The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Thought I would spread some good news about our favourite beat group. From the BBC:

William Shakespeare's Hamlet is to be combined with Radiohead's album Hail to the Thief for an unusual new stage show.
Hamlet Hail to the Thief was the brainchild of theatre director Christine Jones, who came up with the idea after noticing the play and album shared similar themes of moral corruption, decay, and dysfunctional government.
The show will receive its world premiere in Manchester in April before transferring to Stratford-Upon-Avon in June.
Radiohead's Thom Yorke, who is re-working the 2003 album for the show, described the project as an "interesting and intimidating challenge".

mmmmmm....
Can't wait.

I love Hamlet, once had a short conversation with Robert Lindsay about the slightly mad version he did in the round at the Royal Exchange many many years ago. One of a number I've seen over the years.

I quite like an interesting adaptation or interpretation but I'm struggling to see what Thomy and his mates are going to do to enhance it but maybe this will be the moment when I see the light in relation to RH?

One listen into this week's pick and unclear whether it'll either grow on me or just peter out. At the moment I just have a feeling this has been done better elsewhere but I can't quite put my finger on who I'm thinking of.

I'm in the Closer isn't all that camp, to properly nail that kind of ballad you either need to have a sound/delivery sufficiently distinctive that it alone sustains interest in the song despite the mono pacing or alternatively get the nature of the crescendo just right, and this does neither.

Certainly not bad just remain to be convinced it's good.

I love Hamlet, once had a short conversation with Robert Lindsay about the slightly mad version he did in the round at the Royal Exchange many many years ago. One of a number I've seen over the years.

I quite like an interesting adaptation or interpretation but I'm struggling to see what Thomy and his mates are going to do to enhance it but maybe this will be the moment when I see the light in relation to RH?

One listen into this week's pick and unclear whether it'll either grow on me or just peter out. At the moment I just have a feeling this has been done better elsewhere but I can't quite put my finger on who I'm thinking of.

I'm in the Closer isn't all that camp, to properly nail that kind of ballad you either need to have a sound/delivery sufficiently distinctive that it alone sustains interest in the song despite the mono pacing or alternatively get the nature of the crescendo just right, and this does neither.

Regarding ‘Closer’, for me it was more, ah this is slightly different, she’s starting to get there. Oh that’s it? It over, just when it was getting started.

That kind of thing.

Thought I would spread some good news about our favourite beat group. From the BBC:

William Shakespeare's Hamlet is to be combined with Radiohead's album Hail to the Thief for an unusual new stage show.
Hamlet Hail to the Thief was the brainchild of theatre director Christine Jones, who came up with the idea after noticing the play and album shared similar themes of moral corruption, decay, and dysfunctional government.
The show will receive its world premiere in Manchester in April before transferring to Stratford-Upon-Avon in June.
Radiohead's Thom Yorke, who is re-working the 2003 album for the show, described the project as an "interesting and intimidating challenge".

mmmmmm....
Can't wait.
Can't be any worse than a musical version of an old science fiction story...

An OK first listen of this week's pick while driving. Lots of the songs start off unpromisingly and then quietly surpsie me. Feels kind of lightweight though so not sure it will be a stayer.

Not loving this I'm afraid. Also contrary to what others are saying I think Closer is the worse track on the album. The opening piano riff is horrible. I need to listen to a couple more of their albums to see how I feel about them

But it makes for a great punchline though.

As does the song It's Ok. Which is... Ok.

Why thank you.

This is quite up my street. I love me a bit of ruffled feathers pop with a quirky chick singing to some solid background bass. Could have been a good addition to the Duos theme playlist.

So far I'm feeling more that there is a greatest hits band here than an album as a whole, but it is pleasant and fun enough in equal measure.

Slight issue, been listening to the new Honeyglaze album this week, and the two have started blending into one.

Can't be any worse than a musical version of an old science fiction story...

Given the level of love expressed for musicals on here recently I'm thinking of nominating one next time round. The two I've got in mind are

Silence! The Musical
(Hannibal Lecter with jazz hands)

or

Dolls of Albion: a Steampunk Opera
(What happens if you transfer/reanimate the souls of your dead loved ones into mechanical dolls:answer nothing good)

Very happy to take input on which one I go with, but either way pretty sure I'll be getting Skinner off the bottom.

I was walking down the road and who should wander by than Robert Lindsay and his good pal Dame Judy Dench. We had a good chat and I gave them some pointers for the next time they attempt Lear.
As I said to Johnny Guilgud afterwards
That was nice......
:-)

You old name dropper you.

Given the level of love expressed for musicals on here recently I'm thinking of nominating one next time round. The two I've got in mind are

Silence! The Musical

or

(What happens if you transfer/reanimate the souls of your dead loved ones into mechanical dolls:answer nothing good)

Very happy to take input on which one I go with, but either way pretty sure I'll be getting Skinner off the bottom.
I'm already writing the review of Carousel.

A genius work from front to back. Memorable for its most famous tune YNWA. Sung by Gordon Macrae (I think).
My personal favourite is 'June is bustin out all over' Ooo err.

More later.

Silence! The Musical

or

Been listening to AGDCFF in the off time between albums this week. Quite liked it to be honest. The day in a life documentary style would make a great musical :)

I thought I was going to take bottom last week. I have another album in my back pocket that might get that honour once I've worked through some stuff I like better -

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.