The Bluemoon Song Cup 2024 - P85 Round 1 / CC /M35 - Kraftwerk (Autobahn) v The Birthday Party (Dead Joe)

Loved the Wilson Pickett. He hasn't got the purity of Sam Cooke's soulful voice on it but his slightly gravelly take on it is fabulous. Great to hear some proper soul- Otis, Sam Cooke, Marvin, Aretha were superb but none of the modern so called soul artists can hold a candle to them.

The Pet Shop Boys on the other hand were like the Norwegian Blue- E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker
Sam is the original King of Soul and like you I presume I am old enough to remember the original when it was still played on radio and clearly best version of this song.

To think Sam Cook not Cooke left us at 33 is one of the travesties of music and of course his little piece between his legs got the better of him in the end as it has many a pop star in one way or another but that doesn't detract from his voice and song writing talents and as you say this was music you could listen to over and over again and never get tired of it.

I prefer the Eddie Floyd version
The joy of this thread is going down various wormholes and discovering lots of new versions - so I discovered that the original (Dixie) Chicks line up recorded a lovely version with just a finger-click and bass accompaniment. It's a great song and that means lots of versions are possible.

Sam is the original King of Soul and like you I presume I am old enough to remember the original when it was still played on radio and clearly best version of this song.

To think Sam Cook not Cooke left us at 33 is one of the travesties of music and of course his little piece between his legs got the better of him in the end as it has many a pop star in one way or another but that doesn't detract from his voice and song writing talents and as you say this was music you could listen to over and over again and never get tired of it.
I'm not actually as old as that- I had to make more of an effort to listen to the best!
Cooke does have a E though :-)

Get the tissues at the ready...

Rules/scores will all be on page 1.
first round only all fixtures will compete in category order.

Please click 'Like' on the song you prefer.

Round 1/CA/M 6
Category A - Cover Songs

Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U
V
Warren Zevon - Knockin On Heavens Door

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.