The Album Review Club - Week #143 - (page 1884) - I Should Coco - Supergrass

I can't hear the Chameleons in Oasis at all.
Noel has only ever mentioned Strange Times and that is not their best album. I mean it got 6/10 in Smash Hits!

I can't hear the Chameleons in Oasis at all.
Noel has only ever mentioned Strange Times and that is not their best album. I mean it got 6/10 in Smash Hits!
Me neither. The closest they ever got was the reverb/echo bit at the end of rock n roll star

What am I getting from my first listen?

A bit of vocal Teardrop Explodes, a bit of rhythmic Sisters of Mercy, A bit of early U2 guitar, A lot of early Cure, a bit of early to mid Simple Minds, a smidgeon of Smiths, a bit of This Mortal Coil...
I got notes of blackberry, wet dog and a early spring morning in Middleton

I liked early U2, I think Boy and War are my favourite before they started going a bit wanky.

What am I getting from my first listen?

A bit of vocal Teardrop Explodes, a bit of rhythmic Sisters of Mercy, A bit of early U2 guitar, A lot of early Cure, a bit of early to mid Simple Minds, a smidgeon of Smiths, a bit of This Mortal Coil...all sort of squeezed in to a record I'm finding very familiar due to the above but also very samey due to the songs structures.

I'm thinking this is more of a mid 80's gothish record than a precursor to the Britpop explosion.

It is very much of its time and you’ve nailed it.

Might give it another listen but my Rory Gallagher at the BBC box set has just arrived so that is going to take some listening to.

Therefore - I’ll give The Chameleons a nostalgic 6/10.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.