The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

@BlueHammer85

I'll follow up on our ongoing conversations on this. In doing the thread page search, stumbled across a post that had the full CL list plus the RS one. Was finally able to see it for myself. Again, my own views and maybe more of an explanation why I'm not as involved on the thread, and not in any way a negative aimed at it.

I'm not sure it is really much richer in terms of variety of genres and types. The list has a lot of the same bands and genres. It has almost the entire works of the Beatles for example, a lot of the Smiths. Hardly an example of variety. Sure there are lots to pick from, but only because of the sheer volume of over 1000 albums.

I had said earlier, for me to want to engage with that list, I'd need at least some albums dear to me to be part of it. And having looked at it, out of what I'd say are my favourite 20ish albums (I don't say top, I appreciate there are better albums, just more for me), there are 2 that appear on there. Better than nothing. There are plenty of albums on it that I consider great and like a lot. And was partly surprised at how many I had listened to.

Both the albums above were on my long list to consider nominating here anyway, so that may we be my next one then. And it would cover a pick from the CL list you can tick off, and possibly wouldn't have selected yourself. How does that sound?

@BlueHammer85

I'll follow up on our ongoing conversations on this. In doing the thread page search, stumbled across a post that had the full CL list plus the RS one. Was finally able to see it for myself. Again, my own views and maybe more of an explanation why I'm not as involved on the thread, and not in any way a negative aimed at it.

I'm not sure it is really much richer in terms of variety of genres and types. The list has a lot of the same bands and genres. It has almost the entire works of the Beatles for example, a lot of the Smiths. Hardly an example of variety. Sure there are lots to pick from, but only because of the sheer volume of over 1000 albums.

I had said earlier, for me to want to engage with that list, I'd need at least some albums dear to me to be part of it. And having looked at it, out of what I'd say are my favourite 20ish albums (I don't say top, I appreciate there are better albums, just more for me), there are 2 that appear on there. Better than nothing. There are plenty of albums on it that I consider great and like a lot. And was partly surprised at how many I had listened to.

Both the albums above were on my long list to consider nominating here anyway, so that may we be my next one then. And it would cover a pick from the CL list you can tick off, and possibly wouldn't have selected yourself. How does that sound?

No biggie mate. Both threads offer an Album to listen too so I’m not fussed either way. Every now and then someone will put an album of here that’s in the CL list anyway and I can tick that off (like this Pixies nomination)
I might do a CL album nomination once a month or something - should get 10 votes or more in that time aswell - but no pressure for anyone to listen/review, I barely have the time myself nowadays anyway

The Pixies.

Grunge, grunge lite, indie whatever you want to call it it left me a bit cold. Sure his voice is fucking annoying but if the music was standout-ish then I could, and I mean could, have got past it. But it wasn't and I can't. I'd never really listened to the Pixies before and in my head they were the pre-runners to grunge, the band they all looked up to. Genesis so to speak. But no, it's all very very bland topped up by any annoying singer who I can't work out if he's taking the piss or not.

At some points in my week I spend a lot of time in bed, listening to music, podcasts, audio books etc etc. I fell asleep to The Pixies at 10am. This was after a full nights sleep.

Not for me. Can't really see the appeal.

3/10

The Pixies.

Grunge, grunge lite, indie whatever you want to call it it left me a bit cold. Sure his voice is fucking annoying but if the music was standout-ish then I could, and I mean could, have got past it. But it wasn't and I can't. I'd never really listened to the Pixies before and in my head they were the pre-runners to grunge, the band they all looked up to. Genesis so to speak. But no, it's all very very bland topped up by any annoying singer who I can't work out if he's taking the piss or not.

At some points in my week I spend a lot of time in bed, listening to music, podcasts, audio books etc etc. I fell asleep to The Pixies at 10am. This was after a full nights sleep.

Not for me. Can't really see the appeal.

3/10
I'm suddenly worried about nominating tomorrow now and running into "Angry Bob" :)

Even though I rated it a bit higher, I agree about the voice.

