The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Confession. I have always avoided ZZ Top like the plague. Don't know why. Actually, I do. I remember the cheesy as fuck videos on tv that did my nut in. So I convinced myself they were a gimmick act. First listen, I repent.

Confession. I have always avoided ZZ Top like the plague. Don't know why. Actually, I do. I remember the cheesy as fuck videos on tv that did my nut in. So I convinced myself they were a gimmick act. First listen, I repent.
Confession. It was the videos that drew me in. I'll cover that part in my review.

I love ZZ Top, one of my go to bands. I've heard most of their older albums so many times that I find it hard to judge them because everything is so familiar, however ....

... this one I never really took to. I rarely play it. Deguello was the start of the new ZZ Top and it just isn't as good as the old stuff. They did reach a second high point with Eliminator and Afterburner but by then the music scene had changed so much they were just repeating themselves and I rarely listen to the latest albums.

As for Deguello, there's some songs I like such as "Lowdown in the Street" and "Esther Be The One" and some I detest "Manic Mechanic" and "Dust My Broom" with the rest being standard ZZ Top fare. Has to be a 5/10 for me, I would rank at least 9 of their albums higher than this one, including all that preceded it.

On a slightly different note, I tried the ZZ Top six Pack album last week where they recreated their first 5 albums and album #7 (Deguello was #6 so not included) in the style of Eliminator. It's the biggest pile of crap going and it's just new drum and guitar effects but maybe they discounted Deguello for treatment because they themselves didn't think there was enough quality, although El Loco (#7) is apparently just the original untouched versions, so not sure if they just gave up.

I love ZZ Top, one of my go to bands. I've heard most of their older albums so many times that I find it hard to judge them because everything is so familiar, however ....

... this one I never really took to. I rarely play it. Deguello was the start of the new ZZ Top and it just isn't as good as the old stuff. They did reach a second high point with Eliminator and Afterburner but by then the music scene had changed so much they were just repeating themselves and I rarely listen to the latest albums.

As for Deguello, there's some songs I like such as "Lowdown in the Street" and "Esther Be The One" and some I detest "Manic Mechanic" and "Dust My Broom" with the rest being standard ZZ Top fare. Has to be a 5/10 for me, I would rank at least 9 of their albums higher than this one, including all that preceded it.

On a slightly different note, I tried the ZZ Top six Pack album last week where they recreated their first 5 albums and album #7 (Deguello was #6 so not included) in the style of Eliminator. It's the biggest pile of crap going and it's just new drum and guitar effects but maybe they discounted Deguello for treatment because they themselves didn't think there was enough quality, although El Loco (#7) is apparently just the original untouched versions, so not sure if they just gave up.
Interesting stat: You have reviewed 16 albums for this thread, but this is your first review/score since Gornik's last nomination (Doolittle by The Pixies).

This is a good review and insight - you should post in here more often - and maybe even join the nominators!

Interesting stat: You have reviewed 16 albums for this thread, but this is your first review/score since Gornik's last nomination (Doolittle by The Pixies).

This is a good review and insight - you should post in here more often - and maybe even join the nominators!
I struggle to find the time and found that I was just seemingly criticising everybody else's music (maybe not giving nominations enough play time to appreciate things). I found that a bit depressing because I always thought I had a very wide range of taste in music, but one area I struggle with is Manchester bands so it's going to pop up quite a bit!

I can do it with this one because I know the album and band already but I do pop in for a read every now and then, you're doing a cracking job. Maybe one day I'll nominate something.

I struggle to find the time and found that I was just seemingly criticising everybody else's music (maybe not giving nominations enough play time to appreciate things). I found that a bit depressing because I always thought I had a very wide range of taste in music, but one area I struggle with is Manchester bands so it's going to pop up quite a bit!

I can do it with this one because I know the album and band already but I do pop in for a read every now and then, you're doing a cracking job. Maybe one day I'll nominate something.
Cheers. One thing that I thought that I'd have to put up with a lot more than I have is people nominating Manchester/indie bands on here, but I have to say the variety has been fantastic. I think The Smiths album is the only Manchester band we've had (and even that was OK).

You're probably a bit like me: I've got a much narrower taste in music than some on here. I'd much rather listen to some average boogie blues than a whiny indie band, but I have found that I have appreciated most of what has been nominated on this thread.

But I understand what you are saying about the time constraints, and I welcome everybody's input however regular/intermittent that may be.

I also feel a lot of the albums nominated are going to be a chore to get through. But it's a good way to expand what you listen to. And if it's shit then it's shit.

My first reaction to a ZZ top album was this will be shit. I listened and it did nothing for me.

But having read the various views I've gone back to the first album and it's infinitely better.

I'd score Deguello 2 out of 10.

But the first album is an easy 7, maybe more.

Only 2 listens this week.I couldn't take any more which is a shame because I had a listen to El Loco after and it was decent.
Looks like you picked the wrong lp for my tastes.2/10.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.