The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Great pick.My favourite so far.
I have not skipped one track in the 4 listens so far.
Sugar Man a brilliant opener.
Only Good For Conversation reminds me of the Black Keys.
Crucify Your Mind reminds me of another song but I cannot think what one.
Hate Street Dialogue Buffalo Springfield.
I Wonder another great and simple track.
Rich Folks Hoax up there as a favourite song from this lp.
Jane S. Piddy Dylan with a voice to finish.
Not a duff track in this and easily the best new artist for me that I have heard in years.I will investigate further and keep on listening to this lp in the coming weeks and months.9/10.

I get the Dylan, Springfield, Donovan comparisons, and will add Cat Stevens into the mix. Not in any way unique or original, but works well, some good songs and that's really what it's mostly about isn't it. Crucify your mind was the song that I liked most on it. A solid 7, including rounding up on the promise of what sounds like a decent film, which I take as part of this nomination.

I get the Dylan, Springfield, Donovan comparisons, and will add Cat Stevens into the mix. Not in any way unique or original, but works well, some good songs and that's really what it's mostly about isn't it. Crucify your mind was the song that I liked most on it. A solid 7, including rounding up on the promise of what sounds like a decent film, which I take as part of this nomination.
i was going to mention Cat Stevens too , that’s the problem in leaving my reviews so late !

Cold Fact

thanks @Gaudion M a really good pick which made me watch the film that’d I planned to watch years ago but never did.
As for album , some great tunes,Sugar Man, Crucify your mind and I wonder were my personal favourites,shame Gommorah did‘nt live up to the TV series lol.
Like others have said theres lots of familiar influences , but Rodriquez has his own style.Only downside was ,it did sound of its time in parts.

A solid 7 bumped upto 8 for the documentary.

Upcoming 'Spring' Break Playlist.

Nominations now open - close Wednesday 26th

Went back through the last (and first) time we did this, just to remind myself of how Rob ran it. Which wasn't easy as it was spread over a number of weeks beforehand given it was a new idea.

What I have noticed is that the call to submit songs started a couple of weeks beforehand, with people sending them in as the albums played, the deadline coinciding with the end of the final submission, for an almost seamless transition.

So I will do the same, we have one more nomination coming up, and one more week to run.

Could everyone that wants to submit send me their song VIA PM please. Any time this week, by the close of play Wednesday the 26th.

I will then put the playlist up on Thursday 27th, with a refresher of the other 'rules' and further timelines.

Once again, non-regulars that have a passing interest, or regulars that have eased off, are more than welcome in what is a one off one song nomination.

Wow, one of the best picks ever for me.

Never knew about the documentary at all. Was a great watch. Yet I was still left skeptical , was he really that good? Comparing him to Dylan? Come off it !

But what the hell, it’s just superb and yes could easily pass as a Dylan album. Great tracks, Great Melodies and Great lyrics.

Aside ‘Gommorah’ with what has to be one of the worst sounding choruses I’ve ever heard - the rest is spectacular. ‘Crucify Your Mind’ and ‘I Wonder’ the instant sweet catchy numbers, ‘Sugar Man’ is the hit for sure and I like the psychedelic sound.

And if you really need proof of the Dylan comparison …

Awesome pick! @Gaudion M

9/10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.