"The Athletic" launches in the UK | About to be bought by NYT for $550m (p 32)

Presumably they'll all be outraged at them spending all of this money when they don't yet have the audience to make a profit in this country?
Not to mention the source of the venture capital.

I am sure the likes of Ronay will turn them down on principle...

Wonder if they'll be objective or just be a united platform to spew the usual American backed bile against us.

Still, at least it's ok for Dippers and media alike to take the money.

Time will tell, but I'm not sure it follows just from the identity of the owners. There's a lot of people outside Boston who don't like people from Boston, and there's a lot of people from outside Florida that don't like the Glazers. MUFC have not been a spectacular success story in the US, and MCFC usually gets fairer treatment in the US press than at home, which may be an indicator of where the new player's editorial stance will lie.

I'm sure our owner would not invest in this would he, surely not.
Much better to watch the old newspaper trade slowly sink into oblivion.
I remember a few years ago when the FT was already 75 percent digital it sold out to Nikkai because it could not compete.

Time will tell, but I'm not sure it follows just from the identity of the owners. There's a lot of people outside Boston who don't like people from Boston, and there's a lot of people from outside Florida that don't like the Glazers. MUFC have not been a spectacular success story in the US, and MCFC usually gets fairer treatment in the US press than at home, which may be an indicator of where the new player's editorial stance will lie.
There are many people in Boston that don’t like people from Boston. ;-)

The Athletic is considered a click-bait joke amongst journalists in the US.
Among journalists? Definitely not among readers. They generally hire very good writers and put out thoughtful, well done pieces... basically the opposite of click bait. From what I've seen they have a very good reputation also. Personally I think it's well worth the subscription.

Only thing I can think of is journalists are salty that they didn't get asked to join.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.