The Bluemoon Song Cup 2023

Aldous track sounds like the Brokeback Mountain tune that plays all through that film. Nice though.

Eilish track ok but bit average.

I've checked out a bit of Aldous Harding based on discussion in other threads, no surprise she's on 4AD very much fits with that labels vibe, I think she occupies roughly the same space in their roster as Heidi Berry did in the 80s/90s not so much directly comparable in musical terms but in sensibilities. Artists like her will struggle in a thread like this because it takes a bit of time to tune into her wavelength.

I don't know lots of Billie Eilish but some bits I've heard sound decent, this seems to be veering a bit towards regulation pop. Reminds me a bit of the kind of thing Taylor Swift put on her lockdown album (and yes by definition that does mean I have listened to at least one Swift album).

The Aldous Harding track is lovely until she starts singing. Not a fan of her voice. Billie Eilish is obviously huge, although I'd imagine perhaps not to the majority on this forum, and it's one of her most famous songs. The production is brilliant, and I think that's what makes so many of her songs so good (to my ears at least). I think she was about 14 when she recorded it as well, the maturity of the vocals are quite something when you consider that.

Agree with others though, whatever song gets through is going out in the next round!

The Eilish just annoys me with those crap pseudo drum sounds. She would be better if she went more real acoustic rather than her autotuned voice electronica.
On the the other hand the Aldous Harding thrives on its pure acoustic nature. It is stunning, yet strangely I don't feel like I want to listen to it again. It sounds like it should be part of a film soundtrack where the only time you hear it is the one time you watch the film.

Harding takes it for me, but unconvincingly

The Eilish just annoys me with those crap pseudo drum sounds. She would be better if she went more real acoustic rather than her autotuned voice electronica.
On the the other hand the Aldous Harding thrives on its pure acoustic nature. It is stunning, yet strangely I don't feel like I want to listen to it again. It sounds like it should be part of a film soundtrack where the only time you hear it is the one time you watch the film.

Harding takes it for me, but unconvincingly
She's one of your own is Aldous, assuming you are a Kiwi and not an incomer...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.