The Album Review Club - Week #144 - (page 1893) - XO - Elliot Smith

Guess that maybe answers my 'because of' or 'in spite of' point then. Being the first one, it would seem.

I suppose I was assuming a Greatest Hits also acts as a career retrospective but of course they're not necessarily the same thing. If an artist has a purple patch commercially a GH album might represent a relatively small period or aspect of their career. Similarly someone who always sets out to write a couple of radio friendly hits on each album, might have a GH that's a bit misleading too. It's only Friday, so out of curiosity I'll listen to a bit more of his stuff to see why my reaction to this album vs his debut are so different.

I had pretty much not heard any Foo Fighters until 2014 when I bought a few of their albums.

Sonic Highways is not perfect, but it's my favourite.

I think it was around 2010-11ish when they must have suddenly signed some invisible contract with radio stations thay they must be played at least 8 times a day, and must be proclaimed an all time great that everyone loves. In the UK at least.

And it worked too, everyone suddenly claimed they were a foo fighters fan, most without being able to name more than a song or two. Probably around the time of the wasting light album, which in fairness had a few good songs.

I honestly have no Idea what happened, but quite suddenly they were the biggest rock band ever of ever. But their music really suffered after that, became so generic (it partly always was, but at least it had a personal angle) to maintain the popularity and give people that want to claim they like the rock music, an ultra safe and trendy choice with zero substance. Pretenders!

Not sure if I’ve missed something as a ‘late’ entrant to this thread, but what does Foggy mean by ‘grade inflation’? Is it a thing and how is it policed?

Not sure if I’ve missed something as a ‘late’ entrant to this thread, but what does Foggy mean by ‘grade inflation’? Is it a thing and how is it policed?
I think he just means if he thinks that people are being too generous for the album under review, he will put a lowball score in to even things out.

There is no policing of what scores people give.

I think he just means if he thinks that people are being too generous for the album under review, he will put a lowball score in to even things out.

There is no policing of what scores people give.
Ah okay thanks - which begs the question how would he know lol

Ah okay thanks - which begs the question how would he know lol
I think he's stated his distaste for Bob Seger's music before and DLBH has picked up on that, hence the nomination.

Foggy's threat to balance the scores is playing into this setup.

That's my reading of the situation, through I may have misread it.

Greatest Hits – Bob Seger

Bob Seger – a huge seller of albums in the 80s, yet all I remember him for is “Shakedown” from Beverly Hills Cop II (not true, I do remember hearing “Night Moves” and “Against the Wind”).

“Roll Me Away” is a solid start but the shift up to “Night Moves” is significant. There’s something about the chords, the melody, the way he sings it that makes this a great song. The use of the keyboard to provide a bed for the song as it shifts into the second verse is a nice touch.

I don’t know what the studio version sounds like, but the live version of “Turn the Page” is similarly enjoyable. A nice moody piece.” "You'll Accomp'ny Me" is another that’s OK – a song that shuffles along nicely with a decent organ to back it.

“Hollywood Nights” is one of the best songs here. Nice song, nice organ backing – I’m starting to sound repetitive now, aren’t I? - Well, just hang on a minute.

"Still the Same”, “Old Time Rock & Roll” and “We’ve Got Tonight” are pure filler – well-intentioned lyrics building up to a singalong chorus with lots of female back vocalists – Filler on a greatest hits album!

I’ve heard “Against the Wind” before and I suppose this must be one of his most well-loved songs. It’s got a nice melody but it’s not as powerful as I remember it. After this improvement, it’s back to the filler. There’s nothing wrong with any of the songs individually, it’s just that none of them leave an impression. The lyrics of “In Your Time” made me chuckle, given everything that’s been said about Mr Seger in this thread. “Feel the wind. And set yourself the bolder course”, he sings, whilst no doubt grinning and hauling another bag of cash to the bank.

I notice that Mancitydoogle has said that he has always considered Bob Seger a poor man’s Springsteen, and on the evidence of this album, boy, he wasn’t kidding!

Look how the second paragraph of the Wikipedia entry on “Heartland Rock” starts:-

“The genre is exemplified by singer-songwriters Tom Petty, Bob Seger, Bruce Springsteen, and John Mellencamp ….”

Whilst that might be the case, I’d argue that Mr Seger is not fit to lick the boots of the other three. There’s little evidence here that he can write majestic epics like the Boss, or come up with inventive arrangements or social commentary like Mellencamp, and whilst he has a few decent tunes, they are not in the same league as Petty’s average songs, let alone his best.

Additionally, all three of these artists have bands whose members bring something unique to their sound, enhancing the songs of their singer. Whilst Seger undoubtedly has competent musicians, the hour of music presented here gives them little chance to shine.

However, I would always rather listen to this type of music than “experimental” music (in most cases, read: downright awful). It’s proper music approached and played in the right way, and Bob Seger has a pleasant voice. It comes as a soothing balm after a few recent choices, and for that reason I’m giving it 6/10.

PS: I notice there’s a Greatest Hits 2 if this wasn’t enough to sate your desire for Seger.

I've just had a fascinating interchange in the car with my 16 year old which speaks to your paragraphs that I've highlighted. I say fascinating because it was both completely at odds with your perspective whilst simultaneously sort of supporting it in relation to this album. This is it pretty much verbatim:

16 Year Old: Is this the album of the week?

Me: Yes, it's a guy called Bob Seger. It's his greatest hits.

16YO: Preferred Aphex Twin

Me: Actually, this is proving as divisive

16YO (pejoratively): This sounds like it's been written by an AI

Me: (playing devil's advocate): Do you not think there's a certain irony saying that, given that you've just said you prefer Aphex Twin

16YO: No and you know exactly what I mean

Me: Do I?

(at which point I remembered I was supposed to be the grown up and that we were pretty much at our destination anyway, so we agreed it was an interesting way of describing it and we should talk about it further).

Bearing mind he's guitar mad I thought it was really interesting that he viewed this organically created music as less 'human' than the computer generated output of last weeks pick. I'll find out later but I'm guessing he was referring to a combination of personality and inventiveness which he felt was lacking.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.