The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Agreed. I'd forgotten about the bonus track as I usually listen to the LP or the downloaded version which I left the bonus track off. No point to it
I don’t object to bonus tracks being included. Often on the original vinyl there wasn’t enough room for the whole project and when CD came along it could accommodate them. They can add to the album.
It was a good way for the band (ahem, record company) to sell basically the same music to us again.

In this case though the one two blues that I felt I should like, but didn’t, was totally out of character with what we just listened to.

I’ve played the album twice already by the way.

I don’t object to bonus tracks being included. Often on the original vinyl there wasn’t enough room for the whole project and when CD came along it could accommodate them. They can add to the album.
It was a good way for the band (ahem, record company) to sell basically the same music to us again.

In this case though the one two blues that I felt I should like, but didn’t, was totally out of character with what we just listened to.

I’ve played the album twice already by the way.
You can get some good bonus tracks, Doll by Doll’s other two albums are a case in point but as often as not it’s alternative versions of songs on the albums, oddities or stuff that wasn’t included initially for a reason.

I've listened 3 times now. Still can't make up my mind...its a pub singer Elvis or a fantastic ironic act.

Going for a 4th in the morning...
That seems over and above for something you seem unlikely to rate highly. Maybe fourth time around you’ll begin to appreciate it…

I really can't make my mind up about this one.

I was slightly surprised this was made in 1979. Maybe it is clearly New Wave but it also sounds quite modern too. I'd not be surprised if it was made this year either. I'm not sure what that says, but it's a compliment either way! I quite liked that the songs were short too. I know that's a bit hypocritical seeing as my choice had 8 minute "songs", but there's something refreshing about songs that "get to the point" and then get back out! :)

I like the overall sound and production on the album, it's a nice laid back feel - late night beer music! I know he's not too popular on here, but parts reminded me of Joe Jackson and something he would do. I really like some of his early albums, they are superb.

It always amazes me that these albums just slip by and fall by the wayside. I've not come across Jackie Leven I don't think, but he can clearly write a decent song and tune.

I like quite a few of the songs - my favourites are Binary Fiction and Highland Rain and Teenage Lightning. The others were ok and I suspect with a few more listens they will grow on me. I've found a few of these albums where I don't necessarily love it on first listen but my all time favourite albums are like that. I've taken a few songs for my playlist but I will return to this album again I think.

It's another album I would never have listened to without these threads, so thanks again for nominating it @journolud !

Overall:
7/10

I really can't make my mind up about this one.

I was slightly surprised this was made in 1979. Maybe it is clearly New Wave but it also sounds quite modern too. I'd not be surprised if it was made this year either. I'm not sure what that says, but it's a compliment either way! I quite liked that the songs were short too. I know that's a bit hypocritical seeing as my choice had 8 minute "songs", but there's something refreshing about songs that "get to the point" and then get back out! :)

I like the overall sound and production on the album, it's a nice laid back feel - late night beer music! I know he's not too popular on here, but parts reminded me of Joe Jackson and something he would do. I really like some of his early albums, they are superb.

It always amazes me that these albums just slip by and fall by the wayside. I've not come across Jackie Leven I don't think, but he can clearly write a decent song and tune.

I like quite a few of the songs - my favourites are Binary Fiction and Highland Rain and Teenage Lightning. The others were ok and I suspect with a few more listens they will grow on me. I've found a few of these albums where I don't necessarily love it on first listen but my all time favourite albums are like that. I've taken a few songs for my playlist but I will return to this album again I think.

It's another album I would never have listened to without these threads, so thanks again for nominating it @journolud !

Overall:
7/10
I can relate to all of the above.
I put it on again today while doing stuff in preparation for Chrimbo..
I find the whole thing a dichotomy.
It’s not punk or new wave or rock for that matter and yet it is or at least fits in to the time when you consider what came after into the 80’s.
I like it and then I don’t. His voice is great and then it grates and I wonder is he intentionally taking the piss and where does this music fit in?
And then when I was getting comparisons with Tony Hadleigh at one stage it suddenly struck me what this reminds me of.
I don’t know anything about this band and what they were like live and whether they are serious or not, but this strikes me as very similar to The Tubes. The Tubes were around poking fun at the music scene since around 1975 and had there own style that really didn’t fit in with overblown rock and didn’t really resonate with punk either although their shows were every bit as subversive.

Thank you @journolud for posting this.
Like I said it’s a dichotomy. It’s not really my thing as a stand alone album and yet the more I play it the more it grows on me.

Play The Tubes 1979 offering, Remote Control and although not as top heavy with guitar, tell me you don’t see similarities. Every song is a mini rock/pop/blues/punk opera with a little West Side Story thrown in for good measure.
Better still put these two albums on a playlist and put them on shuffle and see what you make of it.

This thread is marvellous.

It’s not punk or new wave or rock for that matter and yet it is or at least fits in to the time when you consider what came after into the 80’s.
I like it and then I don’t. His voice is great and then it grates and I wonder is he intentionally taking the piss and where does this music fit in?
And then when I was getting comparisons with Tony Hadleigh at one stage it suddenly struck me what this reminds me of.
I don’t know anything about this band and what they were like live and whether they are serious or not, but this strikes me as very similar to The Tubes. The Tubes were around poking fun at the music scene since around 1975 and had there own style that really didn’t fit in with overblown rock and didn’t really resonate with punk either although their shows were every bit as subversive.

Like I said it’s a dichotomy. It’s not really my thing as a stand alone album and yet the more I play it the more it grows on me.

Play The Tubes 1979 offering, Remote Control and although not as top heavy with guitar, tell me you don’t see similarities. Every song is a mini rock/pop/blues/punk opera with a little West Side Story thrown in for good measure.
Better still put these two albums on a playlist and put them on shuffle and see what you make of it.

Sums it up perfectly for me.Especi

Sums it up perfectly for me.
Especially the voice part.
Another great pick.
7/10.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.