The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

The Album Review Club

The moment that many have dreamed of.

The current round of albums is due to conclude with a couple of new nominators. The person scheduled for this week’s nomination has asked for another week to put a write-up together. I then put out a call to the last nominator on the list but have so far not received a reply.

This creates a problem because I don’t want to have an end-of-round playlist with just two weeks of the current round to go. Neither do I want to kick off a new round (because I’m not quite ready!)

But then the perfect solution occurred to me. What would be a good way to make a great thread even better? Here are some relevant comments from a few of the music threads:-

“I'm sorry if I inadvertently helped derail the thread but if it does get nominated by someone I look forward to discussing it.”threespires

"Man, if this thread has a "norm" I'm not sure what it is! And that's what makes it great. And if you choose to select the hands-down most overrated record ever made, that would be fine :)." – FogBlueInSanFran

“I cannot think of another group that I have liked and then went downhill so fast.”bennyboy

“It’s all subjective anyway but the ultimate arbiter will be the Bluemoon vote.” – journolud

"Radiohead for me as a young teen was just a great rock/indie band that stood outside the mix of Britpop" – BlueHammer85

Middle-aged gentlemen and slightly older gentlemen, without further ado, I give you:-

OK Computer by Radiohead.

Editor’s Note

Please note that this is a bonus selection, and not my selection. I look forward to listening and reviewing because I’ve never heard it.

In some ways, this subverts the normal process: we take it in turns to put forward a record that means a lot to us, we bare our souls and try to explain how our lives are intertwined with the songs, and we wait for our fellow forumites to agree with us or point out how we have been wrong all these years.

However, Radiohead, and OK Computer in particular, have come up so often in the various discussions that it somehow feels wrong not to listen to this album as a collective. A little sluggishness on the part of some new nominators, plus some intense discussion ahead of the eagerly awaited return of the Bluemoon Cup, have conspired to produce a glorious window of opportunity.

I was too good an opportunity to turn down, like a beautifully arcing Kevin De Bruyne pass that lands invitingly at the feet of a certain goal-hungry Viking.

OK Computer may have regularly featured in the Champions League places of many a post-year-2000 poll, but how will it fare in the harsh crucible of the Album Review Club league table? As @journolud says, “It’s all subjective anyway but the ultimate arbiter will be the Bluemoon vote.”

So, I look forward to applying a bit of science and cool, calm perspective to prove or disprove @FogBlueInSanFran ’s assertion that this is the most overrated album ever made.

I trust that everybody will take their duty seriously and play nice. Having said that, let battle commence.
0/10.

Just kidding.

1/10.

Ok. No, really. I'll listen (again, for the umpteenth time).

It just had to be!

1715782265077.png

To be honest I've been close to nominating this one for a long time and it was due up my end within the next 3 selections.

The Bends and OK Computer are superb albums - I do agree with Fog that there is a bit too much hype with Radiohead and for some reason the Music critics get carried away with placing this Album as the greatest ever etc- After Kid A i never really bothered much with them anymore -also i've seen them live twice and found them pretty average.

Then it WON'T get lost in the Radiohead frenzy.
Haha, very good. I just put a like on that but felt that your comment deserved more.

I've only ever heard Pablo Honey (not a great experience) and one or two songs from The Bends, so I promise to listen to this behemoth of modern music with open ears.

It just had to be!

View attachment 118981

To be honest I've been close to nominating this one for a long time and it was due up my end within the next 3 selections.
Same here, and if you're going to go, go BIG or go home!

Rob took the biggest bite of the apple for some of us considering (I had to theme Manchester first), so I guess it's now on. Rob taking one for the team - just to enjoy the show? ;-)

Oh, and just so Foggy isn't confused, despite the quality here, this isn't a Greatest Hits, so you don't have to deduct for that.

Not that you won't find other reasons! ;-)

The Bends and OK Computer are superb albums - I do agree with Fog that there is a bit too much hype with Radiohead and for some reason the Music critics get carried away with placing this Album as the greatest ever etc- After Kid A i never really bothered much with them anymore
I can see how Kid A put you off of them and BimboBob doesn't have any selections after this if that's where you left off. There's better ones after that, but I can see how you and others didn't follow up after Kid A.
-also i've seen them live twice and found them pretty average.
Have not seen them live, and one of my regrets. I wonder if it is the stage presence or how it sounds live? I've seen shows of them live and they were great on Austin City Limits (ACL), but not sure. I loved The Cars back in the day, but wow were they not a band that put on an enjoyable live show to be kind.

Haha, very good. I just put a like on that but felt that your comment deserved more.

I've only ever heard Pablo Honey (not a great experience) and one or two songs from The Bends, so I promise to listen to this behemoth of modern music with open ears.
This album sounds very little like Pablo Honey, IMO.

But as a betting man, I've got a score in mind for you already given similar artists, genres, and comments above, but we shall see.

It's like I now get to experience a New Years Holiday this week after Christmas last week with Manchester Orchestra! ;-)

The other big question I have is how much will this selection attract non-regular comments/ratings (positive or negative) to weigh in? I'm a bit intrigued on that too.

This album sounds very little like Pablo Honey, IMO.

But as a betting man, I've got a score in mind for you already given similar artists, genres, and comments above, but we shall see.

It's like I now get to experience a New Years Holiday this week after Christmas last week with Manchester Orchestra! ;-)

The other big question I have is how much will this selection attract non-regular comments/ratings (positive or negative) to weigh in? I'm a bit intrigued on that too.

Anyone that scored Manchester Orchestra low will be scoring this one lower i predict.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.