The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

The previous album that this is most similar to is the Fantastic Negrito record; I enjoyed that more...
My thoughts exactly.
And whilst listening I did keep on thinking about that bastard Prince (bastard in the sense he was so talented). The fact that he influenced so many and was so diverse that so many automatically get linked or "sounds like". The fact that Prince could be so diverse and that GCJ is also making an effort on this is a good thing and shows his abilities. That said I was a little big disappointed by the lyrical content the more listens I have give n it.
Certainly made me think about my next pick where I have decided to forego Da Lench Mob for a an alternate lyrical genius (IMO)
When somebody comes up with a song title such as “Funk Witch U”, I’m tempted to respond with “Wot you talkin’ ‘bout, Willis?”
I was actually a little disappointed with that myself. Thinking that such a title wasnt quite right for this album , less Arnold, more Bootsy Collins,,,but then he does have Clinton on it and the song itself does I think save the title from being too cringey...but then as a 50 something white guy its not my usual type of language.

"Maktub" was a great start with a nice guitar with a nice change into "Dont Start" before an almost Musie(ish) grandiose start to "This Is Who We Are". I think "Alone Together" with its trumpet is perhaps my fave off this which is a suprise seeing as its not my usual fare , not being guitar driven.

Finishing with "Triumph" I think would have been better as I wasnt sold on "Habits"...but very enjoyable few listens. A lot more than background music that few of the recent selections have felt like to me. Certainly up there with Fantastic Negrito and so I shall copy @RobMCFC and go for a 6.5 from the Derry jury

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly.
And whilst listening I did keep on thinking about that bastard Prince (bastard in the sense he was so talented). The fact that he influenced so many and was so diverse that so many automatically get linked or "sounds like". The fact that Prince could be so diverse and that GCJ is also making an effort on this is a good thing and shows his abilities. That said I was a little big disappointed by the lyrical content the more listens I have give n it.
Certainly made me think about my next pick where I have decided to forego Da Lench Mob for a an alternate lyrical genius (IMO)

I was actually a little disappointed with that myself. Thinking that such a title wasnt quite right for this album , less Arnold, more Bootsy Collins,,,but then he does have Clinton on it and the song itself does I think save the title from being too cringey...but then as a 50 something white guy its not my usual type of language.

"Maktub" was a great start with a nice guitar with a nice change into "Dont Start" before an almost Musie(ish) grandiose start to "This Is Who We Are". I think "Alone Together" with its trumpet is perhaps my fave off this which is a suprise seeing as its not my usual fare , not being guitar driven.

Finishing with "Triumph" I think would have been better as I wasnt sold on "Habits"...but very enjoyable few listens. A lot more than background music that few of the recent selections have felt like to me. Certainly up therewith Fnatastic Negrito and so I shall copy @RobMCFC and go for a from the Derry jury
You've missed the actual score out there - unless you meant to say, like me, 6.5 ?

JPEG RAW

Excellent choice BWBMT, really enjoyed this one, I like the variety of styles that kept my initial interest .
I can tell if I’m going to like an album quite quickly if there’s a couple of immediate stand out tracksand this has a couple of bangers in the last two tracks, but in fairness I enjoyed all the songs after continued listening.
I already liked GCjr voice and guitar playing so that helped, I didn’t pay that much attention to the lyrics as others have as it’s the type of album where I just listened and enjoyed the music, even if some of the lyrics sounded cliche’d.

I must try and catch the ACL set as the link didn’t work ,as I’m a fan of The Black Pumas too.

8.5/10

How do you feel about "What About The Children?"
There’s something very suspicious about it.
Bloody auto correct. I meant Very Superstitious.

Has an old Stevie vibe to it, but I think you’re reading too much into the lyrics.

I really don’t think you take literally’ to make a dollar’, as meaning just one dollar.
I mean there has to be a minimum wage in America too, surely.

I found my foot tapping to a lot of these songs. I actually agree with Coats and Rob to a large degree.
I just liked listening from the start. Liked the vibe and don’t have anything too analytical to say about it. Like Coats I nearly feel the less said the better. I’m enjoying this week’ pick more than recent ones.

Rob mentioned ‘dense’ production. I think that’s the word he used and I didn’t know what he meant but on a second listen I got it totally.
I love the vibe and feel but quite honestly can’t really pick out the particular lyrics or most of the vocals in general. Same for a lot of the instrumentation although I still know I like the overall feel.

The main difference between myself and yourself seems to be, you have dissected this album forensically and almost reluctantly admitted it’s worth a 7.
Whereas I have so far let it wash over me and have no problem awarding the same score.

7 from me.

This is possibly the weirdest thing I have ever listened to.....but not in a particularly bad way, I just can't seem to decipher what's going on, even after 5/6 listens!
I much prefer the music to the vocals, and maybe if the sort of rapping, and Dire Straits type of talking vocals, were ditched, and he actually just sang, I would like it alot more.
On first listen it reminded me of 'Gorillaz' but have no idea why? As it's much 'heavier' than that. So I guess it's OK, I wouldn't buy it or listen out of choice, but wouldn't change the radio station either....probably just think, it's that weird bloke I heard on Bluemoon!
As my scores are always based on 5 for 'bang average' ........this is not quite there, but nearly.....so 4.5 it is.

There’s something very suspicious about it.
Bloody auto correct. I meant Very Superstitious.

Has an old Stevie vibe to it, but I think you’re reading too much into the lyrics.

I really don’t think you take literally’ to make a dollar’, as meaning just one dollar.
I mean there has to be a minimum wage in America too, surely.

I found my foot tapping to a lot of these songs. I actually agree with Coats and Rob to a large degree.
I just liked listening from the start. Liked the vibe and don’t have anything too analytical to say about it. Like Coats I nearly feel the less said the better. I’m enjoying this week’ pick more than recent ones.

Rob mentioned ‘dense’ production. I think that’s the word he used and I didn’t know what he meant but on a second listen I got it totally.
I love the vibe and feel but quite honestly can’t really pick out the particular lyrics or most of the vocals in general. Same for a lot of the instrumentation although I still know I like the overall feel.

The main difference between myself and yourself seems to be, you have dissected this album forensically and almost reluctantly admitted it’s worth a 7.
Whereas I have so far let it wash over me and have no problem awarding the same score.

7 from me.
Yeah ok I confess I don't think the lyric is literally refering to an actual dollar. Apologies to all the dads working hard to provide for their family

I reluctantly awarded a 7 because I wanted to give it more but because I found the lyrics weak and the production a little too dense in moments it was hard to do so. I enjoyed it more than I can score it

Yeah ok I confess I don't think the lyric is literally refering to an actual dollar. Apologies to all the dads working hard to provide for their family

I reluctantly awarded a 7 because I wanted to give it more but because I found the lyrics weak and the production a little too dense in moments it was hard to do so. I enjoyed it more than I can score it
I’m on another listen and am getting a ‘Higher Ground’ vibe from, ‘Maktub’.
I think there may be quite a bit of Stevie influence in here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.