The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

we are missing a lot of genres and I think the Larkin list has more of a mix... but I'm loving this thread and any nomination is fine by me - personal preference is a band/artist pick that are big and somehow skipped me by - Pixies being one of them

For me to think that list has any meaning to me, I would have to see one of my favourit 10 or even 20 albums appear on it. Otherwise it is just an expansive collection of someone else's thouguts and tastes.

I do actually dip in and out and listen to things you put up where they are ones as Fog says I fancied listening to, but never got round to. But I feel that would be unfair to contribute to without some degree of consistency.

I am happy to listen to what people keep putting forward, and discussing that rather than what isn't or might be put forward.

Last edited:
For me to think that list has any meaning to me, I would have to see one of my favourit 10 or even 20 albums appear on it. Otherwise it is just an expansive collection of someone else's thouguts and tastes.

I do actually dip in and out and listen to things you put up where they are ones as Fog says I fancied listening to, but never got round to. But I feel that would be unfair to contribute to without some degree of consistency.

I am happy to listen to what people keep putting forward, and discussing that rather than what isn't or might be put forward.
Without quibbling (again) -- the Larkin 1000 is a list compiled from surveys of thousands of people, not Larkin's opinion (though he has his own personal lists too). That is what in part explains the large number of incredibly cruddy records that show up (a good portion of the survey were French consumers, eyeroll) in it as well as to some degree the recency bias (as in near the end of 2000). And this is in turn why @BlueHammer85 added the top 100 Rolling Stone records post 2000, which is compiled from music critics only vs. regular consumer/listeners.

I think there is a judgement call in terms of what genres will fly with the group we've got, or maybe more specifically which albums from a specific genre might work. If it was purely personal preference I'd probably nominate A Love Supreme by John Coltrane but I think for all it's influence there's probably much better choices to prompt discussion if I choose to go down the Jazz route.
There is definitely an element of that.
Nobody likes having their taste flattened online.

Great review mate!

Sonic Youth might be a good band for this group. Lots of different stages in their career to choose from. They can be a little too "jammy" for me but their best tunes are whallopers (I love "Teenage Riot", "Bull in the Heather" and "Incinerate", among many).

They might but to your point which stage do you pick? I'd probably go with something obvious like Dirty despite it not being my favourite. Could pick Ciccone Youth instead and try and convince Rob that Into the Groovey and Addicted To Love are evidence that covers are a legitimate art form :-)

Re Bull in the Heather, a bit too often I like to pull apart stuff and analyse why I like it, but Bull in The Heather is just one of those songs that sounds cool and that's the end of it. Even the video, in most videos if you had someone prancing about like the lass from Bikini Kill does in that one it would really wind me up, but I just think its cool and that's it.

As a latecomer to this thread would it be possible to link the albums in the table on page one to the page on which they are reviewed?

I think there is a judgement call in terms of what genres will fly with the group we've got, or maybe more specifically which albums from a specific genre might work. If it was purely personal preference I'd probably nominate A Love Supreme by John Coltrane but I think for all it's influence there's probably much better choices to prompt discussion if I choose to go down the Jazz route.
I was thinking maybe of a classic jazz album next.

As a latecomer to this thread would it be possible to link the albums in the table on page one to the page on which they are reviewed?
I asked about that before Christmas but unfortunately @RobMCFC doesn’t have that info. I have half a mind to trawl through myself when I do nights over the next few weeks as I wanted to look back at some of my own thoughts. Don’t hold me to it though…

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.