The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

@KnaresboroughBlue Is it Dvorak's The Water Goblin?
Yes. Dvořák's finest opera IMHO. The true name is Rusalka but translates as Water Sprite or Water Goblin. Well done!!

It's something a bit different and my favourite opera and the one I have seen most frequently. It also relates to the Czech Republic and as such an appropriate/emotional choice for me at this time as we are leaving the country this week to return to the UK for a couple of years due to my daughter's schooling.

It's over 2 and a half hours long (like pretty much all operas) but I did find a couple of highlights recordings that keeps it to around an hour or less. I shall post the write up and details of the available shorter recordings in a little while. We're moving house and country tomorrow so quite busy with packing and other arrangements!!

So what are we going to be listening to.
Dvorak:Piano Concerto,Op33/The Water Goblin or something completely different.
Either way looking forward to it.I have never listened to anything like this before.

Dvorak is my favourite composer but I'm not a fan of opera, possibly due to lack of exposure. There is hope though as I'm not averse to the choral parts of Beethoven's 9th and there is Gorecki's third symphony. This will be interesting.

A bit confused as googling the Water Goblin suggests it's a 20 minute symphonic poem not an opera?

Good luck with the move @KnaresboroughBlue

So my pick for this round is Dvořák’s Rusalka. I’m sorry but this is going to be a bit of a shorter write up as we are in the process of moving back to the UK, so I am rather preoccupied with other things.

Anyway, to the music. Rusalka is a lyric fairy tale in 3 acts and, in common with many other operas, has a tragic ending. It is likely based on the fairy tales of Czech writers Erben and Němcová with a fair bit of Andersen’s The Little Mermaid thrown in for good measure.

It tells the story of a water sprite (Rusalka) that falls in love with a human prince and desires to become human so that they can be together. She is granted that wish on the condition that she loses her ability to speak and becomes mortal. Also if she doesn’t find true love with the prince, he will die and she will be eternally damned.

As you can probably guess, they fall in love, the prince then betrays her and she is condemned to eternal misery but can save herself by killing the prince, which she refuses to do as she still loves him. The prince realises his mistake and searches for Rusalka. He asks for a kiss from her (despite knowing it will mean his death). They kiss and he dies. Happy stuff!!

It is my favourite opera and the one that I have been to see most often. I try to go to at least 10 operas per season and one of them that I always choose is Rusalka.

The best known piece from the opera is Měsíčku na nebi hlubokém (Song to the Moon) and this is my favourite aria from all operas. I find it incredibly moving. It’s popularity has increased in modern times and is frequently performed as an individual piece or as part of film/TV soundtracks. The rest of the songs are almost as wonderful too.

The opera (like most) usually takes over two and a half hours in total which I realise is far too long for this. I have, however, found on Spotify a couple of shorter, highlight recordings. The one that I would recommend is with the Czech Philharmonic and conducted by Sir Charles Mackerras. Renée Fleming sings the part of Rusalka and despite not being a Czech speaker, does an admirable job. There are also even shorter English and German language versions that are ok but to me it lacks something when not sung in its original language (but the choice is yours). If you type Rusalka highlights into Spotify, those options should come up.

We haven’t had an opera yet ,or anything in a foreign language, so it is something a bit different and a bit of a risk. I appreciate that opera may not be to everybody’s taste and I’m not expecting big scores or even many votes at all but it is a work that is very close to my heart and something I wanted to share. I hope that some of you will give it at least a chance. It really is worth it in my opinion.

Anyway, for the next couple of years I’ll be back in the UK, so this will most likely be my final Czech offering and my future choices will be a bit more mainstream.

Enjoy (or at least try to)!!

Top tip - If you can't face that much opera, you might get a bit of motivation if you type into Youtube 'Patricia Janečková - Rusalka'. She performs Měsíčku na nebi hlubokém and while not in Fleming's class, she is rather easy on the eye.

Last edited:
So what are we going to be listening to.
Dvorak:Piano Concerto,Op33/The Water Goblin or something completely different.
Either way looking forward to it.I have never listened to anything like this before.
It is actually his opera Rusalka (Rusalka is a water sprite).

Dvorak is my favourite composer but I'm not a fan of opera, possibly due to lack of exposure. There is hope though as I'm not averse to the choral parts of Beethoven's 9th and there is Gorecki's third symphony. This will be interesting.

