The Album Review Club - Week #144 - (page 1893) - XO - Elliot Smith

Yeah, I suppose there's a bit of fun in seeing people gradually make progress on the clues.

Should have got it without the extra clue if I'd remembered he makes Todd shout Yawp. Doesn't matter how often it's on, Mrs Spires always cries at that film.

Might not be a typical Rob choice but there's a slide in there so I'm now waiting for the banjo :-)

Should have got it without the extra clue if I'd remembered he makes Todd shout Yawp. Doesn't matter how often it's on, Mrs Spires always cries at that film.

Might not be a typical Rob choice but there's a slide in there so I'm now waiting for the banjo :-)
Plenty of slide, no banjo.

After hearing a bit of the YouTube links...seems my kind of thing! I'm convinced I've heard "Doing it right" before, but absolutely no idea where as I've never heard of them!!
First impressions, they sound like an acoustic White Stripes ;)

After hearing a bit of the YouTube links...seems my kind of thing! I'm convinced I've heard "Doing it right" before, but absolutely no idea where as I've never heard of them!!
First impressions, they sound like an acoustic White Stripes ;)
Based on past selections, I would think that this is definitely your kind of thing.

Never seen it, but apparently, "Doing it Right" was featured in Ray Donovan.

Sorry only just had time to listen to Have you lost your mind yet so hope I am not too late with a score!

It reminded me a bit of Outkast which is a good thing and there was plenty to like on the album but not quite enough for me to give it a higher score. I was not expecting it though based on the xover!

A very solid 7 from me.

Sorry only just had time to listen to Have you lost your mind yet so hope I am not too late with a score!

It reminded me a bit of Outkast which is a good thing and there was plenty to like on the album but not quite enough for me to give it a higher score. I was not expecting it though based on the xover!

A very solid 7 from me.
Scores should be in by 12.00 Wednesday, so yes, in that respect, it's too late. I have to set a deadline and then update the spreadsheet + publish the average. And it's a bit of a faff if I have to keep updating and re-posting the score whenever a new vote comes in. So for that reason, any scores after i publish the average are ignored.

However, the scores are only one aspect of listening/reviewing (and probably the least important) so it's perfectly reasonable to post your review later for whatever reason.

Based on past selections, I would think that this is definitely your kind of thing.

Never seen it, but apparently, "Doing it Right" was featured in Ray Donovan.
Never seen Ray Donovan!! Unless it was on a trailer?
So, this was like one of those goosebumps inducing flashbacks, when you think you've re experienced something you've lived through before (or maybe not everyone has those moments)? I could swear I've heard this album before, but I know 100% that I haven't.
Acoustic White Stripes, dollop of Levellers (especially Beale Street, it's the fiddle) and his voice sounds exactly like somebody else, but for life of me, I can't place who, or the band....i'm sure it will come to me over the next week.
Best song Kiss It, followed by Beale St/Walter/Doing it Right...Deacon Brodie almost gets in that group.
Weakest for me is Faith and Good Judgement, followed by American Man and 3am.
Overall, my kinda thing, love to see them live!
A 9 for me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.