The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Very bubblegum-ish.
Last song Closer, is decent.
Her voice is not unpleasant but on its own with little real instrumental backing in the production it was wearing a little thin by the end.

Not bad all the same. I’d say I won’t struggle to get three listens in this week.

Enjoy the bum invasion!

Keep fighting mate, from personal experience you will get big up and down days, but hang in there, it does get better!

PM me if you need anything, if I can help I will.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I've done OK mentally so far, but now it's time for the serious stuff. I'm thinking that the treatment won't be so bad, given that it's over a short 5-week window, but I guess it's how I'll feel after that that will be key.

Thought I would spread some good news about our favourite beat group. From the BBC:

William Shakespeare's Hamlet is to be combined with Radiohead's album Hail to the Thief for an unusual new stage show.
Hamlet Hail to the Thief was the brainchild of theatre director Christine Jones, who came up with the idea after noticing the play and album shared similar themes of moral corruption, decay, and dysfunctional government.
The show will receive its world premiere in Manchester in April before transferring to Stratford-Upon-Avon in June.
Radiohead's Thom Yorke, who is re-working the 2003 album for the show, described the project as an "interesting and intimidating challenge".

mmmmmm....
Can't wait.

Lover Electric!

I’ve listened on a loop today.
It’s a strange one for me to analyse.
It’s perfectly decent background music. You can have it on in any company. I find myself only really drawn to one song however. Closer, which is the closer. The last one.
When you get to this one however you feel, ah, she’s hitting her stride at last. And then it’s over.

I think collectively where this album falls down, is that the music or instruments don’t sufficiently support the vocals. They don’t generally add enough interest although there are minor exceptions or slight variations.
Is it Over? and Closer seem to break out of the norm.
There’s nothing wrong with the girls voice but the whole album just seems to follow the same electronic drum pattern and dah dah dah dah bass line that becomes, well, slightly boring.

I won’t have a problem putting this on in the background this week but I can’t see it becoming a favourite even for the missus.

I won’t score it until the end of the week. We’ll see how it’s charms lasts or wanes.

Not loving this I'm afraid. Also contrary to what others are saying I think Closer is the worse track on the album. The opening piano riff is horrible. I need to listen to a couple more of their albums to see how I feel about them

Not loving this I'm afraid. Also contrary to what others are saying I think Closer is the worse track on the album. The opening piano riff is horrible. I need to listen to a couple more of their albums to see how I feel about them
I was going to do the same but thought, do I really want to listen to another of their albums straight after that?
Nah!
Have Lloyd Cole, Rattlesnakes, on now.
Much more interesting.

I think collectively where this album falls down, is that the music or instruments don’t sufficiently support the vocals. They don’t generally add enough interest although there are minor exceptions or slight variations.
That's how I feel about it. Perfectly fine to listen to but not an album you'd rave about or yearn to go back to.
It has a very run-of-the-mill quality to it.

Still, if @southamptonblue heard this at the same show as OMD, I can fully appreciate him being excited by them because OMD would have put me to sleep.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.