The Album Review Club - Week #143 - (page 1884) - I Should Coco - Supergrass

I SHOULD COCO

I’m in the same position as OB1,I just don’t have the time nor am I as articulate in my writing skills to do the wonderful reviews Rob,Spires,Foggy and now Mr Belfry do.I’m happy just to do the three listens and more on occasions then decide if I like what I’m hearing.i love this thread as I get to hear music that I’ve not heard before, others that I’d not heard in ages and occasionally find a hidden game ala JJC,FR and Rodriguez.

Unfortunately this isn’t one of them, I was never into Brit Pop so I’ve only ever heard ‘Alright’ which I quite liked.The rest of the album is ok, quite listenable while driving, a bit punky in places which I like.As others have noted there’s a bit of a Madness sound on some tracks and Gaz Coombs soundslike Peter Perrett on others.
Best tracks for me the first three also liked ‘Lenny’ ‘Strange Ones’ and the slower ones.
‘we’re not supposed to’ sounds like something from the awful Haribo ads.

All in all a fun listen but nothing that would make me want to investigate further..

6.5/10

Apologies for the late response. Once again I start doing something on a day off and get sidetracked by colleagues referring work issues to me.
As I said after my first listen and has been reiterated by so many. A great first album, showing their yourthful exuberance. Energetic and exciting in parts and perhaps showing a few influences across the album.
I did think after a couple of listens that it was perhaps in need of some editing down. A couple of tracks simply not needing to be on there, but that they were because it was their album and they wanted to show a bit of humour (We'e Not Suppose to / Time to Go).
"I'd Like To Know" I thought had a touch of the Stranglers and was a great start to the album and did provide me with the idea that there was some punk in there. I also got bits of a 60s vibe, bits of The Kinks or Gaz trying to sound a bit Jaggerish on "Time".
Caught By The Fuzz was excellent as was Lenny (and I too got the Whole Lotta Love "homage"?)
Strange Ones was indeed strange as I could have almost thought Black Francis was doing the verses and then it changes style for the chorus. Still very enjoyable though. That said, not sure what the need for the bells were at the end of that and the start of Sitting Up Straight.
I had never listened to any album by Supergrass and had only bothered with the singles so it was enlightening once again, but also very enjoyable.
As I said one first listen, a breath of fresh air after last week.
It's a 7 from the Derry jury

Well this nomination has come at a time when I've got full on Covid. I've been feeling very under the weather from it and whilst I'm over the worse of it, Covid will always remind me of a particular album - and what a belter it is!
I have to come back to @GoatersLeftShin 's excellent write up, because on its own, it fired me up to listen to this album. First off, I hope you are doing better. I've been on 3 weeks of continuous travel on weekdays, and felt the need to take a Covid test after week 1 for the first time since my 2021-2 UK trip, and I was glad it was negative. My wife reminded me that the test kit had expired, but I reminded her that the good news of a negative was the timely news I needed.
The reason this album means so much to me is that it's ended up being almost the anthem of 1995 but also kind of heralded the very last night out we had too before the Covid lockdown.

On Saturday 29th Febrarury 2020 - just a few weeks before Covid changed the UK - a big group of us had tickets to go and see them over in Leeds. We were staying over and looking at the set list they were basically going to play a lot from I Should Coco and everyone was buzzing for the gig.

So my pre-pandemic story is I knew the Covid lockdown was coming (despite some in government leadership denying science), and it was after the first cruise ships and deaths in January were getting quarantined and no one was taking this seriously. I had to take a final customer trip from Feb 25-27, and I saw one TSA worker wearing a mask on the way to Memphis. On my way back, I saw over 10 travelers in the airport wearing one - shite was getting real. Since it was still winter, I took a scarf with me and used that on the plane to keep my breathing covered and aided by what I thought was the best semblance of a mask without actually having one at that point. Little did I know how used to wearing (most) all of us would be soon-after. I knew that would be my last trip for a long while, and my biggest memory of Feb 29 on the day of your gig was my middle son's 21st birthday (big in the US for being of age) being delayed by a leap day as we planned to safely go out and celebrate with him. At least we got that in an outdoor setting with nice temps before it all went down so fast.
We got to the O2 in Leeds and Supergrass came on stage and basically blasted out most of I Should Coco. I was stood there hearing these magnificent pop anthems, but I couldn't help but feel that there was something completely profound and unnerving about what I'd heard. The atmosphere was electric, partly because it was a blast from the 90s but I do think that many other people had a feeling that this was the last time they'd be able to go to a gig for a while. There was something in the air that night for sure. Funnily enough, when I heard 'The Eve of the War' the other week, it made me think that watching Supergrass in Leeds was almost like that - everyone carrying on as if there was nothing to worry about but little did we know what was about to happen.
Well described feeling and I concur on that same feeling with that song. Little did we know, even if we did. Thinking things will have to change and experiencing it were two different things.

It really is quite strange how music can do this - on the one hand I associate I Should Coco with carefree days, parties and what seemed to be one of the best summers ever. Every song just seemed so effortlessly catchy, and it was also one of many brilliant albums that year. However, it also ended up being my pre-and-in-Covid album too! I will never be able to hear this album again without thinking of these two completely opposite experiences!

Anyway, some of you will have heard it before, but if not you are in for a treat.

It's a Britpop masterpiece.

While I'm not ready to put this up with my enjoyment of The Bends or What's the Story (Morning Glory), this debut effort does pack a punk punch. The first two tracks come out of the gate swinging both sonically and musically and really had me thinking this album was released at least two decades earlier in punk's origins if I didn't know better.

The start of "Mansize Rooster" actually had me thinking of an Oasis tempo, nicely done. Given I've already noted I wasn't familiar with "Alright", I will admit it really is the deserved hit of the album as it changed from the punkness heard earlier to this well done hit. I doubt I'll ever get to @BlueHammer85's numbers of hearing this song, but I doubt he'll ever hear “Who Let the Dogs Out” or "All Star" as much as I have had to either. ;-)

I can't say I heard the "Whole Lotta Love" connection musically right away in "Lenny", but the guitar from the get go was quite familiar. "Strange Ones" was indeed that, but I could also see that one being a hit with fans. Musically, "She's So Loose" works for me more than the lyrics or vocals (by this point), but it really is probably the song musically that hits the best. I didn't like the voice alterations in "We're Not Supposed To", but maybe that's just me. "Time" kinds of plods on a bit, but "Sofa" brings a nice sonic sound that helps out the second half of the album. Good choice to end things on a short acoustic feeling on "Time to Go", which also reminded me more than a bit of "Half The World Away" from DM released the year prior. I'm sure others have noticed this too.

It's tough to judge opening band albums because we know the initial sounds are usually based on influences, and this one sounded very punk influenced. I've heard Gaz Coombes solo music a bit, which I do like, but time will tell if I enjoy his band more than his solo efforts. Right now, I'm feeling the solo a bit more. For me this lands at a 6.5 with some nice enjoyable moments, but I'm not as much into the punk background as others who will rate this higher.

Last edited:
I know I've been absent for a bit, but I did get a chance to listen to this and enjoyed it -- I knew the big hit (on the "Clueless" soundtrack as well, which I've brought up a few times on other threads) but I actually enjoyed the varied semi-punk-pop tunes a bit more. The sing-songy vocals did really irritate me though -- I'm normally voice-neutral, but here they don't add value, they subtract. I guess what that means is the music is 7, but the vocals are a 5, so a 6 is my score. Hope to recover for more thorough reviews at some point next month!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.