A bit confused as googling the Water Goblin suggests it's a 20 minute symphonic poem not an opera?

Good luck with the move @KnaresboroughBlue
Just to clarify. It is the opera Rusalka (which is frequently translated into English as water sprite or water goblin). It is not his symphonic poem.

So my pick for this round is Dvořák’s Rusalka. I’m sorry but this is going to be a bit of a shorter write up as we are in the process of moving back to the UK, so I am rather preoccupied with other things.

Anyway, to the music. Rusalka is a lyric fairy tale in 3 acts and, in common with many other operas, has a tragic ending. It is likely based on the fairy tales of Czech writers Erben and Němcová with a fair bit of Andersen’s The Little Mermaid thrown in for good measure.

It tells the story of a water sprite (Rusalka) that falls in love with a human prince and desires to become human so that they can be together. She is granted that wish on the condition that she loses her ability to speak and becomes mortal. Also if she doesn’t find true love with the prince, he will die and she will be eternally damned.

As you can probably guess, they fall in love, the prince then betrays her and she is condemned to eternal misery but can save herself by killing the prince, which she refuses to do as she still loves him. The prince realises his mistake and searches for Rusalka. He asks for a kiss from her (despite knowing it will mean his death). They kiss and he dies. Happy stuff!!

It is my favourite opera and the one that I have been to see most often. I try to go to at least 10 operas per season and one of them that I always choose is Rusalka.

The best known piece from the opera is Měsíčku na nebi hlubokém (Song to the Moon) and this is my favourite aria from all operas. I find it incredibly moving. It’s popularity has increased in modern times and is frequently performed as an individual piece or as part of film/TV soundtracks. The rest of the songs are almost as wonderful too.

The opera (like most) usually takes over two and a half hours in total which I realise is far too long for this. I have, however, found on Spotify a couple of shorter, highlight recordings. The one that I would recommend is with the Czech Philharmonic and conducted by Sir Charles Mackerras. Renée Fleming sings the part of Rusalka and despite not being a Czech speaker, does an admirable job. There are also even shorter English and German language versions that are ok but to me it lacks something when not sung in its original language (but the choice is yours). If you type Rusalka highlights into Spotify, those options should come up.

We haven’t had an opera yet ,or anything in a foreign language, so it is something a bit different and a bit of a risk. I appreciate that opera may not be to everybody’s taste and I’m not expecting big scores or even many votes at all but it is a work that is very close to my heart and something I wanted to share. I hope that some of you will give it at least a chance. It really is worth it in my opinion.

Anyway, for the next couple of years I’ll be back in the UK, so this will most likely be my final Czech offering and my future choices will be a bit more mainstream.

Certainly sounds interesting. I'll give it a listen and score before my hols.

Best of luck with the move back to the UK - but best be warned: you won't be able to get a doctors or dentist appointment, we have the worst government in living memory, petrol's not cheap (I know this is a world-wide problem), holiday company's will cancel on you and getting a refund is like pulling teeth, the weather is either way too cold or way too hot. These are just some of the highlights!

Back to Rusalka - I know a little of the legend becaus one of my favourite Decemberists' songs is called Rusalka.

Certainly sounds interesting. I'll give it a listen and score before my hols.

Best of luck with the move back to the UK - but best be warned: you won't be able to get a doctors or dentist appointment, we have the worst government in living memory, petrol's not cheap (I know this is a world-wide problem), holiday company's will cancel on you and getting a refund is like pulling teeth, the weather is either way too cold or way too hot. These are just some of the highlights!

Back to Rusalka - I know a little of the legend becaus one of my favourite Decemberists' songs is called Rusalka.
Thanks for the heads up!! Hopefully it will only be 2 years while my youngest does her A levels (sadly they aren't available here). When she goes to university we are planning on moving back to Prague but, as the last few years have shown us, nothing is certain.

Top tip - If you can't face that much opera, you might get a bit of motivation if you type into Youtube Patricia Janečková - Rusalka. She performs Měsíčku na nebi hlubokém and while not in Fleming's class, she is rather easy on the eye.

What is it with operas? Sum total of operas I've seen are a couple of Puccini's and a Verdi and they were just as cheerful as this one!

Think Mozart's were a bit chirpier but seems like there needs to be more with happy endings (not that type). Maybe Khaldoon can commission 93:20 The Opera?

All the best for the move KB.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.