The Album Review Club - Week #144 - (page 1893) - XO - Elliot Smith

The Album Review Club – Week #93

The Tubes – The Tubes (1975)

Selected by FogBlueInSanFran
1695826990010.png

I know, I know . . . this is ridiculous.

“The Tubes” seems like the soundtrack to some failed 70s glam rock musical about drug addicts, or maybe “Tommy” were it done by some freakish combination of Kiss, Blood Sweat & Tears and the London Symphony Orchestra.

But this record means a lot to me.

That’s because despite San Francisco’s rich musical tradition, no other album reminds me so much of home.

The Tubes are San Francisco through and through. I’ve run into Fee Waybill at a Benihana, Roger Steen at a baseball game and Re Styles (not in the band yet on this record, but those are her hands on the cover) shopping at a supermarket over the course of my life.

For all its drawbacks – past, current and future – San Francisco is still a remarkably diverse city, unique in America save for maybe New York, in the variety of its neighborhoods, architecture, people, social status, and (as those of you who’ve been here know) climate.

Like the New York-based Beastie Boys’ “Paul’s Boutique”, “The Tubes” is a celebration of all of that, but couched in the 70s, when sex, drugs and rock and roll – all done to excess – were the bywords of white middle/upper-class culture here.

This record is unapologetically colo(u)rful, loud, brash, smutty, and filled with every instrument known to humankind – dozens of them. Is it pop? Rock? Prog? Big band? Metal? Show tunes? Punk? It’s a combination of all these.

I expect some of you to hate this, but I’m doubtful any of you will be bored. If you dislike a tune, skip to the next, because it will be different, I assure you. In fact, in many of these songs, you can simply wait one minute, and then the tempo and instrumentation will shift, radically so in some cases.

The thing is, as loony as The Tubes are, they can write and they can play. Certainly this record is produced in balls-to-the-wall fashion (by Al Kooper no less), but keep an ear out some really talented musicians showing off – especially the drummer, Prairie L’Emprere Prince (his real name), whose crazed fills are everywhere.

To me each of the eight songs offers something funny, rousing, celebratory, hooky and most definitely over-the-top. I do tend to love records that don’t take themselves seriously, and this one (and this band) lead a lot of other artists in that regard. From the opener “Up From The Deep”:

“Listen to our single / Watch how they play it / Tell me how you want it / That's how I'll have our guitar player, Roger Steen, play it / Listen to him / [guitar riff] . . . And all my boys will play along / Even if they don’t like the song.”

See? Ridiculous.

From there we have “Haloes”, and if you’ve ever driven the 101 freeway and exited the Rainbow Tunnel (now named after Robin Williams) in Marin County as the best view of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge spills before you on a fogless day with the ending guitar solo playing at top volume, you’ll come as close to a spiritual high as you can.

1695827240540.png

Things slow down with “Space Baby” and then a completely random cover of Mexican standard “Malaguena Salerosa” (covered by over 200 bands if you believe Wikipedia).

Side two amps up the guitar with “Mondo Bondage” (about exactly what you think it is) before segueing into an all time-70s classic “What Do Want From Life?”(“What do you want from life? / To try and be happy / While you do the nasty things you must”). If you want a time machine to observe 1970s American consumerism in all its glory, this is for you.

Next we have the unabashedly sexist “Boy Crazy” (also about exactly what you think it is) before we get to the piece de resistance, and one of my favo(u)rite songs of all time.

“White Punks On Dope” – affectionately known to all as “WPOD” – is basically San Francisco’s version of “Won’t Get Fooled Again.” Later covered by Motley Crue (yuuuucccckkkk), this is a song about rich drug addicts on the edge of suicide, and it’s as close to pre-punk as 1975 got. Of course, like everything else here, it crosses the silliness border. To wit:

“All the dudes are livin’ in the ghetto / But born in Pacific Heights don’t seem much bett-ooooo”.

See? Ridiculous. Again.

From the chatter in Japanese that opens and closes it to the full-speed name-checking of a bunch of 70s American celebrities, kinck-knacks and automobiles; from the mariachi cover to the punk/metal/arena rock anthem; from the periodically lumbering tempos morphing into insane firework-filled solos, “The Tubes” will always be one of my favo(u)rite records.

BECAUSE it’s totally ridiculous. Just like my home town.

Last edited:
The Album Review Club – Week #93

The Tubes – The Tubes (1975)

Selected by FogBlueInSanFran
View attachment 94457

I know, I know . . . this is ridiculous.

“The Tubes” seems like the soundtrack to some failed 70s glam rock musical about drug addicts, or maybe “Tommy” were it done by some freakish combination of Kiss, Blood, Sweat & Tears and the London Symphony Orchestra.

But this record means a lot to me.

That’s because despite San Francisco’s rich musical tradition, no other album reminds me so much of home.

The Tubes are San Francisco through and through. I’ve run into Fee Waybill at a Benihana, Roger Steen at a baseball game and Dee Styles (not in the band yet on this record, but those are her hands on the cover) shopping at a supermarket over the course of my life.

For all its drawbacks – past, current and future – San Francisco is still a remarkably diverse city, unique in America save for maybe New York, in the variety of its neighborhoods, architecture, people, social status, and (as those of you who’ve been here know) climate.

Like the New York-based Beastie Boys’ “Paul’s Boutique”, “The Tubes” is a celebration of all of that, but couched in the 70s, when sex, drugs and rock and roll – all done to excess – were the bywords of white middle/upper-class culture here.

