The Bluemoon Song Cup 2024 - P222 - R2/M110 - Manfred Mann's Earth Band (Blinded By The Light) v The Cardigans (My Favourite Game)

I do like what Pentatonix have done with Sound of Silence - putting there own spin on to classic song. They've had a bad draw up against Grapevine - but then in the Covers category we are back to is Marvin Gaye's Grapevine really a cover? It was the second recording of the song and the third released. But, it was part of that Motown policy of giving a number of their artists a newly written song and seeing who produced the definitive version - Gaye won. So is that really a cover version?

But, won't matter when it's in the uncategorised second, third etc rounds ...

I do like what Pentatonix have done with Sound of Silence - putting there own spin on to classic song. They've had a bad draw up against Grapevine - but then in the Covers category we are back to is Marvin Gaye's Grapevine really a cover? It was the second recording of the song and the third released. But, it was part of that Motown policy of giving a number of their artists a newly written song and seeing who produced the definitive version - Gaye won. So is that really a cover version?

You have a good point. Though it was before Marvin Gaye did this song, both Elvis and Carl Perkins recorded Blue Suede Shoes. I believe, but am not 100% positive, Elvis recorded it second. However, it wasn't considered a "cover." Multiple Artists were allowed to record the same songs at that time.

If it was the 2nd recorded and 3rd released, then it is a cover IMO.

You have a good point. Though it was before Marvin Gaye did this song, both Elvis and Carl Perkins recorded Blue Suede Shoes. I believe, but am not 100% positive, Elvis recorded it second. However, it wasn't considered a "cover." Multiple Artists were allowed to record the same songs at that time.
I think the story with that was that Elvis was offered it - but said No, that's Carl's song he has to record it first. So he did - Elvis's was a cover and I'm sure Carl Perkins didn't mind the royalties.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.