The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

We should run a thread on favourite musical moments which would pick up these important life events.

The first time I heard ‘watcher of the skies’.
The first time I heard ‘close to the edge ‘
The first time I heard ‘wuthering heights ‘

Would be good.

A friend's bedroom.
A small gathering of friends on a Satuday evening at my (childhood) home, when a friend of a friend left behind "Yesshows" (and I never saw him again so still have it!).
ToTP.

A friend's bedroom.
A small gathering of friends on a Satuday evening at my (childhood) home, when a friend of a friend left behind "Yesshows" (and I never saw him again so still have it!).
ToTP.
Lounge on my Dads hifi
in a putting kiosk where my girlfriend (now wife) had it on her tape deck
top of the pops with me going wtf.

all seminal musical moments.

Reactions: OB1
I believe @OB1 means La Villa Strangiato from two albums before and if he does, I agree — it’s certainly my favo(u)rite. I believe there was a thread on this and LVS got a number or mentions.
That was not the reason Spock was 'interested'. ;-)

I will however check it out as I liked yyz despite the genesis rip off break about three minutes in (think it was that track - after all there were so many :-)).

Oh yes, it's very often the case at birthdays but not always. I tend to do four days from home and one in the office so most of my listening these days is linked to that. The cd player in my study died so I play stuff off my mac book through a small Bose speaker (I try to load all my cds to my library; still go a fair few to do because I ran out of space and it took me awhile to sort out using an external drive for the overspill). I also try to take a walk most lunchtimes if weather is ok and listen to stuff on my phone - currently working through Rush studio albums post MP).

I only really use Spotify for listening to albums that come up on this thread. My rather excessive pandemic era buying spree has come to an end.
Ive got a small Bose speaker that has served me well for the last 6 years when I was occasionally working from home. Its an incredible sound from such as small device.

To preserve family harmony, I don't play my music in the front room anymore! So I got to thinking that as I was working from home most of the time, there must be something that I could buy that fit on my work desk and gave me the twin-speaker experience. Since Autumn, I've had a pair of Edifier R1280DB Bluetooth speakers, which for less than £130 are the dog's bollocks.I know @Bill Walker has all got a pair of these as well. Here's my home setup.

99E646CE-BC6B-4199-B2A5-502C981A4A04.jpeg

I have loved my years of buying and playing CDs, but I just find that streaming, whether from Spotify or my own library, suits me far better these days.

PS: Enjoying playing my way through Rush's catalogue again, and watching a few docs on YouTube on the back of this nomination. These days I find that I get as much pleasure out of reading about why, where and how albums were recorded and what went into them, and watching the associated docs, as I do from listening to the music itself.

Ive got a small Bose speaker that has served me well for the last 6 years when I was occasionally working from home. Its an incredible sound from such as small device.

To preserve family harmony, I don't play my music in the front room anymore! So I got to thinking that as I was working from home most of the time, there must be something that I could buy that fit on my work desk and gave me the twin-speaker experience. Since Autumn, I've had a pair of Edifier R1280DB Bluetooth speakers, which for less than £130 are the dog's bollocks.I know @Bill Walker has all got a pair of these as well. Here's my home setup.

View attachment 46660

I have loved my years of buying and playing CDs, but I just find that streaming, whether from Spotify or my own library, suits me far better these days.

PS: Enjoying playing my way through Rush's catalogue again, and watching a few docs on YouTube on the back of this nomination. These days I find that I get as much pleasure out of reading about why, where and how albums were recorded and what went into them, and watching the associated docs, as I do from listening to the music itself.
Have you tried one of the Hifi streaming services?
I used Tidal for ears and now on Amazon HD. Both great sound.

Bit late to the party on this one, but agreed MP is a great album. Not as good as Signals, p/g or Power Windows to my ears, but fabulous nonetheless. I could chime in about what makes it so great, but tbf, OB1 and others have done a great job on that already.

The other 3 albums I mentioned every track is top drawer, but I think this one is let down by the ten minutes spent on the track at the start of side 2. Just underwhelming in every respect. It’s the last long form track they ever put out, and seems to have been the death knell for them with that approach. There is a very good and obvious reason why they didn’t play it live for 30 years.

His lyrics on Limelight have also always jarred with me, particularly the line “I can’t pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend”.
Neil, you made a fortune out of your fans, and no one was asking you to go that far, but a reticence to engage with the fans (and to leave it to the other two) - and to basically moan about it publicly - which that track does, doesn’t sit well with me. It’s part of “the deal” I’m afraid, imho.

Have you tried one of the Hifi streaming services?
I used Tidal for ears and now on Amazon HD. Both great sound.
No. I’m not one who believes that hi-if quality is any better than, say, MP3 ripped at 256 Mb/s. The human ear isn’t good enough to detect the difference - certainly not mine!

Maybe I’m wrong, I don’t know. Do you think they are better than Spotify etc?
Bit late to the party on this one, but agreed MP is a great album. Not as good as Signals, p/g or Power Windows to my ears, but fabulous nonetheless. I could chime in about what makes it so great, but tbf, OB1 and others have done a great job on that already.

The other 3 albums I mentioned every track is top drawer, but I think this one is let down by the ten minutes spent on the track at the start of side 2. Just underwhelming in every respect. It’s the last long form track they ever put out, and seems to have been the death knell for them with that approach. There is a very good and obvious reason why they didn’t play it live for 30 years.

His lyrics on Limelight have also always jarred with me, particularly the line “I can’t pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend”.
Neil, you made a fortune out of your fans, and no one was asking you to go that far, but a reticence to engage with the fans (and to leave it to the other two) - and to basically moan about it publicly - which that track does, doesn’t sit well with me. It’s part of “the deal” I’m afraid, imho.
I know OB1 also said that he loved Signals. Had a listen again on Friday, but “Subdivisions” aside, I’d put it much lower on a ranked list of Rush albums.

Agree on “The Camera Eye”, although I think “Headlong Flight” from Clockwork Angels clocks in at over 9 minutes and is a great track.

Are you going to offer up a score for MP?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.