The Boxing thread

Lets be honest you can now talk your way into a big fight. With Twitter and social media so powerful now they will now more than likely get this fight on and I hope it is in the next 6 months. I do like both and Wilder is right about a champion needing to travel to fight he has travel around the world to fight a few fights so far. I think he will sell the fight big time. I think if they want this fight to bringing heavyweight boxing back to big time US in Vegas then this fight has to be the 1 to bring to Vegas. Now will Hearn and AJ go to Vegas to fight or will they milk the money they will get from a Wembley or Cardiff instead and fight a Parker first.

I know Wilder is a loud mouth but fuck it people will pay top dollar to see loudmouths get beaten. Look at the numbers Money v McGregor done people tuned into that fight more so to see McGregor getting KOd and it happen. This wont do as well as that fight in the PPV numbers and i do think that this could be the fight to bring heavyweight boxing back to the US. Wilder and American public need this fight. We need America to be producing the bigger fighters in the heavyweights I long for a new Tyson a new Holyfield to get the fight game over there back on the up again.
I just found it funnier that Wilders team didn't even put a deal/contract together, just called AJ out and immediately claimed ducking even though there was fuck all to sign. If they wanted Eddie Hearn to sort the venue and everything they shouldn't be mouthing off about the need for it to be in Vegas.

Boxing has changed for the better in that respect, in terms of money a fighter doesn't need to crack the USA, it's way more global now AJ's last opponent made more than Wilder ever has for example.

I do agree for a fighters legacy they do need to be headlining in the big USA venues, Vegas, Madison Square Garden too perhaps. I like to see British fighters out in Vegas anyway but I don't like the "bombsquad" acting like they are big time and calling the shots, AJ calls the shots if it's in Vegas it's because he wants to.

I'd like to see AJ v Parker next year in March time at Wembley as that would be an easier fight for him than Wilder. Then Wilder in Vegas in Autumn 2018 followed by Fury in Spring 2019 if all gos to plan.

Well that part was nothing to do with him being feared, more to do with his excuses for not facing much top opposition if at all. I'd find it more weird that these fighters(all of whom would have added credibility to his record if he beat them) who had fallen foul of doping tests, did so deliberately just so they don't have to face Wilder... I'm pretty sure Wilder has used that as an argument but even he can't believe that surely? Haha.

I don't really think he is feared to begin with. I can't remember him chasing any big names for any length of time that wouldn't fight him, does anyone know where this claim comes from? Who exactly does he think was ducking him?

Wilder did some weird rant on either twitter or facebook (or probably both) when he was going on about 3 of his most recent opponents pulling out due to drugs violations and he then started going on about being the most feared heavyweight out there because these guys were seemingly unwilling to fight him on a level playing field. If he doesn't believe it then why put a video out to reach a global audience? He must know it would make him look daft and a bit delusional.

I've honestly got no idea. All I know about Wilder is he's a bizarre but engaging personality, can fight a bit, can punch a lot, is definitely flawed but equally dangerous because of how rough around the edges his skillset is. I tend not to take notice of politics and who blames who for fights not happening at whatever time, it really doesn't interest me and none of us outside of the negotiations ever have a clue who's telling what truth or what lie. All I know is in AJ and Wilder you have two world champs with different skills and it's a fight that can't help but be explosive while it lasts, IF it ever happens. Wake me up when it's a done deal!

jay_mcfc
New
I'd like to see AJ v Parker next year in March time at Wembley as that would be an easier fight for him than Wilder. Then Wilder in Vegas in Autumn 2018 followed by Fury in Spring 2019 if all gos to plan.

Thats a fight wilder should go for. Get that other belt, then target AJ. Makes that fight a complete unification, 2 belts each. Puts wilder in a much stronger negotiating position than he's in right now.

Wilder did some weird rant on either twitter or facebook (or probably both) when he was going on about 3 of his most recent opponents pulling out due to drugs violations and he then started going on about being the most feared heavyweight out there because these guys were seemingly unwilling to fight him on a level playing field. If he doesn't believe it then why put a video out to reach a global audience? He must know it would make him look daft and a bit delusional.

I've honestly got no idea. All I know about Wilder is he's a bizarre but engaging personality, can fight a bit, can punch a lot, is definitely flawed but equally dangerous because of how rough around the edges his skillset is. I tend not to take notice of politics and who blames who for fights not happening at whatever time, it really doesn't interest me and none of us outside of the negotiations ever have a clue who's telling what truth or what lie. All I know is in AJ and Wilder you have two world champs with different skills and it's a fight that can't help but be explosive while it lasts, IF it ever happens. Wake me up when it's a done deal!
Have you listened to him much? He does talk a lot of rubbish, it's part of his image though, boxers say what they have to sometimes, to sell the fights. I get that and it's nothing new, he doesn't believe half the stuff he says imo so I don't believe he is delusional to be fair.

It would be quite the spin to make it about him though(ie they took them because they are that scared to fight him on a "level playing field") do you yourself buy that they are scared of him? Did you look at the names I gave of the fighters he's talking about? Luis Ortiz is scared of Wilder? I wouldn't believe him trying to claim Povetkin was either... in fact I find that ludicrous.

For me it's one of two things he's either delusional or he's just spinning it to better his image(a nice way of putting it) and get around the fact that his record is missing big names/good fighters.

As far as I can see the only person saying Wilder is the most feared heavyweight is Wilder... when you have to say it yourself then you know it's hype talk. He's good, he's dangerous too don't get me wrong and I can see he needs to sell himself as he self promotes but really we don't have to try and give it credibility when it just takes a bit of common sense to pick apart.

