The Album Review Club - Week #144 - (page 1893) - XO - Elliot Smith

I suspected it was in jest, but in my role of thread runner, I thought I'd send a warning shot across the bows just in case :)

I'm glad that there seem to be a reasonable amount of people who are familiar with the thread even if they don't participate regularly. The door is always open for new nominators or even posters who just want to comment on and score the nominated albums.

First listen to XO this morning and it's much better than I remembered, but more about this in my full review.
First listen this afternoon, while pottering about doing various tasks.
First reaction?
Pretty good background music. A lot more bright than I was expecting from the write up. I quite liked the general feel and didn’t get the depressing vibe that was emanating from the narrative of the nomination.

I wasn’t overly concentrating on the lyrics and will give them more attention on the next listen.

By the end of it however, I was feeling, that’s enough of that for now. Not sure I could delve into any more of this right now. It was starting to sound like a spare room recording. Yes there are multiple instruments, multi layers, but it did actually feel like just one guy and I felt it needed some external input or production values.

As I’ve said, I’ll concentrate better on the next listen.

Gosh, not that many; that might be our resident Iron.

I am approaching 3,500 titles (about 4,400 discs). I do need to check that everything on the shelves has been logged.

I did a photo in here many many years ago of my cd collection, it was rather mammoth.

Sold everyone one a few years back of Music Magpie (some for 50p when I purchased them for £12-15!) but wanted rid.

Kept all my Beatles, Stones, Dylan and Oasis CDs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.