The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Cheers. One thing that I thought that I'd have to put up with a lot more than I have is people nominating Manchester/indie bands on here, but I have to say the variety has been fantastic. I think The Smiths album is the only Manchester band we've had (and even that was OK).

You're probably a bit like me: I've got a much narrower taste in music than some on here. I'd much rather listen to some average boogie blues than a whiny indie band, but I have found that I have appreciated most of what has been nominated on this thread.

But I understand what you are saying about the time constraints, and I welcome everybody's input however regular/intermittent that may be.
Sorry to correct you Rob but if you scroll down the list you will find a couple more including Fog's and my favourite Manchester Band. Well if you view Greater Manchester as Manchester that is.

Or even the last few.
I really should try the later albums again, but just can't get into them as much as the early stuff.

Tejas for me every time (and I don't mean that fat Spanish fascist).

Mister Ten Dollar Man with that gold in your hand,
Comin' 'round here after sunlight
With your peaches and your Pream
And your rollin' magazine,
Tellin' me you'll make me feel alright.
Now, you'll make me feel alright
Mister Ten Dollar Man with a girl by the hand,
Will this ten-spot take her away?
With his slaver's finance
He winked; Said, "Take a chance."
Don't you know, it happens every day.
I said it happens every day.
Mister Ten Dollar Man with that gun in your hand,
Can I get a case of those tonight?
And now you've got the order;
I said it's time to slip the border
Don't you know it happens every day
I said it happens every day

I have absolutely no idea what's happening but it ain't legal.

Sorry to correct you Rob but if you scroll down the list you will find a couple more including Fog's and my favourite Manchester Band. Well if you view Greater Manchester as Manchester that is.
Correct, and well spotted. In addition to The Smiths, we've also had New Order, Oasis and 10cc.

See, this is why I like this thread. If you said Texan blues to me I would think of SRV, Albert Collins and maybe T-Bone Walker. It probably wouldn't occur to me to think of ZZ Top because my initial exposure to them was Eliminator and I pretty much dismissed them as MTV friendly southern rock with a few entertainingly daft gimmicks.

I've now had a very quick scoot round some of their early back catalogue and it sounds quite interesting. So already as a result of this pick I've been educated a bit and had some of my prejudices and misconceptions removed; so this nomination is in credit irrespective of what score I ultimately give this particular album.

See, this is why I like this thread. If you said Texan blues to me I would think of SRV, Albert Collins and maybe T-Bone Walker. It probably wouldn't occur to me to think of ZZ Top because my initial exposure to them was Eliminator and I pretty much dismissed them as MTV friendly southern rock with a few entertainingly daft gimmicks.

I've now had a very quick scoot round some of their early back catalogue and it sounds quite interesting. So already as a result of this pick I've been educated a bit and had some of my prejudices and misconceptions removed; so this nomination is in credit irrespective of what score I ultimately give this particular album.
It's very interesting reading the comments on here. Plenty of comments about "I didn't like album X but album Y is much better" or the earlier and later stuff is much better than the MTV-era stuff.

Has nobody spotted that, at best, there's only ever a little variation in their sound? Most of their albums (that I've heard) follow the same template, occasionally throwing in a bit of synth or sequencing, but it's primarily Texas boogie, fuzz guitar with drums and bass.

Correct, and well spotted. In addition to The Smiths, we've also had New Order, Oasis and 10cc.
I need to spend more time on this thread if I am to gain detail that might mean I can give you a stiffer challenge next time we participate in the playlist challenge cup.

if you and Fog are the Man City in the challenge I am merely the Liverpool and Manure and I don't like that situation.

It's very interesting reading the comments on here. Plenty of comments about "I didn't like album X but album Y is much better" or the earlier and later stuff is much better than the MTV-era stuff.

Has nobody spotted that, at best, there's only ever a little variation in their sound? Most of their albums (that I've heard) follow the same template, occasionally throwing in a bit of synth or sequencing, but it's primarily Texas boogie, fuzz guitar with drums and bass.

They added an 80's sheen to a couple of albums - and went mega - but you are right that fundamentally, they plough a fairly narrow furrow. They just plough it better than anyone else.

I've been a big fan of the Top since around 1975, when a friend bought Fandango and introduced them to me. One listen to Tush and I was hooked.

Probably a tad harsh to call them the Billy Gibbons trio but that is essentially what they are; although Dusty and Frank (No) Beard provided super solid support.

Gibbons is my kind of rock star: whip smart, great - albeit quirky sense of humour - and a man of the people, well, he allegedly often travels on the Tube when in London. Plus he is a wicked guitar player, has the chops but knows the benefit of not shredding the life out of anything.

His three solo albums are wonderful and a little more varied stylistically than ZZ. Going to see him in not too distant future at the Bush. Think set list will feature both Top and solo material.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.