The Boxing thread

I think the fact that Brook's dad is annoyed that Hearn wouldn't match Sky's offer to have it on DAZN, tells you why the Brook vs Khan fight is on PPV. The money to pay the fighters has to come from somewhere. Any word yet on how much they are both set to make?

I was thinking maybe Sky would still end up loosing money on it, even with the PPV but I'm not so sure anymore. They both still have their loyal fans that will pay for it. I agree this fight has come far too late in their careers and I don't blame anyone for not being interested in it anymore.

Last edited:
I was really surprised George Kambosos beat Teofimo Lopez at the weekend, well done to him. He fought brilliantly, true to his spartan heritage. Lopez was expecting to steam roll him and was caught off guard in the early rounds but there is no shame in that loss.

I was even more surprised on how badly he handled the decision after the fight and how he sidestepped the question about wanting a rematch to put it right. I feel like it's his father who's fuelling it, who's now trying to blame DAZN for the result going the way it did.

There was no robbery in that result though, it was a good fight, both men fought very well and dug deep. David Diamante didn't help when he announced the decision. He said the "AND STILL..." bit followed by "undefeated... AND THE NEW" that must have really messed with his emotions, when you think about it(like a winning goal being ruled out by VAR). Didn't help that his dad ditched him and left him reeling in the ring on his own post fight. That was poor form and I think he deserves a bit of leeway for handling it badly for some of the above. As long as he hold his hands up about it when he's cooled off.

He was booed by his own fans, for being a bad sport about it and for interrupting Kambosos, who was giving an emotional speech and dedicating the win to his grandparents. He interrupted to proclaim "I beat that boy... won 10 rounds" etc. He might have thought he won at the time but I really doubt he thought he won wide in that fight.

If he still thinks Kambosas only won 2 rounds after watching that fight back at home, then that's Wilder levels of delusion. It was a close fight and if Bob Arum had put that fight on, Kambosos would most likely be the one feeling hard done by, only he'd have more reason to. On first viewing, he edged that fight at the very least to my eyes(need to watch it again). I think they'd have called that a draw if it was on ESPN and that's what they are mad about(he's still a Bob Arum fighter though). Rightly or wrongly, edging a fight is rarely enough to take someone's belts from them, you have to win convincingly and a lot of those rounds were nicely competitive. So I can actually see the case for a draw on first viewing on that basis, even though I scored it differently.

Devin Haney vs Jo Jo Diaz might be a fun fight to watch at the weekend. Not fully sold on Haney yet but he's got a lot of potential at 23 years old. By that I mean, he's obviously very good but is he worth the hype he has been given so far? There's a few in his weight class like that, to be fair(Ryan Garcia etc).

Andrade vs Janibek has been ordered by the WBO this week, in other news. That should be a good fight. I rate Andrade but don't sleep on Janibek in that fight, I could see either fighter winning it. The middleweight division has been on notice about Janibek for some time. Only 11 pro fights but he's already being avoided and earned a mandatory spot in spite of that. The only shame for Andrade, is it's a very hard fight, that's not a big name. So it probably wont be the big pay day that he probably should have had by now. From Andrade's side, if he was going to face him at all, it's probably better to face him now, than after 20+ fights. On Janibeks side, he was seen as one of Top Rank's future stars and they are invested in him, so they obviously think he's ready, if they are pushing for this fight.

If Andrade wins, he probably wont get the credit he deserves. At least not until Janibek goes on to become a world champion, which most who have been following him, think will happen. If he loses, then that could see him waiting even longer or it might have the opposite effect and convince fighters like Charlo or GGG to take the risk with him finally.

Last edited:
I think the fact that Brook's dad is annoyed that Hearn wouldn't match Sky's offer to have it on DAZN, tells you why Brook vs Khan fight is on PPV. The money to pay the fighters has to come from somewhere. Any word yet on how much they are both set to make?

I was thinking maybe Sky would still end up loosing money on it but I'm not so sure anymore. They both still have their loyal fans that will pay for it.
It needs at least 400k sales to pay for the purse, admin and VAT from Sky alone - but they should net £1m from tickets after paying expenses on top of that, depends how much the undercard get and how much foreign markets pay.

No chance PPV covers the £8m purse suggested, but there are lot of other income sources. Maybe the £8m is overage if sales are excellent, as you can bet if there is a poor undercard and poor sales, Sky will have an out in the contract.

I think the fact that Brook's dad is annoyed that Hearn wouldn't match Sky's offer to have it on DAZN, tells you why the Brook vs Khan fight is on PPV. The money to pay the fighters has to come from somewhere. Any word yet on how much they are both set to make?

I was thinking maybe Sky would still end up loosing money on it, even with the PPV but I'm not so sure anymore. They both still have their loyal fans that will pay for it. I agree this fight has come far too late in their careers and I don't blame anyone for not being interested in it anymore.
The precedent was set for PPV when Bellew vs Cleverley 2 was on it. Thats the low (standard) benchmark and I'm pretty sure they still made money on it, for comparison they lost money on Lomachenko vs Campbell. Its a strange world!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.