The Bluemoon Song Cup 2023

For a Mancunian twist on this round, I urge you all to listen to The Fall's version of A Day In The Life
I still have that NME ‘Sgt Pepper Knew My Father’ cassette. Some dross on it, but also some good covers too and the Fall one is excellent. Best of all though is Sonic Youth’s ‘Within You Without You’ which I’d humbly argue is the best cover I’ve ever heard and knocks the original into a cocked hat.

I still have that NME ‘Sgt Pepper Knew My Father’ cassette. Some dross on it, but also some good covers too and the Fall one is excellent. Best of all though is Sonic Youth’s ‘Within You Without You’ which I’d humbly argue is the best cover I’ve ever heard and knocks the original into a cocked hat.
Yet another reminder someone needs to do a Sonic Youth record on the albums thread.

"Teenage Riot" remains one of my favo(u)rite songs of all time (and the riff is in my top 10 of all time) but they have scores of other belters. Great band. Harkens back when the term "alternative" really meant something and not fucking Toad The Wet Sprocket or some shit.

I voted for The Beatles but wow was this tough. I’ve always found A Day In The Life so haunting — it’s just unique in that regard. No other song gives me quite the same feeling. That said, Gimme Shelter is absolutely a top Stones tune. But it isn’t “Can’t You Hear Me Knocking”, so The Beatles win. Two titans!
Wish I'd picked I Want You (She's So Heavy) now. Always my favourite Beatles song and the bass...oooh the bass!

Yeah, as a love of proper poetry and lots of sructure in music, this one is easy. I only like about 4 stones tunes.

It's Gimme Shelter. It's so close to the essential experience of gospel, and the blues. Agony and ecstacy.

For a Mancunian twist on this round, I urge you all to listen to The Fall's version of A Day In The Life as well as Inspiral Carpets version of Gimme Shelter
Loved the Inspiral Carpets version. Think it’s because it sounds so different to the original. If you’re gonna do a cover make it sound different to the original.

I voted for The Beatles but wow was this tough. I’ve always found A Day In The Life so haunting — it’s just unique in that regard. No other song gives me quite the same feeling. That said, Gimme Shelter is absolutely a top Stones tune. But it isn’t “Can’t You Hear Me Knocking”, so The Beatles win. Two titans!
You know I appreciate your take on musical matters Foggy - in what way matey?

You know I appreciate your take on musical matters Foggy - in what way matey?
As a kid I found the following lines kind of scary-sad . . .

"He blew his mind out in a car
He didn't notice that the lights had changed
A crowd of people stood and stared
They'd seen his face before"

And Ringo's drumming is this slow rolling fill -- not funereal but very odd.

And then the counterpoint of gawkers at a car crash vs. crowds ignoring the return of soldiers who sacrificed everything.

I've just always found it very moving. I am sure the way it impacted me as a child is why it stays with me now.

Like choosing who is your favourite child. a very hard decision to make. Gimme Shelter would muller 99% of any songs it was put up against and I've voted for it previously, but it's the Beatles in this round for me, but purely based on that song meaning more for me at various parts of my life.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.