The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

They were a novelty band, sort of. Kind of a glam concept comedy band. But the schtick covered up some really good musicianship and a lot of catchy stuff.
I kind of saw them as taking where Zappa left rock music mid 70’s and running with a pop/rock opera theme onstage.
They were taking the piss.

Last edited:
I kind of saw them as taking where Zappa left rock music mid 80’s and running with a pop/rock opera theme onstage.
They were taking the piss.
They got started in the 70s but absolutely were ripping Zappa and totally taking the piss.

Their first record is #16 in my top 20. In the end they are just so, so San Francisco, which is why I adore them so. Listening to "Haloes" driving over the Golden Gate Bridge as the sun rises is as good as it gets. Invariably a record that whenever I listen to it makes me very, very happy.

They got started in the 70s but absolutely were ripping Zappa and totally taking the piss.

Their first record is #16 in my top 20. In the end they are just so, so San Francisco, which is why I adore them so. Listening to "Haloes" driving over the Golden Gate Bridge as the sun rises is as good as it gets. Invariably a record that whenever I listen to it makes me very, very happy.
I get it.
Hope you enjoy what I’m contemplating offering on the 4th.
I’m conflicted at the moment but it will be very Irish.

I edited my original post. Meant to say 70’s.

I get it.
Hope you enjoy what I’m contemplating offering on the 4th.
I’m conflicted at the moment but it will be very Irish.
I look forward to everything that gets offered here cuz I never know what we're gonna get!

I'm struggling to do Doll By Doll right now cuz I have to dig up each tune individually on YouTube or Spotify -- never the best way to listen to an "album" :(

Last edited:
I was able to listen finally with limited commercial interruptions via Google track listing page link to a kind soul who posted all the songs individually on youtube so I could do the record in order. I'm tired with an early wake up call so I'll do a write-up tomorrow or more likely Friday . . . but for now suffice to say I found this music the most enigmatic we've had yet at the same time the most unaffected too.

Gypsy Blood is an 8 from me. Saw them live at the time. Love all their albums and most of Jackie Leven's (RIP) solo stuff. Amazing voice but some of his vocalisations can grind my gears at times. Can't hear the similarities with the Tubes and I love both bands.

Still got all Doll by Doll on vinyl and the sound is better than the ripped stuff. They could sure play and live they were one of the great undiscovered bands of the era.

Strip Show is my favourite track but I prefer their Remember album which would be a 9 for me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.