The Album Review Club - Week #143 - (page 1884) - I Should Coco - Supergrass

I can't spot it.
I think Noel has been cited as a fan of the band as has Tim Burgess. Don't see Oasis in there but some early time period Echo and The Bunnymen. Certainly influenced Editors, White Lies, The Slow Readers Club and Interpol.

Last edited:
My mates were mad on The Chameleons back in the day and I just couldn’t see what all the fuss was about. I thought they were boring. Like a lot on here I’m sure, I did once meet Mark Burgess when he worked at the ticket office, although I initially didn’t realise who he was. It has been almost 40 years now, so I’ll give it a listen later.
Listened, or rather tried to listen, to this again today. The passage of time hasn’t changed my opinion one bit. In fact, it reminded me of a comment about them I used to make back in the day to my Chameleons-loving mates, partly because it was true and partly because it wound them up no end. They’re like a slightly more bearable U2.
2/10

Listened, or rather tried to listen, to this again today. The passage of time hasn’t changed my opinion one bit. In fact, it reminded me of a comment about them I used to make back in the day to my Chameleons-loving mates, partly because it was true and partly because it wound them up no end. They’re like a slightly more bearable U2.
2/10
I don't think the band would mind the early U2 comparison. Pretty sure I read they ripped off the Edges guitar tone

I don't think the band would mind the early U2 comparison. Pretty sure I read they ripped off the Edges guitar tone
And that’s one of the difficulties I’m having with it.
Early U2 were incredibly shite, before The Hedge actually learned guitar and Bonehead discovered falsetto and breath control.
Believe me U2 were poor but had potential and were very well managed.

I’m getting a similar one pace incredibly limited raw, not in a good way, feel from these. Really thought I’d like them much better. I mean, undoubtedly there is potential there. There is something almost interesting, but was it managed as well?
I have no idea.

I haven’t a clue what he is singing about in any song. I don’t know whether that’s down to the production or his delivery.
Nothing in any of the songs has me investigating to find out though.

Someone posted ‘Meh!’
That’s where I’m at, at the present, but I won’t give up on it yet.

And that’s one of the difficulties I’m having with it.
Early U2 were incredibly shite, before The Hedge actually learned guitar and Bonehead discovered falsetto and breath control.
Believe me U2 were poor but had potential and were very well managed.

I’m getting a similar one pace incredibly limited raw, not in a good way, feel from these. Really thought I’d like them much better. I mean, undoubtedly there is potential there. There is something almost interesting, but was it managed as well?
I have no idea.

I haven’t a clue what he is singing about in any song. I don’t know whether that’s down to the production or his delivery.
Nothing in any of the songs has me investigating to find out though.

Someone posted ‘Meh!’
That’s where I’m at, at the present, but I won’t give up on it yet.
I was a hard meh for my first two listens. I had to take a trip to IKEA Warrington last night so just put it on for the third time just to get it done and it was like I was hearing it for the first time.

I did read the lyrics but then an article that said Burgess didn't spend too long on the lyrics and it's mainly just stream of consciousness stuff so it has some nice turns of phrase but I don't think it has a grand plan.

U2 are a band I've never been too interested in. Are they worth a listen?

I was a hard meh for my first two listens. I had to take a trip to IKEA Warrington last night so just put it on for the third time just to get it done and it was like I was hearing it for the first time.

I did read the lyrics but then an article that said Burgess didn't spend too long on the lyrics and it's mainly just stream of consciousness stuff so it has some nice turns of phrase but I don't think it has a grand plan.

U2 are a band I've never been too interested in. Are they worth a listen?
U2?
Whatever you’re into.
I’m quite serious when I say they were shite and could not play. Larry was the best musician of the lot, having learned drums in the Artane Boys Band (Look them up).
He was also the most normal of the lot. The Hedge and Bonehead were into some sort of religious born again something or other tripe.
It was something like 50p to see them in the Dandelion Market on a Sunday afternoon and we had no interest in paying in to see them.

However, they were persistent and by the time Sunday Bloody Sunday came around they had an on stage act that America embraced. See live at Red Rock on YouTube and you’ll see what I mean. They definitely captured something and Paul McGuinness, saw this and his management of the band saw them concentrate on breaking America.

The Unforgettable Fire is a good album and as an America-centric follow up, they absolutely nailed it with The Joshua Tree.
I’ll admit it’s a great album, but it kind of went to their heads in my opinion and they never equalled it while seeming to want to replicate the American appeal.
I never really listened to any of their stuff after that.

Some people like them however and they do put a good live show on.

I’m down to Tomorrow Never knows having endured, John I’m Only Dancing and I have to say I’m starting to find the guys delivery very irritating.
The same Echo and reverb guitar production style is monotonous and annoying also.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.