This record is unapologetically colo(u)rful, loud, brash, smutty, and filled with every instrument known to humankind – dozens of them. Is it pop? Rock? Prog? Big band? Metal? Show tunes? Punk? It’s a combination of all these.

I expect some of you to hate this, but I’m doubtful any of you will be bored. If you dislike a tune, skip to the next, because it will be different, I assure you. In fact, in many of these songs, you can simply wait one minute, and then the tempo and instrumentation will shift, radically so in some cases.

The thing is, as loony as The Tubes are, they can write and they can play. Certainly this record is produced in balls-to-the-wall fashion (by Al Kooper no less), but keep an ear out some really talented musicians showing off – especially the drummer, Prairie L’Emprere Prince (his real name), whose crazed fills are everywhere.

To me each of the eight songs offers something funny, rousing, celebratory, hooky and most definitely over-the-top. I do tend to love records that don’t take themselves seriously, and this one (and this band) lead a lot of other artists in that regard. From the opener “Up From The Deep”:

“Listen to our single / Watch how they play it / Tell me how you want it / That's how I'll have our guitar player, Roger Steen, play it / Listen to him / [guitar riff] . . . And all my boys will play along / Even if they don’t like the song.”

See? Ridiculous.

From there we have “Haloes”, and if you’ve ever driven the 101 freeway and exited the Rainbow Tunnel (now named after Robin Williams) in Marin County as the best view of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge spills before you on a fogless day with the ending guitar solo playing at top volume, you’ll come as close to a spiritual high as you can.

View attachment 94458

Things slow down with “Space Baby” and then a completely random cover of Mexican standard “Malaguena Salerosa” (covered by over 200 bands if you believe Wikipedia).

Side two amps up the guitar with “Mondo Bondage” (about exactly what you think it is) before segueing into an all time-70s classic “What Do Want From Life?”(“What do you want from life? / To try and be happy / While you do the nasty things you must”). If you want a time machine to observe 1970s American consumerism in all its glory, this is for you.

Next we have the unabashedly sexist “Boy Crazy” (also about exactly what you think it is) before we get to the piece de resistance, and one of my favo(u)rite songs of all time.

“White Punks On Dope” – affectionately known to all as “WPOD” – is basically San Francisco’s version of “Won’t Get Fooled Again.” Later covered by Motley Crue (yuuuucccckkkk), this is a song about rich drug addicts on the edge of suicide, and it’s as close to pre-punk as 1975 got. Of course, like everything else here, it crosses the silliness border. To wit:

“All the dudes are livin’ in the ghetto / But born in Pacific Heights don’t seem much bett-ooooo”.

See? Ridiculous. Again.

From the chatter in Japanese that opens and closes it to the full-speed name-checking of a bunch of 70s American celebrities, kinck-knacks and automobiles; from the mariachi cover to the punk/metal/arena rock anthem; from the periodically lumbering tempos morphing into insane firework-filled solos, “The Tubes” will always be one of my favo(u)rite records.

BECAUSE it’s ridiculous.
I know you've mentioned The Tubes before, so this will be an interesting listen.

Whilst I've never heard their music before, I know two of the names: Fee Waybill and Prarie Prince. They played on Richard Marx's first two albums and Waybill even wrote some of the songs with Marx. I know it's going to be totally different music, but I thought it worth a mention.

I saw The Tubes live at the Free Trade Hall in 1977, i think my mate had this album
but I don’t recall any of the tracks other than WPOD so this’ll be interesting.
I think the main reason for going was to see the scantily clad female members of the band and it was a very visual stage show.

I’m vaguely familiar with these, mainly the live Tubes album I think from some weird best forgotten time of my life but am looking forward to giving it a listen. Will hopefully download while I’m up in Newcastle and give it a blast on the way home

I saw The Tubes live at the Free Trade Hall in 1977, i think my mate had this album
but I don’t recall any of the tracks other than WPOD so this’ll be interesting.
I think the main reason for going was to see the scantily clad female members of the band and it was a very visual stage show.
Completely over the top, weren't they? They were NUTS in concert but alas I only saw them in the 80s when their act had been toned down (I assume due to cost) and when they made their new wave move with another great record, "The Completion Backwards Principle."

While many could debate the best album cover of all time -- and that's a really, really fun discussion (I'd probably go for "Wish You Were Here") -- the back cover of TCBP is hands down my very favo(u)rite, with the band dressed as corporate managers complete with a company logo, slogan and the band members' "responsibilities" (Development, Motivation, Systems, etc.). I just adore it.

Ah the old toilet, lol, I just got the Utd reference in that set of clues! Funny.

Completely over the top, weren't they? They were NUTS in concert but alas I only saw them in the 80s when their act had been toned down (I assume due to cost) and when they made their new wave move with another great record, "The Completion Backwards Principle."

While many could debate the best album cover of all time -- and that's a really, really fun discussion (I'd probably go for "Wish You Were Here") -- the back cover of TCBP is hands down my very favo(u)rite, with the band dressed as corporate managers complete with a company logo, slogan and the band members' "responsibilities" (Development, Motivation, Systems, etc.). I just adore it.

Absolutel, Fee Waybill was strutting around stage on something like 10inch platform boots wearing a white curly long wig, think there may have been some pyrotechnics too, my mate remembers the stage wasnt ready for the start of the gig and we had to wait.
yep thats a very cool funny back cover, not seen it before.

This will be interesting.
I can remember not liking them way back as a teenager.
I wonder what my opinion will be over 40 odd years ago will be.
Didn't the singer nearly lose a leg with a chainsaw used onstage.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.