The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Well, firstly was the disappointment that the guy jumping around on the piano/keyboards when I saw them live (probably 2010)....left years before this album!!
I am going to listen to the early albums, as I thought I would give them a go after that live performance, and reading that they were (hopefully) a bit rockier back then, gives me hope!
The main two members of the band (Andy and Rob) have been there since the beginning. Both play guitars, so the rockier components are still there.
This album though, for me, is as dull as dishwater/Coldplay...delete as appropriate.
The Moth....I like.
The Gold, The grocery, The wolf......threaten to be likeable, I want to shout 'go on son' when they threaten to explode, but they quickly sink back down like an unset blancmange!
I don't think they know where they're going, but they're going anyways...

Lead, SD or The Silence are songs Coldplay never had any inkling of on their best of days.
Gwyneth knows that too.

They were all that they were and all they could be.

I'm not sure how long ago I downloaded this whole album but it's fair to say that up to now it hasn't caught my imagination in the same way that the two tracks that brought me here in there first place did, those being the Silence and I Know How to Speak, not on the album.

I can't remember how I came to those two tracks either but the likelihood is that they were "suggested" to me by YouTube while passing time doing night shifts as a nurse in a care home. Those nights imbued in me a feeling of comfortable melancholy, the combination of the ungodly hour, the sense of being at the dog end of a nursing career that had been spent at the sharp end and having under my care residents seeing out their final days in various stages of, well you know...

So those two tracks got heavy play along with a select few from others as sometimes I like to settle into a mood rather than fight against it. The rest of the album I listened to a few times but was left underwhelmed.

It often happens though with albums that are now favourites that what sounds uninspiring initially can sound very different when revisited some time later. And that is certainly the case with this. I mentioned in the initial comments when this album was introduced that the Silence and I Know How to Speak both edged towards overwrought territory. There is though subtlety on this album too in the shape of the Maze and the Alien/ Sunshine which act as a nice counterpoint.

The album opens strongly with the Maze right through to the Sunshine. Hopefully I'm not missing any ironic intent with the lyrics of the Gold but as an ode to a relationship that has run its course without sentimentality it's great. And I do think I prefer the original to Phoebe Bridgers version.

I wouldn't say the album sags but it doesn't quite maintain the standard on what would be the second side of a vinyl album (presumably). It's good enough though with the only really low point being The Parts, deliberately low key before the grand ending I expect. It's a great climax but really I Know How to Speak should be tagged on there.

I've explored a little bit of their other stuff through the lazy medium of Spotify top tracks but I don't know if going backwards through their catalogue will offer me much. I've had a few good listens to their most recent though, The Million Masks of God, which with its exploration of themes around death would no doubt see me through a few more night shifts. On that though, a couple of weeks ago I went in for one (I was on the bank so very much employed on a casual basis) with the usual feeling of gloom to be met with new procedures, end of life care and the usual smorgasbord of the issues that usually present themselves with that client group. I knew I couldn't do it anymore and wrote my notice with immediate effect so that I knew that when I left in the morning I wouldn't be back.

@Black&White&BlueMoon Town mentioned the lyrics. This is one of those albums (which I probably will get on vinyl) where I would like to have the lyrics in front of me while listening to it. Snippets though stick in my head and Andy Hull's delivery is generally good. It's fair to say that the themes aren't your run of the mill stuff.

Great pick this week, I'm glad I've been "forced" to give it an extended listen. Makes me wonder what else I've previously downloaded that I need to revisit. Scoring wise the first half had it on course for a 9 or 10, for the slight drop off it's down to an 8.

This album is definitely more of a piece, than a collection of songs. As far as introductions go, the maze nails it. Tells you everything you need to know. The tone, the intent, and the fact you may need to hold your nerve a bit and not rush to a chorus or catchy bit. And there is a lot in the background to focus on. The rest then follows on, with a fairly consistent mood, marginal increases in intensity here and there, but mostly a subdued cold turkey kinda feel. A strong middle with the sunshine wolf and the mistake all following each other nicely. Maybe a bit too heavy on the finish, after a mellow wind-down with the parts, where I would have happily stopped, myself.

I liked their million masks album more, but I enjoyed this, and it is an 8 from me.

This promises so much but then fails to kick on. Impressive starts to a few songs and then when a big fat ooomph is needed...nothing. Flat. And annoying. Because I want to like it. And then there's the voice. It is very annoying in places and sounds 'forced'. I quite like The Maze. But that's about it.

