The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Yeah I'm liking this, for whatever reason not a band I gave enough time in the 90s, but would have been up my street then. A bit of a pearl ham hootie blowfish lovechild, of sorts.
I read comparisons to the Canadian version of PJ and then Spotify Radio suggested Hootie (I haven't listened to any of that since hearing in the 90s, so don't even go there), so you are spot on. I'm halfway through and I hear the PJ comparison. (I prefer Darius solo over Hootie too).

I've got Silversun Pickups live tonight, so whatever I listen to beforehand will have a good finale.

He sounds so much like the singer from Live imo.
I'm not hearing that as much. I'm listening to "Greasy Jungle" and Gord's voice sounds rawer than Ed Kowalczyk's. I think Ed's range is greater, imo.

The band musically to me is closer to PJ than Live too. Not a bad thing, as musically, I'm liking this. The starting of "Yawning Or Snarling" sounds just like a quiet PJ build-up song.

I'm not yet hearing comparisons to Gord's voice, but I do think the vocals are distinctive for this band.

See they are doing a past albums tour. They are playing through all of blackened sky in one sitting in glasgow, tickets were impossible to get, even with the band pre-sale. Was well up for that gig.
Maybe they are The Tragically Hip of the UK/Scotland as I asked about yesterday?

I've not heard or gotten into them, but after reading a bit, I suppose I should be as another Canadian band I love was mentioned as an influence. ;-)

Google is all over this too in reinforcement:

Are Biffy Clyro big in America?
Biffy Clyro are climbing into the U.S. scene, but they rarely get the same merits as their European audiences give them.Jan 9, 2023

8 Rock + Metal Bands That Are HUGE in Europe but Not America - Loudwire

Hmm...

Maybe they are The Tragically Hip of the UK/Scotland as I asked about yesterday?

I've not heard or gotten into them, but after reading a bit, I suppose I should be as another Canadian band I love was mentioned as an influence. ;-)

Google is all over this too in reinforcement:

Are Biffy Clyro big in America?
Biffy Clyro are climbing into the U.S. scene, but they rarely get the same merits as their European audiences give them.Jan 9, 2023

8 Rock + Metal Bands That Are HUGE in Europe but Not America - Loudwire

Hmm...

You noted liking one or two of their songs in the playlist threads, so I just assumed you liked them or knew them. They are huge here, probably the UK generally, yet they are not particularly conventional mainstream, on the radio etc.

They have a few very good albums, and a fair few albums with some good songs on them. Only Revolutions is the biggest (springboard to their heights) success, Blackened Sky is the (old school) fans favourite. Puzzle was reviewed here so if you are still doing your revisiting of missed on albums, probably as good a place to start as any.

What is the Canadian band you mention woth crossover/influence?

You noted liking one or two of their songs in the playlist threads, so I just assumed you liked them or knew them. They are huge here, probably the UK generally, yet they are not particularly conventional mainstream, on the radio etc.
Good point, I plan to circle back and that proper listen should be done. Understood on the non-mainstream too.
They have a few very good albums, and a fair few albums with some good songs on them. Only Revolutions is the biggest (springboard to their heights) success, Blackened Sky is the (old school) fans favourite. Puzzle was reviewed here so if you are still doing your revisiting of missed on albums, probably as good a place to start as any.
Good info, thanks!
What is the Canadian band you mention woth crossover/influence?
The band that prompted the "‘Mon the Biff!!!" comment. ;-)

The R words around here are more toxic than the F words in general usage, it would appear.

Good point, I plan to circle back and that proper listen should be done. Understood on the non-mainstream too.

Good info, thanks!

The band that prompted the "‘Mon the Biff!!!" comment. ;-)

The R words around here are more toxic than the F words in general usage, it would appear.

Haha which one of the Rs?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.