The Bluemoon Song Cup 2024 - P220 - R2/M109 - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (Hold On To Yourself) v Wilson Pickett (Bring It On Home To Me)

On a list of best Deep Purple songs Hush is a long way down. But you can hear them working out their sound - in particular Jon Lord's Hammond organ becoming so prominent. Up against a good version of I heard it through the Grapevine it wouldn't get close - but this is a dreadful version that totally murders a classic. Deep Purple gets my vote.

We've already had the definitive version of IHITTG. Plus, who can resist that Hammond on "Hush"?
Interestingly, I didn't know this was a cover.

Don't think it's even the first cover of it but as you say the Hammond makes it. The original isn't at all bad for a 60s pop song and we've dodged a bullet with Kula Shaker, so all good for me.

Don't mind The Slits, or to be more precise have always had a bit of time for Viv Albertine, but this is not one of their better efforts imo.

That Slits songs seems to be played every day on 6 Music. I'm not too keen on the vocal style, trying too hard to alter the inflection to make it more punk.

Good to hear some early Purple- NICE slice of Hammond.

Don't think it's even the first cover of it but as you say the Hammond makes it. The original isn't at all bad for a 60s pop song and we've dodged a bullet with Kula Shaker, so all good for me.

Don't mind The Slits, or to be more precise have always had a bit of time for Viv Albertine, but this is not one of their better efforts imo.
I love the Kula Shaker version. For me they were the best British band of the 90s. Better singer than Blur, Oasis etc., and crucially a far better sound from the instruments.

They are already (and have been for a while) on the list of future albums to review.

I love the Kula Shaker version. For me they were the best British band of the 90s. Better singer than Blur, Oasis etc., and crucially a far better sound from the instruments.

They are already (and have been for a while) on the list of future albums to review.
Saw Kula Shaker a few weeks back at The Ritz - still a terrific watch and listen.

Their latest album is pretty good........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.