The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Down to Believing – Allison Moorer

After the beating my last pick took the obvious thing to do is play it safe but screw it, we’re off to Nashville folks! (albeit via New York)

In deciding which country orientated artist to pick, I narrowed it down from a shortlist of six artists to one of two Alisons. Should I go for Alison Krauss, gilded bluegrass royalty, someone who has more Grammys than everyone other than Qunicy Jones and Beyonce? Or should I go for more of a scrapper from Mobile, Alabama , who at fourteen years old heard the sound of her abusive father shooting her mother and then turning the gun on himself. Who was then (partly) raised by her Seventeen year-old sister, who was also in attendance at the murder-suicide, after which the pair of them both managed to carve out major music careers for themselves. As this is country it feels like the appropriate thing to do is go with her…Allison Moorer (the spelling of her name might indicate her folks were City fans, the timing works!)

Lots of country music is drenched in faux melodrama but Moorer’s life doesn’t need any additional confections. Moorer and her sister (Shelby Lynne) have used their music to both explore their lives and to propel them forward from the darkest of times.

I’m actually offering up an album which I personally don’t think is Moorer’s best, not because it has special meaning to me but because, for reasons I don’t understand, her (IMO) best album is only available to stream on Tidal. So, if you are able to listen to her second album ‘The Hardest Part’, I would commend it to you, the subject matter is darker and the guitars crunch and howl a little bit more than on this nominated album. I also considered her last album ‘Blood’ which is a kind of musical memoir to accompany the book she wrote of the same name that explored and analysed her upbringing and the death of her parents. But to get the most out that album it helps to read the accompanying book and I didn’t think it was on to try and converge the album listening and booking reading threads!

Nonetheless the album I’ve picked is viewed by many fans as the equal of either of these. Moorer writes thematically and from experience. In the case of “Down To Believing” this is a break-up album, but not any old break up. This album is a by-product of the breakdown of her marriage to the brilliant but arguably wayward Steve Earle, which also coincided with their son being diagnosed with a complex form of autism.

Earle’s fantastically caustic analysis was that “she traded me in for a younger, skinnier, less talented singer-songwriter”. Moorer is more guarded and hasn’t got into a public slanging match but this album and the fact that Earle has got through more than a few spouses over the years suggests there might be two sides to the story!

It starts with three songs focused on the unravelling of things. These feature the guitar of the producer Kenny Greenberg, a man who is well known for adding a little bit of a rock vibe to albums for a who’s who of Nashville stars. It then moves to the slower and downbeat title track as the stark reality of the choice before them kicks in. Apparently, their relationship was pretty intense, Earle has intimated that he thought he had found the real love of his life, but there is a sense from both of them that is alluded to in this song that the intensity wasn’t sustainable. The angrier and rockier “Tear Me Apart” then seals the deal in terms of the end of the relationship.

The next track, If I Were Stronger, exemplifies one of the reasons I really like Moorer, this is pretty much a cookie cutter country ballad with a very simple lyric, so its component parts are pretty unpromising. However, Moorer delivers it completely authentically and by this I don’t mean she sells it - I mean she sings it as her truth. Consequently, I think anyone who has experienced leaving a dysfunctional relationship to save their sanity can relate to the regret and guilt because though it might be simple it’s real. I think it’s one of several places where her unvarnished honesty of delivery either elevates or single handedly carries proceedings.

The second half of the album focuses on moving on and related themes. “Wish I” is not a particularly auspicious start to the second part though it has some nice slick guitar work in the last minute and a half. “Blood” is written for her sister Lynne and again is pretty simple and is undoubtedly sentimental but tied into their backdrop and their shared experience there is no doubting it’s sincerity and it’s sentimental in the best sense of the word.

“Mama Let The Wolf In” – a song about parental guilt at not being able to fix things (in Moorer’s case her sons autism) is a more bluesy number and contains an example of Rob’s theory that limiting the profanity makes it more effective when it does actually occur.

The next couple of tracks tone things down a bit with “I’m Doing Fine” more languidly suggesting moving on (or not), it’s also an example of something else I like about Moorer, which is that there is often an undertone of blue-eyed soul in her delivery which I think means she can pull off the unusual trick of being sincere and slick at the same time. “Back of My Mind” is fairly standard pop fare.

