The Ashes 2010/2011 thread

not a huge cricket expert but i think its mad. england were written off after the first innings and then completely turned it around. a draw in australia isnt a bad result considering the first 2 days.

M18CTID said:
Pigeonho said:
Whats the point?! Whats the point in having a sport where 2 men and one team can be so dominant over the other team, but only give a draw as a result?!!!

Daft sport.

Daft sport my arse. And if you'd bothered to follow this particular match, it wasn't just a case of 2 men on one team dominating the batting over the other team. There were also 2 Australian batsmen that dominated against England almost every bit as Trott and Cook did.

While everyone is entitled to their opinion and while I'd never expect cricket to be everyone's cup of tea, complaining about games ending in draws reflects the ignorance that some people have for the sport. There are plenty of football matches that end in draws too and there are plenty of football matches that are boring spectacles as well. However, while passages of play in cricket can admittedly be tedious, it can often be every bit as exciting as the greatest of football matches. The 2005 Ashes series was an awesome spectacle and arguably one of the greatest adverts for any sport ever, not just because England won but because it was so evenly contested and there were brilliant individual performances on both sides. Funnily enough, the Old Trafford test that year ended in a draw with England just failing to take the final Australian wicket but it was far from a boring match. As someone who attended the second day's play I'm not exaggerating when I say that the standard of play coupled with the atmosphere made it almost as enjoyable as any of the great games I've seen City play down the years.

It seriously gets my goat up when people moan about cricket - if one was to sit down and get a basic understanding of the sport (seriously, most of the rules are piss easy to follow) then they'd realise that tactically it's a fascinating game. Every ball bowled is like a game within itself.

One of the best posts iv read on here.

Stillsy said:
M18CTID said:
Daft sport my arse. And if you'd bothered to follow this particular match, it wasn't just a case of 2 men on one team dominating the batting over the other team. There were also 2 Australian batsmen that dominated against England almost every bit as Trott and Cook did.

While everyone is entitled to their opinion and while I'd never expect cricket to be everyone's cup of tea, complaining about games ending in draws reflects the ignorance that some people have for the sport. There are plenty of football matches that end in draws too and there are plenty of football matches that are boring spectacles as well. However, while passages of play in cricket can admittedly be tedious, it can often be every bit as exciting as the greatest of football matches. The 2005 Ashes series was an awesome spectacle and arguably one of the greatest adverts for any sport ever, not just because England won but because it was so evenly contested and there were brilliant individual performances on both sides. Funnily enough, the Old Trafford test that year ended in a draw with England just failing to take the final Australian wicket but it was far from a boring match. As someone who attended the second day's play I'm not exaggerating when I say that the standard of play coupled with the atmosphere made it almost as enjoyable as any of the great games I've seen City play down the years.

It seriously gets my goat up when people moan about cricket - if one was to sit down and get a basic understanding of the sport (seriously, most of the rules are piss easy to follow) then they'd realise that tactically it's a fascinating game. Every ball bowled is like a game within itself.

One of the best posts iv read on here.

Seconded. Just wish I was posting this from down under

Fantastic post!

There is definitely something in the modern era where sports that involve tactics and nous in exchange for a quick and thrilling buzz are seen as boring and people 'don't get them'. It is a reflection on modern society where entertainment (and life in general for that matter) is wanted immediately and patience has gone out of the window.

I love watching City under Mancini. I love watching cricket, especially test cricket. In fact I don't watch too much of the shorter version at all. Last night I stayed up until 6am to watch the Ashes and to watch American Football, another favourite of mine, and loved every minute of it. I also love watching golf and baseball too amongst other things.

I'm so glad I can appreciate those kind of sports.

It is a bit stupid that when you play for as long as they do in test cricket that they cant get a winner out of the match. No wonder a lot of people think that the test game is stupid or boring. Maybe a change in the rules would sort it out and give it a more attacking game. Or simplely whoever scored the most over those 5 days just get the win no matter what happens.

I got well into cricket after watching the test a couple of years ago that was on the BBC. It raised the profile of the sport and generated a lot of interest.

Then they sold it to sky

The crowd and the contest was also a great advert for Test Match cricket. Australia and England are just about the only two countries left that give a shit about it (along with South Africa).

T20 does not interest me in the slightest, especially as it doesn't allow for games to mature and momentum to sway from one side to the other. It'd be like every football match being a penalty shootout.

So yes, 30 hours of cricket and no result, but there can be exciting 0-0 draws in football too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.