The Album Review Club - Week #144 - (page 1893) - XO - Elliot Smith

Nebraska & Texas...well thats a 10 from @RobMCFC
Interestingly I once bought this album ..... and then let it go. So it'll be interesting to see whether my opinion has changed all these years later. I can't remember any of the songs so it will probably be like listening for the first time.

First listen was pretty enjoyable and not what I expected. It sounds pretty British for much of it to me - it's possible the bands I'm thinking of though were ripping off American bands :) I guess it's almost impossible to not hear a Beatles influence in most music but there was a fairly strong aroma of them plus I think I'm hearing a bit of Pavement, foo fighters and Sufjan Stevens. I'll jump into some of his previous to hear the change alluded too in the og post.

I had an Elliot Smith CD once, picked up form a charity shop if I remember but I don't think I got much out of it. Perhaps I valued it less because of it's provenance. Obviously I value a nomination on this thread much higher.

First listen was pretty enjoyable and not what I expected. It sounds pretty British for much of it to me - it's possible the bands I'm thinking of though were ripping off American bands :) I guess it's almost impossible to not hear a Beatles influence in most music but there was a fairly strong aroma of them plus I think I'm hearing a bit of Pavement, foo fighters and Sufjan Stevens. I'll jump into some of his previous to hear the change alluded too in the og post.

Think it was someone one on here put me onto Elliot Smith, BM expanding horizons since 2021 (in the case of this thread). Good choice and another great highly personal write up.

Still not listened to it yet but there is is in the list of CDs I bought at some stage.

XO.jpg

I don't remember any of the songs, but I do remember that I bought it on the strength of a review but it didn't stick with me, or maybe I didn't stick with it long enough. I know it was one of the CDs that I gave away or sold. It will be certainly interesting to hear it again after all of these years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.