The penultimate track is a cover of one of CCR’s best songs. It’s a lovely but pretty faithful reproduction which initially made me think, why bother? But I think it’s simply that it fits with both the style of the album and its narrative arc too.

The album finishes on a seemingly downbeat note with “Gonna Get It Wrong” the melody is slower and calmer than what has proceeded but, despite the title, the lyric is a tentatively hopeful one based on self-acceptance and keeping going in the face of your frailties and imperfections. It’s a survivor’s mantra that could, in the wrong hands, sound utterly hokey, as could many of the other songs; but coming from Moorer it sounds real enough to me.

I am hoping Rob calls me out for hypocrisy with this pick because there’s several things about the production on this album that I have ranted about on other picks. All I can say is guilty as charged and it’s a measure of how much I like Moorer and Greenberg that I choose to be selectively deaf to these things :-)

I know this isn’t going to be everyone’s cup of tea, but the safer option can wait for another day. Normally for Country / Americana I like something either a bit more rootsy or a bit more ‘sophisticated’ (whatever the hell that means) but I have been a sucker for Moorer’s combination of plaintive but defiant delivery for most of her career. This pick has about a fifth of the ‘cleverness’ and innovation of my original pick for this round, but what its unpretentious story telling does have in spades is authenticity and integrity, things I really appreciate in any form of music. Sometimes I fancy myself as a bit of a clever dick with music but other times not so much. This is not music for clever dicks, it’s balm for wounded and weary souls and if that makes me a rootin’ tootin’ sentimentalist then so be it!
Terrific. Delighted to have found a fellow Allison Moorer enthusiast. Some great tracks on Down to Believing, although my go-to's are her first two albums, Alabama Song and The Hardest Part. Can't believe the former of those two is 25 years old. Saw her live a few years ago at Cadogan Hall in Chelsea, when she toured with her sister, showcasing the stuff on 'Not Dark Yet' (a treat, cos you rarely see either of them this side of the pond), and then followed her throughout lockdown when she used to bang out revamped gospel songs on an acoustic every Sunday.
Kenny Greenberg's a top guitarist as well as producer......

For some reason I have never heard any of her stuff before so I was really looking forward to this listen as it should be up my street.
Good start musically with like it used to be,thunderstorm/hurricane, I lost my crystal ball and down to believing
Then a few tracks that I found quite boring until the track blood which I enjoyed the most.An decent version of have you ever seen the rain and that was it.
Found her voice nothing special,as somebody pointed out earlier I would have preferred an Lucinda Williams type gravel voice on vocals.
Still I will give her other stuff a listen as there is good song writing and musically good tracks from this album to investigate further.
Might even get a very good playlist from her other albums.
6/10.

I was interested to know what you made of her given you snaffled one of, if not the best, female americana albums as one of your nominations. I'm pretty sure you will get a decent playlist out of her back catalogue.

I do disagree on the voice though. I love Lucinda Williams voice, it's like she spent her entire adult life, and possibly some of her childhood, in a smoke filled bar. Moorer's voice is very different and though less immediate than Williams's as a story teller I still think she's a fantastic singer. Maybe watch a bit of her performing live solo to get a rounder sense of her voice.

Terrific. Delighted to have found a fellow Allison Moorer enthusiast. Some great tracks on Down to Believing, although my go-to's are her first two albums, Alabama Song and The Hardest Part. Can't believe the former of those two is 25 years old. Saw her live a few years ago at Cadogan Hall in Chelsea, when she toured with her sister, showcasing the stuff on 'Not Dark Yet' (a treat, cos you rarely see either of them this side of the pond), and then followed her throughout lockdown when she used to bang out revamped gospel songs on an acoustic every Sunday.
Kenny Greenberg's a top guitarist as well as producer......

Good stuff. Yes, when @mancity111 mentioned her 26 year career I winced a bit at where the time has gone. I first saw her when she was touring the Hardest Part and I was lucky enough to see her perform No Next Time with Lonesome Bob (I say that but I'm not 100%sure, he was never actually introduced but he looked like him and he certainly sounded like him). She's really good live but has spent a decent chunk of her working life as a support act for less talented blokes (i'm excluding Earle from that). Given her son's challenges I suspect there's little to no chance of her touring here again anytime soon which is understandable but a shame. Kenny Greenberg I like a lot, he reminds me of some kind of Nashville version of Stanley Tucci. His Rig Rundown video on YT is really fun if you are into that kind of stuff.

