The Boxing thread

UFC has become more appealing than boxing and last night’s even at MSG was brilliant from top to bottom, sounds like the boxing was meh again? Golden Boy have gone head to head with the UFC before and lost heavily on PPV’s so decided against trying it again.
After winning last night Jorge Masvidal (UFC) said he’d fight Canelo in another crossover fight in the future so we might see another one similar to Mayweather/McGregor, you won’t have to wait up until 6am to watch that one. ;)
Boxing could certainly learn a lot from UFC in terms of how to run a sport. The Diaz v Mas fight was entertaining, tough guys absolutely having it. The amount of times they land shots flush on the chin with 4oz gloves to little effect makes me think that either they have amazing granite chins or more likely they punch relatively lightly. Canelo’s in his prime unlike Mayweather was v Conor and he’d do any ufc guy serious damage in a boxing contest.

Canelo vs Jacobs was a much closer fight, to fight Canelo your footwork has to be perfect and Jacob's movement against Canelo was brilliant . Krusher didn't do much against Canelo, he looked exhausted, probably didn't have enough recovery time after fighting Yarde.
Agreed. Wont be popular opinion on BM but sky's commentary was the biggest farce for me. Who was it co-commentating Enzo Mac? He was clearly desperate for Canelo to lose, called 1-5 of his power shots and was calling jabs for Kovalev that were clearly hitting his gloves. You don't score rounds for backing up and hitting gloves, that's being ineffectively/inefficiently busy in my book. I thought he had the wrong gameplan from the off personally. I had it even but I could see Kovalev up a round maybe since there wasn't much in the rounds to give it either way. Kovalev was fading in the last few rounds though and I was expecting Canelo to bank those last 2 atleast.

Respect to Jeff Mayweather for calling it how it was in his reaction, quite a borefest for the most part, for a fight that shouldn't have been, mainly down to Kovalevs tactics. Many were bitter because they were desperate for a Canelo loss and even more disappointed they didn't even get to moan about the judges and call it a robbery because of the pesky knockout. There's some resorting to claiming it was fix and Kova took a dive, it's embarrassing the way some so go on.

Congrats to the proven steroid cheat Fury on his WWE win too. :)

Last edited:
Well done to Katie Taylor, thought some of the cards were generous but the right fighter won. Her opponent was lively and dangerous until the last bell, Katie should have stuck with what was working in the first few rounds, instead of trading and it would have been more comfortable. Easier said than done I guess, Linardatou was jumping across the ring at times.

Last edited:
Agreed. Wont be popular opinion on BM but sky's commentary was the biggest farce for me. Who was it co-commentating Enzo Mac? He was clearly desperate for Canelo to lose, called 1-5 of his power shots and was calling jabs for Kovalev that were clearly hitting his gloves. You don't score rounds for backing up and hitting gloves, that's being ineffectively/inefficiently busy in my book. I thought he had the wrong gameplan from the off personally. I had it even but I could see Kovalev up a round maybe since there wasn't much in the rounds to give it either way. Kovalev was fading in the last few rounds though and I was expecting Canelo to bank those atleast.

Respect to Jeff Mayweather for calling it how it was in his reaction, quite a borefest for the most part, for a fight that shouldn't have been, mainly down to Kovalevs tactics. Many were bitter because they were desperate for a Canelo loss and even more disappointed they didn't even get to moan about the judges and call it a robbery because of the pesky knockout. There's some resorting to claiming it was fix and Kova took a dive, it's embarrassing the way some so go on.

Congrats to the proven steroid cheat Fury on his WWE win too. :)

I am not a Canelo fan myself but I think people were so desperate for GGG to defeat Canelo and when that didn't happen, Canelo became the new bad guy, kind of like what happened with Floyd and Manny.

I am not a Canelo fan myself but I think people were so desperate for GGG to defeat Canelo and when that didn't happen, Canelo became the new bad guy, kind of like what happened with Floyd and Manny.
I don't think this fight makes him P4P king(Loma for me) but I do admire his craft and think many of the hardcore let bias cloud their judgement of just how excellent a fighter he is. Boxing has always had villains I suppose, I never used to like Mayweather myself but I did eventually have to acknowledge how good he was(which I already knew but was picking at things to take away from it, like the scorecards, the catchweights, delay tactics etc ), especially after he battered Hatton. I so wanted Manny to be the guy to do it though.

