The Album Review Club - Week #144 - (page 1893) - XO - Elliot Smith

Never seen Ray Donovan!! Unless it was on a trailer?
So, this was like one of those goosebumps inducing flashbacks, when you think you've re experienced something you've lived through before (or maybe not everyone has those moments)? I could swear I've heard this album before, but I know 100% that I haven't.
Acoustic White Stripes, dollop of Levellers (especially Beale Street, it's the fiddle) and his voice sounds exactly like somebody else, but for life of me, I can't place who, or the band....i'm sure it will come to me over the next week.
Best song Kiss It, followed by Beale St/Walter/Doing it Right...Deacon Brodie almost gets in that group.
Weakest for me is Faith and Good Judgement, followed by American Man and 3am.
Overall, my kinda thing, love to see them live!
A 9 for me.
Not sure they’ve ever played here, but watch that Audiotree live session, it’s superb.

Hard to pick a favourite as it changes regularly, but I’d agree that “Doing it Right”, “Walter” and “Kiss It” are right up there.

Also agree that the title track and “Faith and Good Judgement” are two of the weakest, but stick with “3AM” as it’s great after a few listens.

So, this was like one of those goosebumps inducing flashbacks, when you think you've re experienced something you've lived through before (or maybe not everyone has those moments)? I could swear I've heard this album before, but I know 100% that I haven't.
Acoustic White Stripes, dollop of Levellers (especially Beale Street, it's the fiddle) and his voice sounds exactly like somebody else, but for life of me, I can't place who, or the band....i'm sure it will come to me over the next week.
Best song Kiss It, followed by Beale St/Walter/Doing it Right...Deacon Brodie almost gets in that group.
A 9 for me.

That was a rapid review! Mine won't be anywhere near as quick in part because you mentioned Levellers and it occurred to me I hadn't listened to them in ages and I now notice they've put out 2 albums since I last gave them a spin.

Can't work out if Nate Cook's vocals remind me of someone else or an amalgamation of 2 or 3 others.

Anyway, first impressions favourable.

Not sure they’ve ever played here, but watch that Audiotree live session, it’s superb.

Hard to pick a favourite as it changes regularly, but I’d agree that “Doing it Right”, “Walter” and “Kiss It” are right up there.

Also agree that the title track and “Faith and Good Judgement” are two of the weakest, but stick with “3AM” as it’s great after a few listens.
According to 'set list fm' they have played here twice....both gigs in Kingston-upon-Hull of all places, and have played once in Serbia, and a few times (mainly festivals I think) in Holland and Germany.
Doesn't look like they've played anywhere since Sept last year.

This is a bonza Rob as we say in OZ , I hadn't heard much of their material before but I might be in the future.

Excellent instrumentation , love the control on most of the tracks and tempo changes.

Would like to see this band live as well.

No real standouts that I would rate a 9 but not a single track I wouldn't play again and overall the album gels and each track creates that necessary article of virtu that you look forward to what is next.

Has to be an 8 for me and on reflection your best selection to date which for me is a surprise as I don't listen to much music from 2010 onwards when perhaps I should.

This is a bonza Rob as we say in OZ , I hadn't heard much of their material before but I might be in the future.

Excellent instrumentation , love the control on most of the tracks and tempo changes.

Would like to see this band live as well.

No real standouts that I would rate a 9 but not a single track I wouldn't play again and overall the album gels and each track creates that necessary article of virtu that you look forward to what is next.

Has to be an 8 for me and on reflection your best selection to date which for me is a surprise as I don't listen to much music from 2010 onwards when perhaps I should.
Glad you enjoyed it. It is one of those albums with very few weak tracks. As I’ve said in album reviews before, I like it when there’s a consistency in sound from track to track - songs with different tempos but you can tell they are all from the same recording sessions and belong together.

It is my favourite from the last 10 years and is in my top 5 21st century albums. I’m probably like you in that my favourite albums are from many years ago, but I like to listen to new music and do occasionally find a gem.

Interesting this, on my first couple of listens Tied is my favourite track so far. I’m struggling with a country vibe which I can’t stop hearing but I’ll give it a few more goes whilst slapping some paint on the walls tomorrow - oh joy!!

A 9 for me.

Only had one listen but if American Man is one of the weakest then this must be a good album.

Quite enjoyed this album overall and it was quite a surprising one. I couldn't make out what genre it was as it seems to cross from blues to bluegrassy to punk to rock! That actually made it a lot more interesting than if it had just been one genre.

Some very good tracks on this album and liked the first couple the most.

Overall a good album and one I will come back to in the future.

I'm not sure whether it fully deserves an 8 but 7 feels a bit too low. I'm feeling generous so 8 it is!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.