3/10

Im a little surprised by the low scores for Black Mile to the Surface....its defnitely in my top 10 albums of all time, possibly top 5. As was mention a couple of times, it really is one piece of work, and works best listening from start to finish.

We travelled from Belfast to Berlin to see them play on the BMttS tour....very small venue, and i literally stood 6-8 feet away from the singer....was an incredible show....they really pull off the dynamics of the music.

That concert piece on YouTube is really worth a watch, great performance.

If there are any guitar players reading this, check out this video from Michael Palmisano...hes a guitar teacher who does "reaction" videos to songs.....a really good "geeky" review of the performance :-)

Oh, so a 9/10 from me

This record was a lot like those novels I started where I couldn’t get past page 68. I’d get either confused or bored even though I felt like there was something to be gained by pressing on because other people had called it brilliant. So I’d go back to the beginning and start over, determined to concentrate, only to get to page 68 again and be just as befuddled as the time before. After a while, you just have to go with your instinct and conclude that the work of art is boring and confusing to YOU, even if it isn’t to others.

As noted, “The Maze” has haunted me since I heard it originally and I still come back to it. Those harmonies, even if you call them affected, are simply beautiful. But after this, I am struggling. The Radiohead/Wilco “influence”, if it’s there, is marked only by the echoey drone that hangs in the background of many of these songs. Elsewhere, on songs like “The Sunshine” or “The Grocery” I hear mostly Paul Simon. On "The Parts", I hear something else, i.e. a song I'd instantly fast forward over in future.

But like so many records we’ve had on this thread recently, this is a sound not song record, which means you either dig the varietals which are 5 degree turns as the "melodies" shift, or you find this one “song” that’s effectively 49 minutes long and you either like it or not. This makes it hard to pick out tunes. In fact, I thought a lot of this was sound in search of a melody. I can't even claim credit for that line -- my wife said it. We listened to this on an 8-hour drive from San Francisco to Bend, Oregon. She wasn't a fan. Afterwards, she wanted something oppositional, and made me listen to Chappell Roan’s “The Rise And Fall Of A Midwest Princess”, which would instantly earn the lowest score in this thread’s history (even though I really liked it).

Anyhow, I’m wandering. Thematically, as others have mentioned, I can’t follow the story. But that’s not my fault – if you want to draw the listener in, you need to make the narrative obvious from the beginning, and force them to want to hear what happens next, ala “Quadrophenia”, or “The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway” or even, hell, “2112.” I choose these ancient comps deliberately because there’s a reason concept records don’t fly very well anymore in an age of Spotify (and this is why the DBTs “Southern Rock Opera” was such an accomplishment, not to mention they were retelling an old story).

This whining (not whinging – these guys are American) aside, there are bits that stuck out. I did like “The Wolf”. I do love the cover of the record. And I didn’t hate it. There's something here, I think. I just don’t think other than the opener I’d want to hear it again, because I'm not sure the time spent would be worth the payoff. I guess I’ll give it a 5, but that’s including a quite generous extra point for “The Maze.”

Last edited:
This promises so much but then fails to kick on. Impressive starts to a few songs and then when a big fat ooomph is needed...nothing. Flat. And annoying. Because I want to like it. And then there's the voice. It is very annoying in places and sounds 'forced'. I quite like The Maze. But that's about it.

3/10
Despite our disagreements about much, I find it heartening that you had much the same reaction as I did :). I wanted to like it too.

Im a little surprised by the low scores for Black Mile to the Surface....its defnitely in my top 10 albums of all time, possibly top 5. As was mention a couple of times, it really is one piece of work, and works best listening from start to finish.

We travelled from Belfast to Berlin to see them play on the BMttS tour....very small venue, and i literally stood 6-8 feet away from the singer....was an incredible show....they really pull off the dynamics of the music.

That concert piece on YouTube is really worth a watch, great performance.

If there are any guitar players reading this, check out this video from Michael Palmisano...hes a guitar teacher who does "reaction" videos to songs.....a really good "geeky" review of the performance :-)

Oh, so a 9/10 from me

It is not an easily/quickly digestible album. Those types always suffer the 3 listens. I get why, and were it not for my own familiarity with the band, I too might have struggled more with it were it new to me.

But those albums also tend to he the best, you get out what you put in.

It is not an easily/quickly digestible album. Those types always suffer the 3 listens. I get why, and were it not for my own familiarity with the band, I too might have struggled more with it were it new to me.

But those albums also tend to he the best, you get out what you put in.
Sticking with a new record out of loyalty due to previous pleasurable experiences with a band is definitely a thing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.