The anti road cycling thread

The only **** ‘cyclists’ out on the road are Deliveroo riders on e-bikes and youths on suped-up e-bikes wearing ski masks and pulling wheelies at 40mph. The latter NEVER have any lights or helmets on and both sets have zero regard for the Highway Code.
All other cyclists and forms of cycling should be encouraged. The roads were built for ALL road users not just cars.

Where I live, schoolchildren are occasionally out on bikes along with their teachers, cycling on roads, so I imagine something similar to what used to be called cycling proficiency in our day, is taught. I can’t remember cycling with teachers on roads when we did ours, perhaps we did but I can’t think back?
The year above me was the last year to do cycling proficiency. It was cut after that in our school (maybe countrywide?). I would guess around 1993.

A quick google suggests it was replaced by Bikeability, which was formed in 2017, so I don't know if there was anything between those two periods. My mum taught me all the rules and I rode a bike to school for years. Always put my hand out when turning, and all that other stuff.

20mph would not be too bad but most cyclist don't achieve that.
View attachment 108161
I can do 20mph quite easily and i'm not what you'd call a 'road cyclist'. i've just been doing it a long time so my legs are strong.

I've had cars trying to overtake on a 20mph road when i'm doing 20. Drivers just see a bike and think "in my way" and all concept of following road rules go out the window. Thing is, if drivers know most cyclists won't reach those speeds, when confronted with one on the road why do they still disregard the riders safety and overtake too closely and dangerously?

It's the "in my way" attitude again.

Rule 72, however the HC is a guide and not law, and also my post was my opinion not present road rules, so the highway code isn't relevent bar my opinion it should be changed
No the Highway Code itself isn't a "law" but following the RTA is and the Highway Code is part of it. Many of the Codes rules are actually a legal requirement, hence why officers refer to it during traffic violations.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.