The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

I’ve said on here that I got into music relatively late as a 17-year old in the mid-80s. This explains why 1981 means the following for me:

1. City getting to the cup final (I even went to the replay).
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark (or maybe it was 1982 when I finally saw it, such were the weird US v UK cinema release dates).
3. Botham’s Ashes.
if you were born a little earlier some 10 years earlier like me Rob I think your tastes would be a little different but you would still enjoy what you do now.

As I have got older I have found a better appreciation for the simplicity and complexity of some of the music I had little time in fact no time for when I was a teenager which I am most grateful for.

I would for example never listen to Karen Carpenter or Helen Reddy until I was in my 50's and am still catching up on what I missed out on back in the 70's.

I loved psychedelic rock which is why I have so much time for the Steve Miller Band and early Journey as my favourite band from overseas when I first discovered music was from Contra Costa County namely Frumious Bandersnatch a band perhaps on here only Fog might have heard of and listened to Hearts to Cry which is close to favourite song of all time with Fog perhaps without the aid of Wiki knowing the connection between the three bands.

Those were the days when singles ruled the roost only for albums to take over as you got older and could afford them because in the music shops I spent most of time in when not playing sport the owners and their staff didn't allow you to listen to anything else unless you bought something (LOL).

I was brought up on radio and early live production on TV so my real loves and what I will listen to in my twilight years would be different to those brought up on MTV , video and what people use today to play music.

I have listened to a fair swag of Rush especially their early music a lot of it not by choice and while I have little of their catalogue this album I do have but have not played it on my old player for many a year so decided to clean up the record player to see if it was still functioning and it was but I soon realised why I haven't played it for so long now.

As many have said already excellent individual musicians sometimes trying to outdo each other and while I normally can understand why a band gels and is as much loved as this band is they are not for me whether its rock or prog or both or something in between.

6/10.

if you were born a little earlier some 10 years earlier like me Rob I think your tastes would be a little different but you would still enjoy what you do now.

As I have got older I have found a better appreciation for the simplicity and complexity of some of the music I had little time in fact no time for when I was a teenager which I am most grateful for.

I would for example never listen to Karen Carpenter or Helen Reddy until I was in my 50's and am still catching up on what I missed out on back in the 70's.

I loved psychedelic rock which is why I have so much time for the Steve Miller Band and early Journey as my favourite band from overseas when I first discovered music was from Contra Costa County namely Frumious Bandersnatch a band perhaps on here only Fog might have heard of and listened to Hearts to Cry which is close to favourite song of all time with Fog perhaps without the aid of Wiki knowing the connection between the three bands.

Those were the days when singles ruled the roost only for albums to take over as you got older and could afford them because in the music shops I spent most of time in when not playing sport the owners and their staff didn't allow you to listen to anything else unless you bought something (LOL).

I was brought up on radio and early live production on TV so my real loves and what I will listen to in my twilight years would be different to those brought up on MTV , video and what people use today to play music.

I guess we have all had our own musical journeys that have shapred our taste for and appreciation of music. My tastes have certainly softened and broadened as I have got older; as has my ability to indulge in buying albums that I would not have done so back in the day because my cash had to be reserved for my most loved bands etc.

One constant since the mid 70's has been to get as many albums as possible for Christmas. I am not 100% certain why my 1976 Christmas list tasked my late father with, among other things, finding an import copy of Rush's first live album, the double "All the World's a Stage": I'd never heard anything by them although they were gaining popularity amongst my fellow 6th formers. I think a review in Sounds had a lot to do with it. Anyway, ATWAS duly appeared by the hearth on Xmas Morn along with several other long players.

I can only remember what two of the other lp's were. One had definitely been requested in response to a review in Sounds and the other I think was due to seeing a band on the OGWT. Those other two albums were the debut album from Starz and Lynyrd Skynyrd's double live "One From the Road".

I had time to play the three albums back to back through my headphones before Christmas Dinner was served. It was, to this day, the most memorable listening experience of my life. All three bands became and remain firm favourites. I was completely astonished by how good Rush were - a case of love at first listen.

It's crazy now to think that at that time Rush had not had any of their first five albums released in the UK. That situation had not changed nearly six months later when Rush undertook their first UK tour. What started as three dates (London, Birmingham and Manchester) expanded to a sold out seven city tour.

I'm not sure how many people from school went to the Free Trade Hall gig but I know a full size coach went from Macc, mostly filled with guys from Kings, and others, like me, went under their own steam. I can't remember anything quite like it, so I still find it odd when people don't like Rush.

Of course the world changes so events like the foregoing want happen again in a Spotify world.

One constant since the mid 70's has been to get as many albums as possible for Christmas.

I had time to play the three albums back to back through my headphones before Christmas Dinner was served. It was, to this day, the most memorable listening experience of my life.
I used to do the same, and also for my birthday as well. I’ve had some great combinations over the years. In fact the Rush Spirit of Radio / Snakes and Arrows combination was my birthday present 15 years ago yesterday. Also got Clockwork Angels for my birthday in 2012.

Two memorable Christmas combos:

1987 - Scarecrow (Mellencamp) and One Way Home (Hooters)
1994 - August and Everything After (Counting Crows) and Mighty Joe Moon (Grant-Lee Buffalo)

The moment when you first hear something often stays with you.

Must admit I don’t buy many CDs anymore. I work from home and Spotify or my own music on my Phone played through the desktop speakers is 90% of my music listening these days.

I used to do the same, and also for my birthday as well. I’ve had some great combinations over the years. In fact the Rush Spirit of Radio / Snakes and Arrows combination was my birthday present 15 years ago yesterday. Also got Clockwork Angels for my birthday in 2012.

1994 - August and Everything After (Counting Crows) and Mighty Joe Moon (Grant-Lee Buffalo)

Must admit I don’t buy many CDs anymore. I work from home and Spotify or my own music on my Phone played through the desktop speakers is 90% of my music listening these days.
We should run a thread on favourite musical moments which would pick up these important life events.

The first time I heard ‘watcher of the skies’.
The first time I heard ‘close to the edge ‘
The first time I heard ‘wuthering heights ‘

Would be good.

absolutely love moving pictures not a bad song on it
production is sublime
the camera eye is just a majestic masterpiece
yyz, the best instrumental of all time??

this was rush at their absolute peak

Oh yes, it's very often the case at birthdays but not always. I tend to do four days from home and one in the office so most of my listening these days is linked to that. The cd player in my study died so I play stuff off my mac book through a small Bose speaker (I try to load all my cds to my library; still go a fair few to do because I ran out of space and it took me awhile to sort out using an external drive for the overspill). I also try to take a walk most lunchtimes if weather is ok and listen to stuff on my phone - currently working through Rush studio albums post MP).

I only really use Spotify for listening to albums that come up on this thread. My rather excessive pandemic era buying spree has come to an end.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.