Are you going to give it a score out of ten, to help repel the heathens who are going to rock up in a while with their scores? :-)

I wish I knew where the line was between Americana (cool) and Country (not cool). I'm sure that a fair bit of music I've "discovered" over the last few years has fitted into the former category and when not listening to this week's pick I've been listening to the last two albums by Waxahatchee which are defintately one or the other, or both.

Of course I jest, I'm old enough now to know what I like and to say it without fear of embarrassment. Heck I bet there is even the odd Ed Sheeran song I might like if I didn't know it was him. Possibly.

I've mentioned before, probably ad nauseum, how my son is a country music fan, inexplicable I know but maybe it's partly for that reason I've softened in my views of a genre I'd previously dismissed out of hand.

To this album then. I'm far from being an expert in these matters but although it borders on generic at times (or what I think might be generic- the erm Nashville Sound that y'all keep going on about) I do think there are points of difference enough. The first track is a case in point, a lively opener...

I'll have to concur with the majority view on Thunderstorm/ Hurricane, ear catching from the first time I heard it and far and away the best track on the album. I'll also agree with @RobMCFC in bemoaning it's brevity...

Nothing else on the album matches it but there are good moments, notably Blood.

Mama Let the Wolf In I just didn't like at all. Heartfelt it is for sure but not for me. Have You Ever Seen the Rain? (it's always raining in Macclesfield currently, as I'm sure for those of us this side of the pond it is where you are) is a good enough but probably pointless and superfluous cover.

Overall it's not converted me. I have listened to some more of her stuff over the weekend but more out of curiosity than excitement of discovering a new artist.

For scoring this sits like a seesaw, or something around the six mark and I was thinking of either marking it down one because it's not all as good as Thunderstorm/ Hurricane or marking it up one because it has Thunderstorm/ Hurricane on it. Or marking it down again because it's too short...

I've been stuck in a run of sixes recently I think and the criteria for them is something that is OK but doesn't grab me. I think this is marginally better than that although unless I can be pointed in the direction of a few more gems of hers like Thunderstorm she'll soon be a memory. I don't do half points, so let's round it up to 7

I wish I knew where the line was between Americana (cool) and Country (not cool). I'm sure that a fair bit of music I've "discovered" over the last few years has fitted into the former category and when not listening to this week's pick I've been listening to the last two albums by Waxahatchee which are defintately one or the other, or both.
I've been listening to the new Waxahatchee album, and it is very good. I also enjoyed the previous album. I can see why you like this because I'd say it's pitched 40% indie / 60% Americana.

As for the old Americana vs Country debate, my take on it is that Americana is a broader field that takes in American folk, alt-country, blues, bluegrass and country itself. It would definitely include Waxahatchee, bands like Wilco and Son Volt and artists like Steve Earle and Lucinda Williams.

I think that this Allison Moorer album is very good, and I enjoyed it a lot, which is why I gave it an 8. But it is a little smooth for me in parts which is where I don't enjoy it as much as I would a Steve Earle album.

Somebody should nominate a Steve Earle album on here, and I might get to it one day, but I've got other things lined up that I want to nominate first.

I've been listening to the new Waxahatchee album, and it is very good. I also enjoyed the previous album. I can see why you like this because I'd say it's pitched 40% indie / 60% Americana.

As for the old Americana vs Country debate, my take on it is that Americana is a broader field that takes in American folk, alt-country, blues, bluegrass and country itself. It would definitely include Waxahatchee, bands like Wilco and Son Volt and artists like Steve Earle and Lucinda Williams.

I think that this Allison Moorer album is very good, and I enjoyed it a lot, which is why I gave it an 8. But it is a little smooth for me in parts which is where I don't enjoy it as much as I would a Steve Earle album.

Somebody should nominate a Steve Earle album on here, and I might get to it one day, but I've got other things lined up that I want to nominate first.

I did wonder about Copperhead Road for a nomination but I assumed lots of people would be very familiar and it would be nice to do someone less well known. I also wanted to steer more towards country rather than that broader sense of americana. Copperhead Road probably has the same issue as this album in that lots of people feel the first five tracks are great and then it's a mixed bag whereas I think it's decent pretty much all the way through. Actually thinking about it, the album he did with Shawn Colvin would probably prompt some discussion and get two for the price of one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.