The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Really enjoyed this pick. Although not the same musically i was getting the same vibe as the JJ Cale album. Interestingly when this finished on Spotify JJ Cale was the next one up.

Gomorrah was easily the low point, but the guitar work picked it up. Thankfully whilst I can understand the Dylan references that did not spoil it! A solid 8/10 from me

Wow, one of the best picks ever for me.

Never knew about the documentary at all. Was a great watch. Yet I was still left skeptical , was he really that good? Comparing him to Dylan? Come off it !

But what the hell, it’s just superb and yes could easily pass as a Dylan album. Great tracks, Great Melodies and Great lyrics.

Aside ‘Gommorah’ with what has to be one of the worst sounding choruses I’ve ever heard - the rest is spectacular. ‘Crucify Your Mind’ and ‘I Wonder’ the instant sweet catchy numbers, ‘Sugar Man’ is the hit for sure and I like the psychedelic sound.

And if you really need proof of the Dylan comparison …

Awesome pick! @Gaudion M

9/10

Yep. That's the very same Dylan song I referenced in my review. Rodriguez's vocals definitely reminded me of Dylan on that song.

Really enjoyed this pick. Although not the same musically i was getting the same vibe as the JJ Cale album. Interestingly when this finished on Spotify JJ Cale was the next one up.

Gomorrah was easily the low point, but the guitar work picked it up. Thankfully whilst I can understand the Dylan references that did not spoil it! A solid 8/10 from me

I'd agree with that point about the JJ Cale despite the obvious differences.

On the subject of that album I did think that maybe after a period I would be less enamoured than I was when it was the pick; but not at all it's the gift that keeps on giving and am liking much of his other stuff that now pops up on autoplay too.

Rodriguez is surely destined to crash into the Bluemoon album thread top 3. They should do a follow up documentary, never mind being bigger than Elvis in South Africa, this is surely the acclaim he never knew he needed but would crave if he did know.

I've just looked at sugarman.org it still looks sufficiently homespun that I reckon if we wrote to them/him explaining that on our little corner of the interweb he had bested Dylan, Lou Reed and Joni Mitchell amongst others we'd get a polite albeit probably bemused response back!

I also see from there he had a stroke in March (he's 81 now) but his family say he's had successful surgery and is on the mend.

I've just looked at sugarman.org it still looks sufficiently homespun that I reckon if we wrote to them/him explaining that on our little corner of the interweb he had bested Dylan, Lou Reed and Joni Mitchell amongst others we'd get a polite albeit probably bemused response back!

I also see from there he had a stroke in March (he's 81 now) but his family say he's had successful surgery and is on the mend.

wonder if we could arrange a private gig

wonder if we could arrange a private gig

'kinell @BlueHammer85 , I know you like your music but trying to drag a poorly 81 year old from his bed to do a few tunes on zoom seems a bit harsh, unless you were planning to lay on a charter jet so we could rock.up on his doorstep in which case I'm in as long as you're paying for it :-)

The fact there was a link to another Web forum was one of the drivers for this being a really good option for this thread.

Maybe they have a thread on best all time footballers with Paul Lake in the top 10?

'kinell @BlueHammer85 , I know you like your music but trying to drag a poorly 81 year old from his bed to do a few tunes on zoom seems a bit harsh, unless you were planning to lay on a charter jet so we could rock.up on his doorstep in which case I'm in as long as you're paying for it :-)

will consider, certainly would be a fitting end to his career. especially if we set him on light after. let the legacy live on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.