Pub for a pint at the end of the Palmer hat trick, and that sure was a delicious finish off of the Rags today.

Fan Fest runs through the day's matches, but I don't plan to stay past City/CP given I've got to check out and then have 3 more hours to drive to the eclipse totality zone that day.

And OK Foggy, I'll leave Timmy alone. ;-) I don't expect to see any ESPN "talent" there.

And to stay on-topic, halfway through the 2nd playthrough after some hot chicken today, and very much enjoying this selection.

Found this interesting enough so far to want to listen to a bit more of her stuff and given the choice, based on what I’ve read I’d give the Hardest Part a go.

As mentioned in the review though it’s not available on Spotify or Apple, in fact I’d suggest a lot of her stuff isn’t.

So defaulting to the easy option of Spotify top tracks that particular list is over 50% Shelby Lynne. And one from Hayes Carll for good measure.

Oh well…

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.