I’ve started on my list. Easier than I thought, should have it done later today
An easier job than listening to the Pixies...

31- 356
32- 177
33- 287
34- 449
35- 247
36- 226
37- 667
38- 364
39- 463
40- 525
41- 621
42- 323
43- 425
44- 188 (what a great pick that was..)
45- 485

Now what am I going to do on my night shift Thursday?

An easier job than listening to the Pixies...

31- 356
32- 177
33- 287
34- 449
35- 247
36- 226
37- 667
38- 364
39- 463
40- 525
41- 621
42- 323
43- 425
44- 188 (what a great pick that was..)
45- 485

Now what am I going to do on my night shift Thursday?

Do the same for the Top 1100 thread

Cheers :)

The Pixies were a bit of a struggle and I wouldn't say I needed help but I did enlist my wife who declares herself as having been a fan back in the day. It's fair to say that I've kept up with my musical history more than she has but she is by no means a philistine, even if Adele and Coldplay are apparently good according to her...

Interesting that at the same time this was nominated I'd revisited the Dead Kennedys, a band I did like back in the day. I'm not saying there are direct comparisons apart from both can be noisy and to the unresponsive ear lack tunefulness. I think it is previous familiarity with the DKs that made them easier for me to listen to and pick out the "tunes".

My wife commented about the Pixies that "maybe you have to be younger to like them". She certainly was younger once, weren't we all. And although she had declared this their best album she also found it didn't hold her like it used to. She went on to say she preferred the Breeders, not that she was backtracking or anything.

It wasn't all bad, nothing is. Even Adele and Coldplay. I'd mentioned on my first comments about it that there are some really good tunes, some of it is immediate but the album could be summed up by the first 30 seconds or so. A great musical intro and then vocals trashing all over it. I'm not a purist by any means but I did find the vocals for the most part off putting.

As others have mentioned there are clear contrasts between the good and the bad although everyone seems to have a different view about what are the more palatable bits. Well, Here Comes Your Man is an example of that to be fair. A relatively straightforward delivery, a great hook. But that's pretty much in the minority.

To be fair it will be a while before I listen to the DKs again. Will be longer before I listen to the Pixies. Unless my wife wants a go at playing something and it's a toss up between these and Coldplay.

A 5 from me.

The Pixies were a bit of a struggle and I wouldn't say I needed help but I did enlist my wife who declares herself as having been a fan back in the day. It's fair to say that I've kept up with my musical history more than she has but she is by no means a philistine, even if Adele and Coldplay are apparently good according to her...

Interesting that at the same time this was nominated I'd revisited the Dead Kennedys, a band I did like back in the day. I'm not saying there are direct comparisons apart from both can be noisy and to the unresponsive ear lack tunefulness. I think it is previous familiarity with the DKs that made them easier for me to listen to and pick out the "tunes".

My wife commented about the Pixies that "maybe you have to be younger to like them". She certainly was younger once, weren't we all. And although she had declared this their best album she also found it didn't hold her like it used to. She went on to say she preferred the Breeders, not that she was backtracking or anything.

It wasn't all bad, nothing is. Even Adele and Coldplay. I'd mentioned on my first comments about it that there are some really good tunes, some of it is immediate but the album could be summed up by the first 30 seconds or so. A great musical intro and then vocals trashing all over it. I'm not a purist by any means but I did find the vocals for the most part off putting.

As others have mentioned there are clear contrasts between the good and the bad although everyone seems to have a different view about what are the more palatable bits. Well, Here Comes Your Man is an example of that to be fair. A relatively straightforward delivery, a great hook. But that's pretty much in the minority.

To be fair it will be a while before I listen to the DKs again. Will be longer before I listen to the Pixies. Unless my wife wants a go at playing something and it's a toss up between these and Coldplay.

A 5 from me.
And yet this is gonna end up scoring higher than The Breeders (I think). I think the best Breeders songs are better than the best Pixies songs, but The Breeders flights of fancy can be a little more misguided too, albeit there are fewer of them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.