The Aleksandar Kolarov appreciation thread

brian the blue said:
All he lacks is pace. He's a great attacking full-back but if he comes up against pace he gets caught out.

Always been interested, for anyone who watched him before he moved here, did his injury when he first joined us (away at Spurs in the 0-0 opening day game) affect his pace in any way? He looked a lot sharper in pre-season friendlies for us and in video's of him at Lazio.

I've said this since that game, he seemed to have lost some explosiveness.

He is actually pretty fast over a long distance at top speed.

As the OP you know that I rate Kola but I don't think Clichy is weaker in term of attacking ability.

I still remember Clichy assists to Aguero and especially Yaya (newcastle away).
Kola is better than Clichy at freekick and crossing though.

I personally think he's fantastic, but I do understand some of the blame leveled against him defensively though sometimes it seems every little mistake is blown out of proportion, I feel some players get a lot more criticism than others.

But anyway, he's done a great job and rescued us in some vital games and I think he's much better suited to games where the opposing team park the bus, he should be starting a lot of the home games next season if things carry on as he won't ever have to defend.

On a side note, I've always fancied seeing him as a winger or even centrally (just to see in some carling cup game against a league two side) but I'm lead to believe he just can't play anywhere but LB. Is this true or can he play elsewhere?

MC ID said:
I personally think he's fantastic, but I do understand some of the blame leveled against him defensively though sometimes it seems every little mistake is blown out of proportion, I feel some players get a lot more criticism than others.

But anyway, he's done a great job and rescued us in some vital games and I think he's much better suited to games where the opposing team park the bus, he should be starting a lot of the home games next season if things carry on as he won't ever have to defend.

On a side note, I've always fancied seeing him as a winger or even centrally (just to see in some carling cup game against a league two side) but I'm lead to believe he just can't play anywhere but LB. Is this true or can he play elsewhere?

If David Beckham can play RM why can't Kola play LM. I really don't understand it.

Fulop's Reflex said:
MC ID said:

If David Beckham can play RM why can't Kola play LM. I really don't understand it.
Quite simple he has no pace and hasn't got any skill to go past players

greasedupdeafguy said:
Fulop's Reflex said:
MC ID said:

Quite simple he has no pace and hasn't got any skill to go past players

not unlike beckham

Colins Bellend said:
Maineman55 said:
FantasyIreland said:
Another myth.

Other than having a dangerous cross,he isn't particularly good at anything.

That's funny ! Then why did Mourinho try to sign him for Madrid, before he signed for us ?
Before. I'll bet he wouldn't sign him now. Bought as a left back and can't defend

Great Free Kick though. Without that late strike at home v Sunderland we would not be Premiership Champions 2012!!

I like him, I hope he sticks around. He's great back-up for Clichy and because of the system Mancini implements, the full backs cover a lot of ground and make a lot of purposeful movements; so rotation is key. For being such a 'hard ****' though he always turns his back on crosses into the box instead of manning up and taking a hit. Hopefully he cuts out the back turning nonsense next season.

I think his inability to block a cross coming into the box has directly led to too many chances and ultimately, goals conceded during his two year spell at the club. His lack of pace is also worrying.

A good player, but nothing more.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.