"The Athletic" launches in the UK | About to be bought by NYT for $550m (p 32)

I subscribed the first year it came out. They insisted they were going to be different from the main stream sports media and at the beginning it seemed ok.However as the season wore on it turned itself into nothing more than a Liverpool fanzine. I sacked it after that, they couldn’t pay me to subscribe now
Yeah, me too. I've even turned them down on their return tempters (3 months free, etc). Same old crap I'm afraid.

I subscribed the first year it came out. They insisted they were going to be different from the main stream sports media and at the beginning it seemed ok.However as the season wore on it turned itself into nothing more than a Liverpool fanzine. I sacked it after that, they couldn’t pay me to subscribe now

Weird model, they gave the impression that they are going to write quality content (The Blizzard, world soccer magazine). But because they need to make $$$ they go for the clickbait model and churn out verbose fluff about why player x didn't sign for club Y (his 15th choice) because he can't find the his favourite brand of cereal in the local supermarket and would be contractually obliged to only butter his toast on Wednesdays.

I joined and was on the £1/month subscription. Just checked and the 12 month offer period expired 3 months ago so was getting charged £7.99 a month.

Went to cancel and got an offer of £1.50 a month for a year so stayed but have set a reminder to cancel in 12 months.

There are some good articles but an increasing amount of fluff. The comments section has go downhill since I have been a member - too many oil money, cheat code crap - needs better moderating.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.