Yeah I'm hopeful it does get made, I'd prefer AJ to win but I'm not writing Wilder off... it's a "pickem fight" as the Americans say. Could be a few fights out of it who knows?

Last edited:
jay_mcfc
New

Thats a fight wilder should go for. Get that other belt, then target AJ. Makes that fight a complete unification, 2 belts each. Puts wilder in a much stronger negotiating position than he's in right now.
So you're more a fan of Wilder then I take it? Personally I want to see AJ take them all on if he can(Wilder, Parker, Fury), great for British boxing(lets ride the high while it lasts), that one could be at Wembley too. The thing is the Parker fight wont be seen as dangerous if AJ beats Wilder before then(unless Parker can raise his profile a bit, I suppose) when that should be a megafight in it's own right for me. If everyone was going to get paid as much as they could from AJ unifying successfuly it would be this order Parker, Wilder, Fury.

Last edited:
I just found it funnier that Wilders team didn't even put a deal/contract together, just called AJ out and immediately claimed ducking even though there was fuck all to sign. If they wanted Eddie Hearn to sort the venue and everything they shouldn't be mouthing off about the need for it to be in Vegas.

Boxing has changed for the better in that respect, in terms of money a fighter doesn't need to crack the USA, it's way more global now AJ's last opponent made more than Wilder ever has for example.

I do agree for a fighters legacy they do need to be headlining in the big USA venues, Vegas, Madison Square Garden too perhaps. I like to see British fighters out in Vegas anyway but I don't like the "bombsquad" acting like they are big time and calling the shots, AJ calls the shots if it's in Vegas it's because he wants to.

I just think Aj has been extremely lucky all his fights has been in the UK. It literally shocked me the Klitschko fight was in the UK and I do wonder what would of happen if it was say in Germany would AJ of recovered from the knock down or would he of went into his shell fighting away from home??? We will never know but without the backing of the fans in that fight it lifted him to go and KO Kiltschko and fair fucks to him.

I am more than happy to see bigger shows around the UK and Hearn has done wonders for that and getting his fighters stadium fights. When you look at it AJ had a few , Froch too , Kell Brook and even Luke Campbell have all had big fights in stadiums to name a few and thats great from Hearn to do that. Saying all that deep down any fighter to lace those gloves up would love to be able to fight on a big Vegas card or a big American card and to headline Vegas for most fighters it must feel like they have made it in boxing.

Just trying to think who was the last fighter UK / Ireland fighter to headline in Vegas?? I think it was Carl Frampton in Vegas against Santa Cruz but its kind of a bit sad to see not too many of the UK fighters getting over there and making a impact in the big fights. I think James DeGale is doing great if he can stay injury free he could get big fights out there was always a critic of James but he has come on great since moving to the US. I only wish more would go over instead of staying at home. I think the elite can do it both say 2 fights a year 1 in the UK and 1 out in the US. I think AJ marketed right in the US would be bigger than Lennox Lewis and thats why Hearn is starting out in the US. Makes more sense for Hearn to have AJ V Wilder on 1 of his American Cards early next year. The undercard writes itself have DeGale on the undercard in his return fight. Also get Kel Brook on over there too as the 3 big fights to kick start 2018 over there.

As for Tyson Fury for the life of me I just dont see this ending in a good way. He has too many demons to be battling and it would be nice to see him fighting again but I get the feeling he will leave or retire from the sport before a big fight will get made. I honestly think him not getting his boxing license is a good move so far as he is on edge. It could very well go 1 way or the other in my opinion Fury stay retired and away from the ring you made your money.

I used to love watching boxing but it truly has become a circus now and it's dishonesty is on display for all to see.

Have you listened to him much? He does talk a lot of rubbish, it's part of his image though, boxers say what they have to sometimes, to sell the fights. I get that and it's nothing new, he doesn't believe half the stuff he says imo so I don't believe he is delusional to be fair.

It would be quite the spin to make it about him though(ie they took them because they are that scared to fight him on a "level playing field") do you yourself buy that they are scared of him? Did you look at the names I gave of the fighters he's talking about? Luis Ortiz is scared of Wilder? I wouldn't believe him trying to claim Povetkin was either... in fact I find that ludicrous.

For me it's one of two things he's either delusional or he's just spinning it to better his image(a nice way of putting it) and get around the fact that his record is missing big names/good fighters.

As far as I can see the only person saying Wilder is the most feared heavyweight is Wilder... when you have to say it yourself then you know it's hype talk. He's good, he's dangerous too don't get me wrong and I can see he needs to sell himself as he self promotes but really we don't have to try and give it credibility when it just takes a bit of common sense to pick apart.

Yeah I'm hopeful it does get made, I'd prefer AJ to win but I'm not writing Wilder off... it's a "pickem fight" as the Americans say. Could be a few fights out of it who knows?

Yes I've heard him talk plenty, he does talk utter nonsense. He's a yank, it comes naturally. And no of course I don't believe these guys were actually scared of him but of course he was going to cling to it and use it as an angle to try and claim he is a feared man. What else is he supposed to do when in general he is promoted terribly considering his status as world champion?

For the record, I'm actually not a major fan of either fighter we're talking about here but we have to give them relevance as they are the best of an average bunch, at least until Fury comes back. And I do make AJ the favourite if they do actually fight, but I do realise I've tried to sell the Wilder angle in this discussion though, mainly because as much as his technical deficiencies will land him in trouble at some point in the fight, he's also got the tools, and unquestionably the power, to be the equaliser at some point in the fight. He's an underdog in the AJ fight, but a dangerous one and I'd say like you said earlier, it's 60-40 in AJ's favour. No more than that though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.