Hearn was talking about boxing fan mentality recently(how catty they can be on the whole) and it struck a chord, it's far more visible on social media these days and a reason I tend to ignore the twitter side of it and comment as little as possible on youtube. There's also this cred thing that happens where everyone has to hate anything too popular and anything that brings mainstream/casual attention is the enemy rather than healthy for the sport. I think both AJ and Canelo have seen their fair share of that treatment from the hardcore support in their own countries.

Last edited:
Boxing could certainly learn a lot from UFC in terms of how to run a sport. The Diaz v Mas fight was entertaining, tough guys absolutely having it. The amount of times they land shots flush on the chin with 4oz gloves to little effect makes me think that either they have amazing granite chins or more likely they punch relatively lightly. Canelo’s in his prime unlike Mayweather was v Conor and he’d do any ufc guy serious damage in a boxing contest.
You need to look at their previous fights if you think they don’t knock people out - Masvidal in particular, you can even check him out bare knuckle fighting in Kimbo Slice’s back garden from years ago fighting bigger guys than himself when he was really young. I’m not saying he’d out-box Canelo but some regard him as the best pure boxer the UFC has ever seen, he’d give a far better account of himself than McGregor did. I can’t see it happening as Dana White has a history with Oscar De La Hoya - who famously urged boxing fans not to watch the Mayweather and McGregor fight.

You need to look at their previous fights if you think they don’t knock people out - Masvidal in particular, you can even check him out bare knuckle fighting in Kimbo Slice’s back garden from years ago fighting bigger guys than himself when he was really young. I’m not saying he’d out-box Canelo but some regard him as the best pure boxer the UFC has ever seen, he’d give a far better account of himself than McGregor did. I can’t see it happening as Dana White has a history with Oscar De La Hoya - who famously urged boxing fans not to watch the Mayweather and McGregor fight.
Different sports pal, he’d be outclassed. Fighting bums on the street is all well and good and I’m sure compared to the average amateur boxer he’d have decent power but world class boxing is a whole different entity

Different sports pal, he’d be outclassed. Fighting bums on the street is all well and good and I’m sure compared to the average amateur boxer he’d have decent power but world class boxing is a whole different entity
Of course it is, in a boxing match the boxer would obviously have an advantage. If the boxer fought in the octagon then the MMA fighter would obviously have the advantage - that’s why it should only be viewed as a money maker and not a real fight. I can’t see it happening anyway but Masvidal would do a lot better than McGregor did as his boxing/striking is far superior.

Well done to Katie the 3 Irish boxer to be a 2 weight world champion following Steve Collins and Carl Frampton. She has some talent Katie used to watch her training in the ams years back she be training and sparing the likes of Paddy Barnes , John Joe Nevin and Michael Conlan to name a few and was holding her own against some of them. So no surprise to see her be a 2 weight champion. Being honest 1 more year of Katie and hang them up. Would love to see her fighting and headlining in Ireland needs to happen imagine not even fighting once in Ireland all wins on the road is some going. She would sell out anywhere in Ireland. If Matchroom could get everything sorted for it.
As for Crolla no way he won that fight. I had him losing by 2 and thats me being generous to him.

Canelo v Kovalev.
Canelo is a crafty so and so. Kovalev couldnt fully rehydrate. If he could i am more than confident that Kovalev would of won that fight and not been stopped he might of even stopped Canelo. Canelo had him at the end of his best but still added in the clause. I just dont get the Canelo and yeah a 4 weight world champion is some going but the questions marks will be there. Well managed and getting the fights at the right time. Another for me in the same bracket as Canelo is Santa Cruz my god both are well managed.

Of course it is, in a boxing match the boxer would obviously have an advantage. If the boxer fought in the octagon then the MMA fighter would obviously have the advantage - that’s why it should only be viewed as a money maker and not a real fight. I can’t see it happening anyway but Masvidal would do a lot better than McGregor did as his boxing/striking is far superior.
Agree with you, the only people who benefit are the promoters and to a lesser extent the fighters. I avoid such contests like the plague as I’m sure all genuine boxing and MMA fans do. Such events are strictly for twice a year fight fans who buy into all the build up grudge fight type nonsense.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.